The annoyance of the ++ prices

Dirk Z

In most European countries prices for goods must be shown as what they actually are. No surprises when the bill arrives. In many Thai establishments, in Bangkok even the vast majority, there are prices on menus that change according to the small print at the bottom: "10% service charge and 7% VAT will be added."

Since this is a fixed increase it is hard to understand why the prices cannot already be shown as the final amount needed to pay, instead of everyone having tho make the the calculation themselves or getting an unpleasant surprise when the bill comes up.

Although the prices seem lower, there is unpleasantness in the end, so I don't see the upside of this way of presenting a menu. Or can anyone enlighten me?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

No surprises when the bill arrives. In many Thai establishments, in Bangkok even the vast majority, there are prices on menus that change according to the small print at the bottom: "10% service charge and 7% VAT will be added."

There's quite a few foreign owned businesses in Pattaya do the same thing. 

Thankyou for your question.

VAT registered businesses can offset the VAT paid against their on VAT with their tax return. Not every business is VAT registered so it is to let you know.

The service charge is there so you do not have to bother leaving a tip. Makes it easier. 

27 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

Although the prices seem lower, there is unpleasantness in the end, so I don't see the upside of this way of presenting a menu. Or can anyone enlighten me?

Would you prefer to buy something for 99B or 116B?

That's your answer.

Everybody who spent some time in Thailand knows about this. There is no surprise. Just get used to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Would you prefer to buy something for 99B or 116B?

That's your answer.

Everybody who spent some time in Thailand knows about this. There is no surprise. Just get used to it.

So I buy something for 99 baht and find out I have to pay 116?

It certainly seems to be an inticement to get people in the door when they try to hide it.  A 499 buffet with a small asterisk near it.  Then, read another place the ++.  Not a scam per say, just seems to be a thing here.

1 hour ago, Dirk Z said:

In most European countries prices for goods must be shown as what they actually are. No surprises when the bill arrives. In many Thai establishments, in Bangkok even the vast majority, there are prices on menus that change according to the small print at the bottom: "10% service charge and 7% VAT will be added."

Since this is a fixed increase it is hard to understand why the prices cannot already be shown as the final amount needed to pay, instead of everyone having tho make the the calculation themselves or getting an unpleasant surprise when the bill comes up.

Just boycott these shops.

This is what I do.

If a shop doesn't show prices or lies on the displayed prices, I don't buy.

Period.

Everybody doesn't that and these practices will fade away.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Are you really that dense?

No need for insults. Say it was advertised at Bht 9999, but they asked for 11600, what would you do?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

Or you can just relax and come back to Thailand when you can afford to eat without complaining.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Isn't this even worse in the United States? Go to a supermarket and often surprise taxes are added - state sales tax, county sales tax.  No clear pricing.

in quebec, canada you can add 14% tax that is not yet on the price... now that sucks

1 hour ago, Dirk Z said:

So I buy something for 99 baht and find out I have to pay 116?

No, you know it will cost roughly 120B because you know that the prices are often ++. 

Or how often does this have to happen to you before you are not surprised anymore? 

And just to give you something to worry about: Maybe you decide to buy one of those discount memberships which some hotels sell. Maybe you get 30% or 50% discount.

Yes, but.... Let's say you see a meal advertised for 1,000B with 50% discount. How much will you pay?

Maybe probably think 1000B * 50% = 500B + 50B = 550B + 7% = 588.5B.

Surprise! You have to pay 1000B * 50% = 500B + 100B (10% service on top of the original price) = 600B + 7% = 642B.

So now that also won't surprise you anymore.

I know this calculation happens with some membership programs, I don't know if it happens with many or all of them.