New Rules Restrict Street Vending to Low-Income Thais Only

webfact

So are they trying to put this in place so people who are in debt pay their debts off and quickly ? 

If the traders have a really good day then who is to say they will declare the money they made .

300k/year is low income? How many people in Bangkok earn 25k/month? Minimum wage is 363/day so even if you worked 7 days a week that is still only 10k/month. I think 25k/month probably exceeds the median income in most other cities.

48 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

This is what it is about in reality. The government does not care about the unworkable rules of positioning, safety gaps, etc. They are only interested in getting people registered so they can grab tax off them. No different to every other country, grab tax as much as they can.

Governments are forever greedy parasites on our backs. I really do despise them.

• Haha 1

Not surprising, considering that the people who drafted the rules have no talent and bought their positions. They are utter nonsense, will result in total confusion and will likely be changed. This is disgraceful. 

• Agree 2

A whole new can of worms. Measuring income? Let's see your bank accounts. Show us the receipts for what you have earned.

Not more than 300,000 Baht a year? 

"Darling I'm home! Guess what, I just made 310,000 Baht this year!" 

Policeman puts head in window.

"We are confiscating your stall as you are making more than a poor person." 

How to keep people poor 101.

• Like 1

These new rules mean nothing. Most of the vendors do not and will not apply for these things required since they have enough money in the bank to even be able to stock their wares to sell them in the streets. Most police will simply ask for their envelope and not enforce the laws also. 

I wonder which Thais they think need money enough to apply for those government benefits and still be able to maintain thousands of baht to purchase new products to sell? What a wasted effort to produce new laws that will only hurt the general public.

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Thailand has more than enough laws but enforcement is based on corrupt payments or absent.

That's the genius of it, the illicit payments you make to go over keep you under the 300K limit.

It's just science.

Edited by fondue zoo

18 minutes ago, twizzian said:

Can you honestly earn 25k per month on a food cart or selling second hand clothes etc

Single food carts may have a tough time making that sort of money... profit that is after expenses.

However some of the clothing, footwear and other market stalls can make good livings.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

so if you are successful as a street vendor and make good money you must stop trading , what sort of logic is that ?

When prey tell, has logic ever played a part in Thai thinking? It gets the same grading as common sense '0', 90% of the time.

44 minutes ago, twizzian said:

Can you honestly earn 25k per month on a food cart or selling second hand clothes etc

I don't know how much she made, but the omelet lady in front of my office made enough to go out and rent a storefront and open a restaurant.  It's also doing quite well, years later.  Making room in front of my old building for a new upstart.  He even bought her omelet cart from her.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

so if you are successful as a street vendor and make good money you must stop trading , what sort of logic is that ?

Woah! Woah! Woah! Thailand doesn't want poor people to be successful, they just want them to keep their current serf status. Being successful is limited to the Elite, don't be rocking the boat!