Texas Chicken Bids Farewell to Thailand

Georgealbert

6 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

https://en.postupnews.com/2015/07/PTT-presents-Texas-Chicken-in-Thailand.html

PR from 2015

PTT’s retail marketing group is launching Texas Chicken® in Thailand and introducing the best fried chicken and biscuits in the world to Thais.

They were shooting for 70 restaurants, in the promo when opening.  Wonder if the opened that many.   Some were located at PTT Parks.

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

It IS one of ther best in USA but was not the same the few times I tried it here --  and pricey.

Yea, the menu pricing turned me off.   Didn't see the value, worth trying.  When I'm thinking fast food chicken, it's Wing Zaps on my mind.   If not street vendor / Hat Yai garlic chicken.

Don't bother with 5 Stars much any more either, as getting pricey & smaller.

59 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Texas Chicken, in Thailand is operated by PTT Oil and Retail Business (PTTOR), is part of OR's lifestyle business, which also includes Café Amazon and Pearly Tea.

There are 97 Texas Chicken branches throughout Thailand and all will shut at the end of the month.

As a comparison at the end of 2023 there 1,000 KFC outlets in Thailand against 97 Texas Chicken outlets.

https://www.asian-agribiz.com/2022/12/20/kfc-plans-for-80-new-stores-in-thailand/#:~:text=KFC now has 1000 stores,and tourist destinations in 2023.

KFC now has 1000 stores in Thailand, and it plans to open 80 new branches in Bangkok and tourist destinations in 2023. Yum Restaurants International (Thailand), the franchise owner of KFC, expects its sales to grow 24% this year, the highest in four years. 

It seems to me, that if Texas Chicken was so much better than KFC, the positions would be reversed.

6 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I hope Tim Hortons is not next.

They seem have opened too many branches too soon.

I’ll miss Texas Chicken’s Mexican wrap more than Tim Horton’s weak coffee and day-old doughnuts. 

The best fast-food fried chicken in the US is, or at least was, “Old Dixie”. 

IMG_1684.thumb.jpeg.51fec037a32d30cf10411876ae6a2a6e.jpeg

• Like 1

Cluck’s up: Texas Chicken to fly the coop in Thailand after 9 years

texas1.png

In a shock announcement, Texas Chicken has revealed that it will be shuttering all its outlets in Thailand by the end of this month, ending a nine-year run that has left fans of the crispy treat crestfallen. The bombshell was dropped on their official Facebook page, and there was no explanation for the abrupt exit.

“It’s time to say goodbye to Texas Chicken after nine years of tasty memories,” the statement read, leaving fried chicken lovers devastated.

Known as Church’s Texas Chicken in the States, this American fast food giant first spread its wings in San Antonio, Texas, before roosting its headquarters in Atlanta. Here in Thailand, it was the PTT Oil and Retail Business Plc (OR) that brought the beloved brand to the nation’s petrol stations, expanding its reach to community malls and beyond.

The fast food chain was an integral part of OR’s strategy to diversify from its core oil business and into the ever-popular culinary market, reported Bangkok Post.

Church’s Texas Chicken isn’t just clucking around in Thailand, the franchise boasts a presence in 26 countries worldwide. But alas, for Thai fans, the countdown to the last crunch has begun.

So, mark your calendars and grab that final bucket, it’s your last chance to savour the finger-lickin’ goodness before Texas Chicken closes its doors for good in Thailand.

The news of Texas Chicken’s closure will be good news to some parents worried about the welfare of their children. Today’s youth in Thailand face a startling reality. Their life expectancy may be shorter than their parents, largely due to health issues stemming from excessive junk food consumption.

Over 39 million children under 5 are overweight, fueling a rapid obesity epidemic. A significant contributor is junk food marketing, targeting children who lack the cognitive skills to discern advertising intent.

Marketers exploit this vulnerability, spending billions to shape future consumers. Fast food chains alone spent US$5 billion on youth advertising in 2019, according to CyberGhost.

By Bob Scott

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-09-16

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Scones.

11 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Odd thing for a chicken place.

British scones and American biscuits are similar but have key differences.   They are made from nearly the same ingredients, but the proportions of liquid and fat as well as preparation methods are different.  American biscuits tend to be flaky while British scones are crumbly.  Traditional Southern biscuits are often made with buttermilk, but neither Church's or KFC uses buttermilk in its biscuits.  

Texas Chicken's biscuits are unique because they are topped with a honey-butter mixture.   yuma.png.7b2e5134f735c527ee4f43b697b2ff8d.png

bisc.png.0d4d1c3bf1a69d880184677fc97ac68a.png

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

As a comparison at the end of 2023 there 1,000 KFC outlets in Thailand against 97 Texas Chicken outlets.

https://www.asian-agribiz.com/2022/12/20/kfc-plans-for-80-new-stores-in-thailand/#:~:text=KFC now has 1000 stores,and tourist destinations in 2023.

KFC now has 1000 stores in Thailand, and it plans to open 80 new branches in Bangkok and tourist destinations in 2023. Yum Restaurants International (Thailand), the franchise owner of KFC, expects its sales to grow 24% this year, the highest in four years. 

It seems to me, that if Texas Chicken was so much better than KFC, the positions would be reversed.

KFC does have those tasty Macau style egg tarts.

• Like 1

I kind of stopped going after they discontinued the meal deal that included a biscuit and cole slaw.  It was nothing special to me without that.  Still being offered in Vietnam and Cambodia as far as I know.  I think PTT probably made some bad decisions like getting rid of that.

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

British scones and American biscuits are similar but have key differences.   They are made from nearly the same ingredients, but the proportions of liquid and fat as well as preparation methods are different.  American biscuits tend to be flaky while British scones are crumbly.  Traditional Southern biscuits are often made with buttermilk, but neither Church's or KFC uses buttermilk in its biscuits.  

Texas Chicken's biscuits are unique because they are topped with a honey-butter mixture.   yuma.png.7b2e5134f735c527ee4f43b697b2ff8d.png

bisc.png.0d4d1c3bf1a69d880184677fc97ac68a.png

They stopped offering those biscuits in Thailand at least a year or two ago.  I suspect that getting rid of that was part of the reason they failed.  I know that I went there less often after they discontinued that.

Edited by shdmn

Never ate at one here.  But Church's in the USA had very underseasoned fried chicken.

I had no idea that Texas chicken was Church's.  I had thought about trying it a few times here but if I knew it was Church's would not have even thought about it.

Edited by rwill

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

There's a big one on Sukhumvit PTT near chaiyaphruek, Pattaya, wondered who went there, no one it seems

I ate there many times as a nice store with many seats comapred to the small shop on Pattaya Tai by Tukcom.  Never seemed crowded but lots of Grab drivers picking up orders.  They also had a drive thru window.

I preferred Texas Chicken to KFC as not nearly as greasy and they offered a lot of combos along with rice bowls and wraps.  Sorry to see them leaving Thailand.