What really grinds your gears in Pattaya

Pattaya57

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

The traffic is getting really bad.  Not just on weekends anymore. Totally ruins the place for me. 

About 5 months ago returning form Festival one afternoon of a public holiday took 45 min and my condo is just below the Big Buddha, under 5ks, was so over it called up the agent that sold me my condo and listed it, since then purchased some land and will build a new place in Sattahip, looking forward to moving down there.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Njoku said:

Uneven footpaths, I can deal with the footpath disappearing and they way some shops encroach on it but it really pisses me off the paving stones missing poping up etc, cost me a smart watch when I tripped once

I agree!

The reason is sewage pipes are under it and they need to have easy access.

Non local walks in Thailand!

On 9/13/2024 at 9:51 AM, Pattaya57 said:

For me it's something new I've only just seen in the last 5 months I've been back.

Indian tourists walk 4-5 abreast on the small Soi's. Cars and bikes beep their horns behind them and they just ignore them and make them go around.

Where does this arrogance come from? Why haven't we heard of more tourists being hit as some of the car and bike riders I've seen have gotten really angry at them.

So what really grinds your gears....

Are we allowed to bash fat people with hairy body (especially sweaty armpits) walking around in a beer branded tank top, cargo trunks, old slippers and think they are the gifts to women. Im not naming any nationality for now 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

I agree!

The reason is sewage pipes are under it and they need to have easy access.

Non local walks in Thailand!

The smell some parts in Pattaya and Jomtien is really over the top, and those parts who are flooding during the heavy rainfall, you can just imagine whats floating up. 

• Sad 1

The most annoying in Pattaya is the polluted beaches and the traffic. When living at a beach destination, you really want to swim as well, but I guess that fades away for some the older you get, or the beach was not really the purpose of lving in Pattaya in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

The most annoying in Pattaya is the polluted beaches and the traffic. When living at a beach destination, you really want to swim as well, but I guess that fades away for some the older you get, or the beach was not really the purpose of lving in Pattaya in the first place. 

If i wanted to swim I'd go to Nang Ram beaches, not Pattaya or Jomtien, doesn't take much effort to go to better beaches

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

This is why I live central. I can walk if the 2nd road or beach road baht bus is in grid-lock 😉

But then you are inhaling exhaust fumes and PM2.5.  I develop a hack if I don't wear a well-sealed N95 mask everywhere I go.  Walking along any of the major roads is especially bad.  I try take back alleys as much as possible. 

Emission standards are low to non-existent in Thailand so it's a lot worse than in the west.  If Thailand was serious about improving their air pollution problem they would tighten up those standards.

Edited by shdmn

Food prices are a rip-off compared to non tourist areas . No complaints about the quality of the stuff at my favourite veg . restaurant ( been going there for nearly 20 yrs and the food is exactly the same every time ) , but the prices are now at western ( UK ) levels - 110 bt for rice ! By comparison , same thing in Udon would be a quarter of the price .

Now I prefer to make my own , all the ingredients are available , so why not ?

1 hour ago, persimmon said:

Food prices are a rip-off compared to non tourist areas . No complaints about the quality of the stuff at my favourite veg . restaurant ( been going there for nearly 20 yrs and the food is exactly the same every time ) , but the prices are now at western ( UK ) levels - 110 bt for rice ! By comparison , same thing in Udon would be a quarter of the price .

Now I prefer to make my own , all the ingredients are available , so why not ?

What tourist areas are you talking about? I hear that Phuket is getting quite expensive but I don't find prices all that bad around Pattaya.  Food has gone up a lot but not as much as in the west, so it's still a lot cheaper imo. 

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 1

Ah, the good ole' days of Pattaya are long gone. On to greener pastures. Text book example of over tourism by some of the worst tourists on the planet. I am amazed that the infrastructure has managed to hold up as the rate at which they are putting up new condos etc has been unbelievable.

Pratumnak was once a peaceful lush and green area with a few houses and smaller condos ... no more. Jomtien is now lined with tall condos as far as the eye can see. In 12 years it went to being fairly pleasant to crowded and intolerable. I've read on Thaifriendly some of the girls say "no india man". Yea I can understand why.

I try to be fair but when the behavior is quite obviously consistent among a group of people then a spade is a spade. I was quite surprised at how loud Russian and Chinese people are when they started invading Jomtien 10 years ago. My trips to 7-11 were unpleasant as i would see what the poor counter girls would have to put up with from some of the Russian and Chinese tourists. Loud, demanding and down right rude and impolite. Not one thought about trying to adjust and behave with the Thai politeness and humble demeanor I've come to appreciate.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

What tourist areas are you talking about? I hear that Phuket is getting quite expensive but I don't find prices all that bad around Pattaya.  Food has gone up a lot but not as much as in the west, so it's still a lot cheaper imo. 

In Pattaya there are variations in pricing even on one soi, for example Buakhao, thai food can cost 50 baht or 100 baht for the same thing, they charge tourist prices when they can get away with it 

• Agree 1

On 9/15/2024 at 10:17 AM, scubascuba3 said:

If i wanted to swim I'd go to Nang Ram beaches, not Pattaya or Jomtien, doesn't take much effort to go to better beaches

An hour by car there and another hour back seems like a long time to me to go to the beach on a regular basis.

30 minutes ago, Espanol said:

An hour by car there and another hour back seems like a long time to me to go to the beach on a regular basis.

Sounds like you need a swimming pool, once or twice a week to Nang Ram would be fine, fast going down there these days with all the flyovers, think i cycle there in 1.5 hours

• Confused 1