Canadian Arrested in Koh Pha Ngan for Illegal Work and Ecstasy Possession

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

1. Working Without a Work Permit: Under Section 8(1) of the Emergency Decree on Foreigners' Working Management, working without a permit or outside the scope of authorised work is illegal. Penalties range from a fine of 5,000 to 50,000 baht, deportation, and a two-year ban on reapplying for a work permit.

No mention of what's happening to the shop owner who hired him?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What often happens is the cops bust a "minor" drug dealer and search his phone/tablet/etc and then track down the people he/she was in contact with often.

Sometimes they pretend to be the dealer and arrange a "meet" so they can bust the buyer.
Sometimes they try to arrange a meet with the supplier to buy more drugs.

And a lot of foreigners here arrive with good intentions, spend all their money, hawk their passport/plane tickets, maybe borrow too much from family/friends and find themselves stuck in Thailand with no means of support.

On my first trip here in '93, I ended up getting to the airport with 35 baht to my name, then finding out there was a 500 baht "departure tax".
Almost no internet back then and no ATMs and no "bank" at the airport. I got lucky and was able to get on the flight.

I'm guessing a lot of foreigners aren't as lucky. They spend all their money, burn all their bridges and then have no way to get home and no source of income to live on.

So they wind up doing whatever they can to get by and hope that "something" happens (and that they don't get caught in the meantime).

Which is why it seems so many of them get busted with drugs I guess. Probably the easiest way to make money - without having to do "that" stuff.

I just hope I never end up in the same situation.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

What often happens is the cops bust a "minor" drug dealer and search his phone/tablet/etc and then track down the people he/she was in contact with often.

Sometimes they pretend to be the dealer and arrange a "meet" so they can bust the buyer.
Sometimes they try to arrange a meet with the supplier to buy more drugs.

And a lot of foreigners here arrive with good intentions, spend all their money, hawk their passport/plane tickets, maybe borrow too much from family/friends and find themselves stuck in Thailand with no means of support.

On my first trip here in '93, I ended up getting to the airport with 35 baht to my name, then finding out there was a 500 baht "departure tax".
Almost no internet back then and no ATMs and no "bank" at the airport. I got lucky and was able to get on the flight.

I'm guessing a lot of foreigners aren't as lucky. They spend all their money, burn all their bridges and then have no way to get home and no source of income to live on.

So they wind up doing whatever they can to get by and hope that "something" happens (and that they don't get caught in the meantime).

Which is why it seems so many of them get busted with drugs I guess. Probably the easiest way to make money - without having to do "that" stuff.

I just hope I never end up in the same situation.

I've lived in Phangan for 19 years we are not all druggies or drug dealers at his age he should have more sense there is a weed shop on every street corner if you want to get high no need to get the prohibited stuff so I have zero sympathies for the guy nor can he be skint as. he is working without a WP 

That whole island seems to be full of falang illigal workers and drug dealers, with so many busts going on you'd think they all would stop their illigal activities, they seem to have no idea what's going on around them. 

I think he may be entitled to a reduction in sentence for such excellent pointing. Eyes on the goods, straight arms and rigid digits. Ticks all the boxes. 

I bet the filth had a challenge to pronounce his name 🙂  Probably booked him under the name "Mr Ky".

Seem that Phangan is having a real crackdown on the 'illegals'.  Many reports of foreigners falling foul of the law.