Today I met the first farang returning home because of exchange rate

nofarang

He said, he loves it here but cannot afford it anymore. As the pound constantly on its way down life for him becomes unbearable expensive. At present under 43 and with the bleak prospective of sliding further he is forced to pull the brake. He was on his way back home. I wonder how many more have given up....

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

39 minutes ago, nofarang said:

He said, he loves it here but cannot afford it anymore. As the pound constantly on its way down life for him becomes unbearable expensive.

i am sure @BuddyPish will have a good laugh when he sees this. ..

i feel for this guy. i feel the pinch too but it was worse 3 years ago... i would get 29.13 bht to the dollar

Edited by Pouatchee

43 minutes ago, marin said:

Bummer he did not really have enough money to live here. Going back home where the cost of living is more does not really make sense unless he is moving back in with mom and dad.  

Could be he's moving back where he can legally pick up a job...

In any case, I wish the guy well.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Seppius said:

The OP does not say how old the guy is, but you would have to drag me back kicking and screaming to the UK under this new government

Does he think his money will go farther there?

Yes, UK NOT attractive as a destination of living. And the increase in costs and decrease in quality of existence aka crap weather.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe he fell in love with Thailand in the last eight years or so after being the semi-annual two-week millionaire, but mistakenly decided to retire early?

If he came to Thailand in the past 8 years, he would have no issue with the exchange rate, since it has improved since.

It is those that arrived here 15 - 20 year ago, when the pound gave you 70+ baht, that will have not forecasted this

Edited by CallumWK

On 9/16/2024 at 11:52 AM, Pouatchee said:

i am sure @BuddyPish will have a good laugh when he sees this. ..

i feel for this guy. i feel the pinch too but it was worse 3 years ago... i would get 29.13 bht to the dollar

Still bitching, I see 😄

I'm not laughing at all but I think you should prepare yourself for a return to 28 baht to the USD.

Not a matter of "if" but "when"

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2024 at 11:42 AM, Jim Blue said:

I wonder where he was when the pound 'slipped to 37" ?  I thought these were the good days ?

Extreme levels of currencies like the pound usually do not last long

You need to look at the average rate over 12 months 

I see the Thai baht has started to fall back again after a good run for the last month.

25 minutes ago, BuddyPish said:

Still bitching, I see 😄

I'm not laughing at all but I think you should prepare yourself for a return to 28 baht to the USD.

Not a matter of "if" but "when"

laughing and mocking are pretty close to being a synonym and you were mocking me for being concerned about the value of the bht not to long ago. 

do I need to find the post? I don't think you would have many friends here if they actually knew what you think.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1333360-house-approves-122-billion-baht-digital-wallet-scheme-budget/#comment-19079386

right now Pish you have quite a few who are struggling. are you going to bite them too?

On 7/19/2024 at 4:54 PM, Pouatchee said:

right now thai bht starting to do better... i hope clown face puts the final nail in the casket for the bht with his hair brain scheme.

Buddypish repied:

Whenever I read sentiments like this, I assume that the author is having difficulty living comfortably with the exchange rate. 

• Haha 1

On 9/16/2024 at 11:42 AM, Jim Blue said:

I wonder where he was when the pound 'slipped to 37" ?  I thought these were the good days ?

The pound actually bottomed out at around 34 during the first year or so of Brexit. In those days most British expats would have been chuffed to bits to get 43.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

laughing and mocking are pretty close to being a synonym and you were mocking me for being concerned about the value of the bht not to long ago. 

do I need to find the post? I don't think you would have many friends here if they actually knew what you think.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1333360-house-approves-122-billion-baht-digital-wallet-scheme-budget/#comment-19079386

right now Pish you have quite a few who are struggling. are you going to bite them too?

"Friends"??!!

Hahahahaha 
Seriously, you need to get some kind of life away from posting your butthurt on this forum.

I think people already know what I think about finance/economic/trading etc

I think quite a few would share my view on people moving here without first making allowances for fluctuations in exchange rates, especially if they've retired.

There is brit Bill around Ratchada area begging for change to buy food (and I guess booze). Active in evening around Soi 4 - bars and discos. I saw him from the distance - he looks like an average farang teacher, but seems that something is wrong with him.

I think people who can't fix themselves in TH should find their way back home asap. This country is not very cozy for bums.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 2

On 9/16/2024 at 11:38 AM, marin said:

Bummer he did not really have enough money to live here. Going back home where the cost of living is more does not really make sense unless he is moving back in with mom and dad.  

Or, unless he go back and work again. You didn´t think about that possibility, right?

• Like 1