Breaking an Engagement to a Thai woman, does she keep the ring?

Rhys

15 hours ago, Rhys said:

Just checking in here, according to the www, the ring should be returned as it is not a gift but a condition for a future event.. Western thinking...  Now does this apply to Thai culture?    If she does not return the ring is it SOL?    

What a cheapskate. Had your way with the Thai woman promising to marry her and then want to take probably the only thing of value she got from having sex with you. Let her have it. You would have paid alot more getting bars girls to be with without your fake promise to marry some unsuspecting Thai lady. 

Ask for it back.  She may even throw it at you.  If she wants to keep it, write it off and get on with your life.

AFAIK, there is no "customary practice" related to engagement rings in Thailand.

In either case, take the life lesson, for the next time.  You'll have to work out what that life lesson is, based on your own beliefs and code.  Don't live someone else's beliefs, as some on her would shame you into doing.

If thats all it's going to cost you then let her walk away quietly never to be seen again, there was a guy years ago in Pattaya who thought he could take everything back he had bought, so he did, she had the last word she planted some drugs in his house and grassed him up to the police, he got 5 years, think carefully. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

If thats all it's going to cost you then let her walk away quietly never to be seen again, there was a guy years ago in Pattaya who thought he could take everything back he had bought, so he did, she had the last word she planted some drugs in his house and grassed him up to the police, he got 5 years, think carefully. 

a story with modification ? His drugs, but she called him in?

17 hours ago, Rhys said:

Just checking in here, according to the www, the ring should be returned as it is not a gift but a condition for a future event.. Western thinking...  Now does this apply to Thai culture?    If she does not return the ring is it SOL?    

It's not SOL. You both come out winners. You both get to live your lives separately and go your own ways and she gets to sell the ring, bank the money for time wasted.

Breaking an Engagement to a Thai woman, does she keep the ring? 

Who cares , Why worry  you bought it and gave it to her .

Up to her I would say, If you brake up with her she maybe pretty mad at ya and want to sell it if it was Expensive and want some money instead of you If she knows what you've paid for it and it was a cheap one she may trow it At you.  🙏

24 minutes ago, donmuang37 said:
21 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

My personal belief is that an engagement ring is gifted. There were no conditions applied at the time.

I fully agree.  The cheapskate should let her keep the ring!

The Op hasn't been back... but any decision to keep 'assets' is dependent on the reason for the decision to no-longer go-ahead with the marriage. 

For example - had she been caught 'playing around' triggering the reason not to go ahead, why should she financially profit with an expensive item of jewellery ? 

Equally, so, if this is a respectable female, who now faces some embarrassment just because the Op 'changed his mind on a whim' then it could be argued the ring is hers and was a gift.

Its not about being a cheapskate or otherwise, in many cases it could be about principle. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Isn't it standard that if guy breaks off engagement she can keep the ring.  If she breaks off engagement then she should at least offer to give it back (my ex offered ring back & I told her to stick it up her arse)

Stick it up her ring.

21 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Isn't it standard that if guy breaks off engagement she can keep the ring.  If she breaks off engagement then she should at least offer to give it back (my ex offered ring back & I told her to stick it up her arse)

I say old chap. That's a trifle strong don't you think? 😀

On 9/15/2024 at 10:26 AM, Rhys said:

I believe a Thai ex-fiancé will keep the ring. Why? Because Tata young both kept her diamond ring and 100 million baht cash, when she broke her engagement...:whistling:

On 9/15/2024 at 3:26 PM, Rhys said:

She'll keep everything....