Breaking an Engagement to a Thai woman, does she keep the ring?

Rhys

29 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Just checking in here, according to the www, the ring should be returned as it is not a gift but a condition for a future event.. Western thinking...  Now does this apply to Thai culture?    If she does not return the ring is it SOL?    

nope, not a western thinking

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, proton said:

ffs a ring? just think yourself lucky to have escaped the sinsot and paying for people you don't know to eat and drink themselves silly. You put down a non returnable deposit on her.

Or if HiSo the family coming 'round to make it quite clear that if you sampled the goods in advance you have to marry her.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Isn't it standard that if guy breaks off engagement she can keep the ring.  If she breaks off engagement then she should at least offer to give it back (my ex offered ring back & I told her to stick it up her arse)

Now I know where 'anus rings' come from....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rhys said:

Just checking in here, according to the www, the ring should be returned as it is not a gift but a condition for a future event.. Western thinking...  Now does this apply to Thai culture?    If she does not return the ring is it SOL?    

Let her keep it and move on with your life  already 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Do they even use engagement rings normally in Thailand?

That was my thoughts on this..  A lot personal anecdote is going to be involved as traditions and modernisation comes into this... But, I always understood that Marriages in Thailand work slightly differently than in the west from the ceremonial and engagement point of view. 

i.e. The Ring (engagement) is not usually part of the process... Its straight to the Wedding Ceremony and there 'maybe' an engagement ceremony on the same day early in the morning etc.

When we were married, we omitted the 'early morning' stuff as I didn't want my Wife to be exhausted by mid evening (middle of the evening ceremony). 

Thus: We had a Midday thing at her house, then off to the hotel. 

Then a 'smaller engagement ceremony' at the hotel at about 5pm, at which point both an engagement ring and wedding ring went on.

Then into the evening Wedding Party....

Thus from personal anecdote, the engagement ring was only given on the actual wedding day... Even though the wedding had been planned for over 6 months, we never entered a an engaged phase where my Wife was my  'fiancé'... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can legally apply for compensation for property bought in your Thai girlfriend's name under the promise of marriage  that was purchased   with your funds. 

In the legal calculation of assets the cost of the ring may be included. 

This would certainly apply if deceit of the recipient was proven. 

Edited by jippytum

13 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Isn't it standard that if guy breaks off engagement she can keep the ring.  If she breaks off engagement then she should at least offer to give it back (my ex offered ring back & I told her to stick it up her arse)

And did you ever stick it up her arse?

14 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

My mate met your ex , he had to have the ring cut off