Can you defend yourself?

The question remains 

Can you defend yourself adequately 

So we have an 82yo jogger who is attacked at 10pm in a Pattaya park.

We have no information on if he did fight back, perhaps he did 

But the question is ,are you confident enough to be able to defend yourself if some drunk grabbed you ?

If someone walks past you takes a swing for no reason 

Now doesn't matter your size or even your age 

I saw old boxers fight back 

Now it doesn't take size to defend yourself 

I once done a Israeli martial art called Krav Maga,the smallest people there seemed to be the best defenders 

And I don't care if it's the Philippines,USA or Australia,are you confident enough to be able to fight back ?

Because ain't no one going to help you.

Bystanders won't intervene ,they won't until others do

You could be on the street ,in a train , anywhere even in the back of a baht bus .

I was in the Philippines last year , I remember a fit looking elderly man.

He said he was a black belt in the Filipino martial arts of KALI 

This is knife 🗡️ fighting and he was a  Master

Now I have no idea if Philippines allows knife and please don't ever ever quote me on it !!!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I most likely wouldn't walk alone in a park in the night.

Well, I have trained Combat sports, been a security, but you ar just as good as you are, until you meet someone faster, stronger and more crazy than yourself.

So would I put myself in such a situation because I think I can defend myself? No

No but you can risk manage sure but you can't prevent it.

Ok so your coming through the door of the view talay 2B , I push in front of you 

I call you names ,all this wasn't your fault was it ,but now I'm a potential threat to you and believe me there is people out there who have short fuses and anything can set them off 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

The question remains 

Can you defend yourself adequately 

So we have an 82yo jogger who is attacked at 10pm in a Pattaya park.

We have no information on if he did fight back, perhaps he did 

But the question is ,are you confident enough to be able to defend yourself if some drunk grabbed you ?

If someone walks past you takes a swing for no reason 

Now doesn't matter your size or even your age 

I saw old boxers fight back 

Now it doesn't take size to defend yourself 

I once done a Israeli martial art called Krav Maga,the smallest people there seemed to be the best defenders 

And I don't care if it's the Philippines,USA or Australia,are you confident enough to be able to fight back ?

Because ain't no one going to help you.

Bystanders won't intervene ,they won't until others do

You could be on the street ,in a train , anywhere even in the back of a baht bus .

I was in the Philippines last year , I remember a fit looking elderly man.

He said he was a black belt in the Filipino martial arts of KALI 

This is knife 🗡️ fighting and he was a  Master

Now I have no idea if Philippines allows knife and please don't ever ever quote me on it !!!

You ignored me, I ask you again: how many fights did you have and how many did you win, MR real man?

• Like 1

No but you can risk manage sure but you can't prevent it.

Ok so your coming through the door of the view talay 2B , I push in front of you 

I call you names ,all this wasn't your fault was it ,but now I'm a potential threat to you and believe me there is people out there who have short fuses and anything can set them off 

I useally smile, and back off, or face it, so far no one tried me. 

Happened in Fortaleza Brazil, 3 men gave it a second thought in a side street I used as a short cut in the middle of the day, something I was told not to do. I was lucky that day, no consequences, just a heads up, always listening to the locals.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, lanng khao said:

Straight away my right hand goes up to apologize saying its my fault sorry,, as I'm saying this my left slips into my pocket and right into my diamond encrusted knuckle duster, goes everywhere with me, even wear it in the bath, 

As im shaking your hand for the 3rd time, Bang,, ive hit you with a left hook breaking your jaw...

Do you train or practice though?

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You ignored me, I ask you again: how many fights did you have and how many did you win, MR real man?

Oh for FFS ,give me a chance to answer ,I'm holding this phone looking at the forum whilst mopping floors ! 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

these people look for the frail etc.

I wonder what kind of person could attack frail people though , obviously for a financial gain eg robbery 

But I wonder what goes through their mind , but let me say it's not always involving violence 

I remember watching a UK crime tv documentary where a man was speaking nice to a elderly lady and his accomplices were stealing her purse from the handbag.

The way the man was speaking so nice to the old lady ,even I liked and trusted him ,so psychological what kind of person is he?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

these people look for the frail etc.

I wonder what kind of person could attack frail people though , obviously for a financial gain eg robbery 

But I wonder what goes through their mind , but let me say it's not always involving violence 

I remember watching a UK crime tv documentary where a man was speaking nice to a elderly lady and his accomplices were stealing her purse from the handbag.

The way the man was speaking so nice to the old lady ,even I liked and trusted him ,so psychological what kind of person is he?

These people are the scum of the earth, the lowest of the low, most having mental health issues and should be put down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

If I recall right, you start drinking at 7 in the morning, so taking good care of yourself raises some doubts.

Oh you are one of those people with selective reading. 

I also wrote I enjoyed an early morning drink a couple of times a month, catching up with a few ex co-workers who now work night shift, drink a few beers before going home to their families. 

What's your point, are you one of those guys living in Nakhon Nowhere, without friends, only have an annoying wife as company? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2

Don't walk around looking like an easy mark. Most perpetrators know the difference between an easy mark and someone who isn't. To quote Mad Eye Moody:"constant vigilance".

Of course, I'm an American, so we're usually armed😅

Here in Thailand though, it's just good common sense that keeps you out of trouble. I"ve walked through dark alleys in Bangkok and never felt weary, because it wasn't in those areas that are frequented by those looking to prey on the weak(i.e. Soi Cowboy etc).

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

I can't defend myself against anybody who fights regularly.

But then, the last time I wanted to be able to fight was when I was in school. That's already some time ago.

Avoiding trouble is the best way to go through life. When I hear stories about anybody getting hurt, it seems they all asked for it or at least they didn't back down.

What's the point of fighting if the alternative is to say "I'm sorry" or pay that bill for 500B which is not fair. Jut pay, walk away, and don't think about it anymore. And I didn't even have any such situation in my whole life.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Straight away my right hand goes up to apologize saying its my fault sorry,, as I'm saying this my left slips into my pocket and right into my diamond encrusted knuckle duster, goes everywhere with me, even wear it in the bath, 

As im shaking your hand for the 3rd time, Bang,, ive hit you with a left hook breaking your jaw...

Nice to know you are a violent person who this hitting someone just because they pushed in front of you is an acceptable reaction.