Man Shoots Sister Over Family Dispute During Mother’s Funeral: Phatthalung

IMG_5433.jpeg

Picture of the scene.

In a shocking incident, a 60-year-old man fatally shot his 63-year-old sister at their mother’s funeral after a family dispute escalated. The suspect later turned himself in to the police, admitting he was angered by his sister’s decision to organise the funeral without allowing him to participate.

At 17:00 on September 10, Pol. Lt. Panya Songnuan, an officer at Sri Banphot Police Station, along with forensic officers and rescue teams, responded to a shooting at the cremation hall of Taphaen Temple in Sri Banphot District, Phatthalung Province. The incident occurred during the second night of the funeral for 98-year-old Klin Chuaykaew, who had just been moved from her home to the temple.

At the scene, police found the body of Nittaya “Naep” Yokphairot, 63, the daughter of the deceased, lying next to a wooden chair. She had been shot in the head and behind the ear with a .38 caliber revolver. A bullet of the same caliber was recovered at the scene.

The shooter, Thaveesak “Wee” Chuaykaew, 60, Nittaya’s younger brother, surrendered to police shortly after the incident, bringing with him the firearm used in the attack.

Witnesses reported that the shooting occurred shortly after monks had completed the chanting ceremony for their mother. As guests and relatives were helping to clean up, two gunshots rang out, sending the mourners into panic. When the situation calmed, Nittaya was found lying in a pool of blood, while her brother left the scene and later turned himself in to authorities.

During the initial police interrogation, Thaveesak confessed that his actions stemmed from frustration over his sister’s decision to handle their mother’s funeral arrangements alone, excluding him and their three other siblings. Nittaya had argued that she was the sole caretaker of their elderly mother and therefore had the right to make all the decisions.

Police noted that the siblings had a long-standing feud over inherited family land, which had contributed to tensions between them. This ongoing conflict, combined with the stress of the funeral arrangements, led Thaveesak to commit the tragic act.

Authorities have charged Thaveesak with premeditated murder.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-11

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Police noted that the siblings had a long-standing feud over inherited family land, which had contributed to tensions between them.

Yea, sure. He killed her because he couldn't help plan the funeral.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Yea, sure. He killed her because he couldn't help plan the funeral.

No, that was likely the straw that broke the camel's back. The articles does mention feud over land.

I understand perfectly as I've had sibling rivalry going on for years and years in my family.

It's petty power struggles. In my family too, the same thing happened. I had no say in my parents' funerals because my siblings want to control everything.

But I don't shoot people. I just keep my phone off the hook. 

Families should have max 1 child to avoid sibling rivalry nonsense. 

Edited by save the frogs

21 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Most families should have no children. 

I'll re-write that for you. Many people should not have any children. Most should not have more than two. None should have more than 4 with the same woman. Sibling rivalry teaches kids how to get along. Too many children in the household creates anger, neglect and favoritism. With this creates narcissists.

Edited by fredwiggy

Sibling rivalry is a nightmare, even my 16 year old boy will continuely say I love my daughter more (who is 14) if he does not get exactly what the other gets, for example if she needs extra money for school project or something and he doesn't need it, that's enough to get his jealously up, been doing it for years, it's going to be a problem in the future, and more importantly it will bring resentment to me and the wife for his mythical thinking.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Police noted that the siblings had a long-standing feud over inherited family land, which had contributed to tensions between them. This ongoing conflict, combined with the stress of the funeral arrangements, led Thaveesak to commit the tragic act.

So all about money, .............:sad:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

You can choose your friends but you cannot choose your family.

My own family was totally dysfunctional (but I still loved them) - I could not wait to leave.

But I do have some very good friends.

There's a thing about Isaarn women where the eldest daughter considers her self the matriarch of the family even though they have brothers older than them. I know about this first hand. My wife treats me as though she owns me at times even though I've paid for everything. She has 9 brothers and sisters plus two 40 yo daughters of her own and they avoid her like the plague. Whereas if I meet them at any family functions they all treat me as though I'm a VIP.

38 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well ,   if the organizers are quick enough they can throw her into a coffin and just follow on with her funeral while everyone is still there.   

Someone has just been murdered are you by nature so cold and unsympathetic? Your poor attempt at humour in this case is disgusting😡

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Utalk2mutt said:

Someone has just been murdered are you by nature so cold and unsympathetic? Your poor attempt at humour in this case is disgusting😡

I couldn't care less who was murdered .... if they're so stupid and that uneducated that they need to shoot each other at their mothers funeral then go ahead.  They're the one's who are disgusting. 

Edited by steven100
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I couldn't care less who was murdered .... if they're so stupid and that uneducated that they need to shoot each other then go ahead. 

“Stupid and uneducated” coming from you after what you have just written above says everything about you. Lacking any form of humanity is not a good trait.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

There's a thing about Isaarn women where the eldest daughter considers her self the matriarch of the family even though they have brothers older than them. I know about this first hand. My wife treats me as though she owns me at times even though I've paid for everything. She has 9 brothers and sisters plus two 40 yo daughters of her own and they avoid her like the plague. Whereas if I meet them at any family functions they all treat me as though I'm a VIP.

My ex tried control throughout the time I lived here until our divorce. She kidnapped our daughter 4 times because she didn't like me talking and standing up for myself. She still tries this now. She hates her mother and is one of 11 siblings. Many of them, if not all, are mentally ill. They talk about each other behind their backs. This is how a covert narcissist is created. Too many children, not enough time for all of them, neglect, abuse, turn a child into a monster as an adult. A woman should never try to control her husband. Mutual respect with the man as the leader is how it works.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I couldn't care less who was murdered .... if they're so stupid and that uneducated that they need to shoot each other at their mothers funeral then go ahead.  They're the one's who are disgusting. 

Empathy and sympathy are things that show a human cares. Narcissism is what happens when a child is abused, neglected or spoiled, and a non caring adult is the result.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Utalk2mutt said:

“Stupid and uneducated” coming from you after what you have just written above says everything about you. Lacking any form of humanity is not a good trait.

tell that to all the one's who scam, lie and cheat farang out of their life savings after he puts a roof over their head, supports them and the family with new car etc ...   so please don't preach to me about caring. 

• Agree 1

Hmm, just to add one more coffin, I guess.

7 hours ago, gargamon said:

Most families should have no children. 

So, this is something that you see a lot of to make such a professional judgement?