Thailand's Major Crackdown: 177,000 Myanmar Workers Arrested

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: ELEVEN Myanmar

In an operation spanning 85 days, Thai authorities have arrested 177,804 Myanmar workers as part of a broader crackdown on illegal labour.

Taking place from 5th June to 28th August, this campaign saw inspections at 16,776 workplaces, factories, and construction sites across Thailand. Overall, authorities apprehended 232,906 illegal workers during this period, according to the Thai Ministry of Labour.

Breakdowns of arrests highlight Myanmar nationals clearly leading with 177,804 detained, followed by 34,620 Cambodians and 13,482 Laotians. Among the smaller numbers were 145 Vietnamese and 6,855 other nationals.

In addition to the mass arrests, officials also targeted 591 workplaces and apprehended a further 1,553 illegal migrant workers, highlighting 933 Myanmar nationals among them.

Cambodia contributed to 224 of these arrests, with Laos and Vietnam adding 203 and 26 workers respectively. Penalties were issued to the employers and employees alike.

Illegally employed foreign workers face fines from 5,000 to 50,000 Baht and subsequent deportation. These workers will also face a two-year ban from re-entry to Thailand for employment purposes.

For employers, the penalties are severe — fines range from 10,000 to 100,000 Baht per illegal worker, and repeat offenders may be incarcerated for up to one year with fines stretching between 50,000 and 200,000 Baht.

These employers could also face a three-year ban from hiring any migrant workers.

The Thai Ministry of Labour is taking serious steps to ensure compliance with labour laws, aiming to regulate the workforce and curb illegal employment. This extensive operation reflects the government's strong stance against illegal labour, reinforcing the necessity for proper documentation and legal pathways for employment within the country.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-04

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

i was in need of workers  ( helpers handyman)........ all efforts in pattaya lost of time

i got people from a rayong company i know, but only due to it was raining  ( they noramly bussy )

i tried 5 woodshops ( woodwork) , one said in 3 weeks they can do ( small wood job half day for prepare and install), all others no time , and the shop i normal go had only 2 workers instead of over 10 , and said they fabric it but no install.

and many many shops if granite, glass wood are closed down in the last 5 years, here

Thais are unwilling to make this jobs,now more than ever.you will find a security guy  or for every work whats not handjob , but handjob work  , even its payed good , no chance ( i think even many are overpayed bcs work is lack of knowledge, botch  and lazyness

Edited by lapamita
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, lapamita said:

(...) you will find a security guy  or for every work whats not handjob , but handjob work  , even its payed good , no chance ( i think even many are overpayed bcs work is lack of knowledge, botch  and lazyness

Reminds me of the time I went to  SCB near Victory Monument. No-one, incl. the branch manager, could speak or understand any English. That is with the exception of the security guard from Myanmar. Also, despite counting the money almost a dozen times, they still managed to give me an incorrect change amount... If I were to open a business in Thailand, it would have to be with only foreign staff; okay the Thais could do some basic cleaning tasks... 😆 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

For employers, the penalties are severe — fines range from 10,000 to 100,000 Baht per illegal worker, and repeat offenders may be incarcerated for up to one year with fines stretching between 50,000 and 200,000 Baht.

These employers could also face a three-year ban from hiring any migrant workers

Lets see naming and shaming of these companies who are hiring illegals.

And the jailing of the owners.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DougieMax said:

Wow, this is seriously nasty stuff. There is no way the people who got caught can pay any kind of fine. So what is the strategy here? Just let them rot in jail until they die? And how pathetic it must be for them if they have to sneak into Thailand for better employment prospects. The level of poverty and privation back home must be beyond most peoples' ability to comprehend.

One also has to ask where the money collected from employers in violation will wind up. That is some seriously big money there. Somebody will be getting rich(er), that's for sure. 

This is what they were doing in the southern jungle slave/people camps that were discovered surrounded by graves. People held and ransomed back to their families and if not then sold or !!!!!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Since Thailand does not offer any social security all Burmese workers earned money and distribute a lot of money to Thai economies, just even creating growth of economy by workforce. 

So I don't know why to arrest them instead of giving the the right documents to stay in Thailand.

I'm sure Thailand doesn't want to send them back to Burma to be killed by Burmese army. Or I'm wrong ??😳

11 hours ago, watchcat said:

So now it's the end of house building/construction in Thailand?

why?
a 1 year Non -L-A visa /wp and health insurance is now ONLY 6,500 baht!@!!
for a Burmese, Cambodia, or laos migrant>>

this could really screw up the Burmese cause now they will be sent home, where they wont be allowed to leave , even if they get a visa

They have closed Kwathoung/Ranong crossing for all Burmese between 18 and 35

will just lead to more gangs smuggling them across

Police are making $$$$$

here in Phuket, Police stop all Burmese riding bikes Knowing they don't have license's   and than charge them 500 baht/month if they keep riding their bikes 

Edited by zzzzz
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Reminds me of the time I went to  SCB near Victory Monument. No-one, incl. the branch manager, could speak or understand any English. That is with the exception of the security guard from Myanmar. Also, despite counting the money almost a dozen times, they still managed to give me an incorrect change amount... If I were to open a business in Thailand, it would have to be with only foreign staff; okay the Thais could do some basic cleaning tasks... 😆 

SCB Trat same same.

19 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I'm sure Thailand doesn't want to send them back to Burma to be killed by Burmese army. Or I'm wrong ??😳

You could be wrong don't forget the Junta's truck loads of money that was allowed over the bridge and flown out, it was videoed at the time,  Thailand is not neutral, and no questions were raised by anyone. 

• Agree 1

These are huge numbers.

My question, is why not employ them legally as they're obviously needed? Money I expect, the usual reason.

I feel sorry for the Myanmar group, they are shafted by the Junta when they get back.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

You could be wrong don't forget the Junta's truck loads of money that was allowed over the bridge and flown out, it was videoed at the time,  Thailand is not neutral, and no questions were raised by anyone. 

No, Thailand isn't neutral. Same kind of ruling people on both sides. Brothers in mind.

I was just thinking who will replace around 200.000 workers? Thailand might shoot themselves into the foot. ?

• Like 1