What’s the best area in Thailand for expats to settle for long-term living?

Conan The Barbarian

23 minutes ago, StraightTalk said:

My wife and I have always had a soft spot for the island. It was my first choice for settling down, but unfortunately, that never came to pass. We haven't visited in several years but have fond memories of a restaurant diagonally opposite Cookies Hotel, run by a Belgian (if I recall correctly). We enjoyed great food there, like green mussels, French onion soup, and pizza. In the evenings, the owner would play bass guitar with his small band. We're planning to visit the island for a holiday before the end of the year.

I hope you have a good time. try to avoid arriving or leaving on weekends as the queue for the ferry can be quite long, especially if its a long holiday weekend.

18 hours ago, Hummin said:

Where? 

Cant recall any of those places had bad internet, but Im not doing any online work, so? 

Im not picky about internet connection, as long I can stream tv and movies on my lap top, Im happy. 

We get 5G in a rice village in Chiang Rai, The internet is great.

Just now, Chadnik said:

Single male -

Pattaya or Bangkok during rainy season, southern islands during cool season, get out for a few months high season (or BKK)

Pure genius.....just need to be single (I wish) and I would do that.

Depends so much on your personal needs ..... and while a small island sounds nice for shorter term stays, for long term I wanted to be within easy travelling distance of Bangkok and the major airports, plus not too far from a Central mall and a Homepro/Thaiwatsadu for when you need stuff .... but also near a beach and with easy access to some nice islands.  Plus not too noisy and not too many foreigners.

That meant East Coast area but not too near Pattaya (but also not too far from Pattaya in case of an urgent need😀).

• Like 1

I love driving all around Thailand, if you take the Thai test and can adapt to the Thai style of driving it doesn't matter where you live.

The GF has a house and family in Phitsanulok, son in Bangkok, sister in Hua Hin, came up for a weekend 2 years ago, brought a car and have never looked back, don't speak Thai, cook all my own food and get on with the locals, if you go with the flow, life's easy, 20 mins from decent shopping, rarely see another "Falange".

• Agree 2

The best place for long-term settlement in Thailand?

All up to what you want.

If you are a Beach Goer, Scuba Diver, southern regions with easy access to the clear sea.

If you are after this nations' biggest Red Light District, Pattaya.

If you want quite life with low-cost of living, Chiang Mai.

Anyone, any other suggestions?

22 hours ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

I am planning to settle in here love the culture.

It all depends on you and your life style - hence so many differing replies.

Being a UK "country bumpkin"  my area of choice was Lanna and its Provinces of Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao and Lampang with their mountains, forests and lakes. I then moved across to Isaan (Khon Kaen Province) with its rural countryside.

Sandy beaches, palm trees, condos, beer bars and prostitutes were of no interest to me. My choice, so no further comment from me.

• Agree 1

Totally silly question, suitable only for mind-readers to answer, with no inclination as to what you are actually looking for.

Do you want quiet, beaches, rural, cheap living, city life?

Far too many options in this vast country with no inkling as to what is required by the OP.

It's the same type of question such as ' How much do I need to retire in Thailand ' whilst giving no clue as to eating, drinking, lifestyle, spending habits of the person asking the question.

• Like 1

Northeast of Bangkok in the NC Group properties that are situated around or near Thanya Golf Club.  Our security is excellent.  We only have some small annoyances with noise, which comes mostly from the temple Northeast from the properties. (They almost always shut down by 23:59 hours, but usually around 22:00 hours). 

I've lived here 19 years. NC Group have opened new projects East of us, South of the golf course. There are a number of houses available in my Village for resale.  People move...  Some houses built as speculation, but never lived in...  The area is off Lamlukka highway Soi 71, or as we know it Lamlukka 71.  Drive North on 71 about 2 kms. Village 2 is about 3 kms.

22 hours ago, Hummin said:

If great night life is essential, Pattaya and BKK is those two places to consider. Patong used to be good, but I cant say how it is now. Havent been back since covid, and before that 2007. 

Koh Chang I havent been since 2008. 

I have retired from the clubbing, so nightlife now is limited and not so interesting anymore, except live boxing and some world games occasionally 

More on the restaurants and a few drinks only. My wife do not drink, so it is limited to meet a few friends for a night out a few times a year

Article said tourist outnumber locals 118 -1 

On 9/12/2024 at 9:24 AM, Conan The Barbarian said:

I am planning to settle in here love the culture.

Where to settle in Thailand is extremely dependent on life style and income, if you don't have a Thai partner that wish your settlement to be in the partner's area.

When I was searching for where to settle in Land of Smiles about 20 years ago, I visited places of potential interest, before I made my decision. If you also do that, make visit both in the dry season and in the rainy season – some places you might need jetski or boat during the wet period – and up north also in the cold season.

I finally settled on a southern island, as I both like the sea and the view of same, and furthermore "all year summer" and the party life. Island-living is often little more expensive than mainland, and tourist areas often little more expensive than more rural destinations; so, ongoing cash flow can also be part of a choice.

• Thumbs Up 2