Are you "all in" in your relationship?

sidjameson

Years ago, neighbour in England was a guy in his 50's and married. Own house, business and savings. Wife got sick, he gave up work, employed carers and ended up selling business and house. When she died he was penniless, in rented and living just off the state pension.

He really was "till death do us part '

How much of your wealth would you spend on your wife?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

There is no easy answer to this.

Another situation would be that I get sick, and my gf takes care of me. How much of my own money would I spent to live a little longer, and how much money would I leave her?

I.e. would I spend 10,000 USD to live a month longer? And another 10k for another month?

I think it all depends on the circumstances. Is there still fun in my life? Is there hope of recovery?

I guess at some stage I wound think there is no point for living a little longer with lots of pain.

But then, I never was in that situation, so I don't know.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

My view: you arrive to 'life' alone and you leave it alone, plan accordingly. 

I met and married the love of my life and my best friend  at age 21 and lost her to life and cancer some years later.  I will never be as emotionally vulnerable to another person, ever again.  

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Years ago, neighbour in England was a guy in his 50's and married. Own house, business and savings. Wife got sick, he gave up work, employed carers and ended up selling business and house. When she died he was penniless, in rented and living just off the state pension.

God sake we are married, it i me and her, just as it should be. Not about how much I would spend on my wife.

If you asking if I buy the newest phone model, high cost brand, new car and jewelry, no, I do not spend anything fancy, just normal gifts for special occasions 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

10,000bht a month!

Thats about all any of them are worth, why spoil them, they only waste it. Love and romance? give me a break. After 20 years I don't want to be alone when old and she does want to be penniless. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

My view: you arrive to 'life' alone and you leave it alone, plan accordingly. 

I met and married the love of my life and my best friend  at age 21 and lost her to life and cancer some years later.  I will never be as emotionally vulnerable to another person, ever again.  

I pray that you will get over the loss.

There is always hope.

Mind you, I lost the love of my life and best friend for 35 years 8 years ago.

I am just not interested in finding someone that good again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sidjameson said:

It's really hard to believe that someone in England could end up (literally) penniless due to their partner's ill health. The NHS is free, and there are numerous state benefits available to help with palliative/hospice care.

Of course, some of those benefits are means tested.

All of it.

• Like 2

Hmmm interesting question to ask.

Unless you are in a 'transactional' relationship I think most couples would say, whatever it takes.

Me and MrsG are similar ages, 50/60's so who knows what happens in the future, health risks increase exponentially as we get into middle and old age, unfortunately to say

So in our blended family, Thai son, American daughters would sure as sh**t hold both our feet to the fire to take care of each other if, and we wouldn't, step up to care for one another.

The kids are all in their 20/30's brother and sisters, aunts and uncle to the grandkids, so we're a pretty tight family. So the idea of any of us abandoning anyone is unthinkable, so I guess we are 'all in'

Now if you're shacked up with a bar girl, she'll probably dump you after a bad cold, or an ATM 'insufficient funds'

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Kinnock said:

We're both 'all-in' .... she is totally focussed on looking after me, and has been for over 10 years, I reciprocate and look after her.

That's nice to hear.  So many relationships back home seem to be the man is focussed on looking after the woman, while the woman is focussed on looking after herself (or even making the man miserable).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, sidjameson said:

No health insurance?

Lots of people stick with their partner until their dying breath, but most people don't bankrupt themselves in the process.