Are cars legally required to stop for a zebra?

berro

13 minutes ago, connda said:

Are cars legally required to stop for a pedestrian crossing a zebra, or is it "up to them"?

Not unless there is a red light at the crossing. 

Wrong.

There is a legal requirement to stop with a ฿4000 fine if you don’t.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/21/2024 at 11:17 AM, berro said:

Are cars legally required to stop for a pedestrian crossing a zebra, or is it "up to them"?

I remember in Serbia a few years ago after a long stint in Asia, a car actually stopped when he saw me about to cross a zebra. I remember that I had to smile.

And over the months I spent there, I'd say 99 % of the time cars stopped.

Strange that in a country like Thaiand, where polite manners are highly appreciated in social life, suddenly throw all the poiteness overboard when it comes to traffic.

It's irrelevant if it's legal or not, it's what happens in practice that matters. "The law" doesn't put an invisible force-field around you when you step into the street at a zebra crossing. More fool you if you stand on principle in that situation.

As for manners and politeness, I guess you must have lived in a bubble during your time in the LOS. Plenty of nasty people here for whom the politeness is a thin veneer that collapses very quickly when put to the test.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40024294

The new traffic law showed that drivers who do not stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings will be fined 4,000 baht and lose one of their 12 total points, with the loss of all counts resulting in a 90-day suspension of a driving licence.

All driving licence holders will start with 12 points each. If drivers are caught breaking traffic laws, 1-4 points will be reduced depending on their types of violations. 

Before driving through a zebra crossing, drivers must stop for three metres and wait for pedestrians to cross over a road. 

Motorists must strictly abide by the traffic rules such as following a traffic light signal. 

A loss of all 12 points will contribute to a 90-day suspension of a driving licence. Motorists who drive while their licence gets suspended will be charged with a maximum of 10,000 baht or/and will face up to three months in prison. 

Yep, 4 points for drink driving, so you can get caught 3 times a year until you get banned for the last 90 days of the year. Then off you go again.

• Agree 1

On 9/22/2024 at 12:11 PM, watchcat said:

They are, but in traffic they're not, me first stupid people.

I'd love a study on this. Driving behaviour is so contrary to how they behave otherwise. My simplistic view is that they are anonymous in a vehicle and this is actually their true trait. Whereas when they are visible to others they fake courtesy. 

On 9/21/2024 at 12:00 PM, motdaeng said:

i usually stop at the pedestrian crossing, but i try to halt at least 10 meters before it and signal for them to cross. if a motorbike passes me on either side, i hope there's enough time to brake. sometimes, stopping at a crossing can be more dangerous than not stopping at all.

Thais know their way of the road, I think you add to the confusion, drivers will just go around you at speed, same with round abouts, they do not know how they are meant to work.

It doesn't matter what the laws say.

Even the crossings with lights a certain amount of cars will run them anyway.

I imagine someone considering themselves upper class will not stop for peons that have to walk.

There is not a day I don't see motorbikes and cars running red lights let alone a crosswalk.  (unless I stay home all day)

It's against the law to drive without a license, not wear a helmet on a motorbike,  not having your car registered, etc.  But millions are doing it every day.

• Agree 1

In the UK I believe there's no overtaking on a pedestrian crossing. So you have to follow the car in front or beside you. I once went past a police car in just such a situation. I got a serious dressing down as I was a cabbie and expected to know better. Pedestrian crossings in the UK used to have flashing orange lights (Belisha beacons) on each side of the road which were a great help to pedestrians in locating a crossing and to motorists to slow down as a precaution. I reckon they're essential for the safety of everybody but sadly are few and far between in Thailand. Crossings with traffic lights were known as pedestrian controlled crossings. You had to press a button and wait for the lights to change to red. Again, a safety feature.

Edited by bradiston

On 9/22/2024 at 12:36 PM, gargamon said:

The new traffic law showed that drivers who do not stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings will be fined 4,000 baht and lose one of their 12 total points, with the loss of all counts resulting in a 90-day suspension of a driving licence.

All driving licence holders will start with 12 points each. If drivers are caught breaking traffic laws, 1-4 points will be reduced depending on their types of violations. 

Before driving through a zebra crossing, drivers must stop for three metres and wait for pedestrians to cross over a road. 

Motorists must strictly abide by the traffic rules such as following a traffic light signal. 

A loss of all 12 points will contribute to a 90-day suspension of a driving licence. Motorists who drive while their licence gets suspended will be charged with a maximum of 10,000 baht or/and will face up to three months in prison. 

How unusual, this if adhered to will remove the licenses from most Thai drivers

I don’t really get into the city much, but I have started to see a bit of disturbing habit amongst the young, in the west, the placement of zebras are usually on smaller streets with low traffic flow, but here there seems no similar town planning rules. 

There are crossings in the town near a school, crossing a 4 lane main road, and another near to the uni - in the UK, as pedestrians we are taught to consider the driver, you wouldn’t just step out giving the motorist no time to stop, but I have seen young students just crossing using a variety of techniques, one technique is sheepishly standing at the side of the road and for no reason jump into the road and crossing in short spurts, often stopping in the path of moving traffic to grab hold of another kid attempting the manouve, the worrying one is entitled walk giving no consideration to wether the car can stop safely. I will always consider stopping at a crossing unless I have a fast moving car close to my rear, which happens a lot here, in which case I would defend my right not to stop. It’s all down to education on both sides. Students should be taught to not run on a crossing, to proceed at a uniform speed when it safe for vehicles to stop, not because they think they are entitled to cross. 

So from reading these post their is a lack of education or caring for people using Zebra crossings.  I thought that some where painted red so you didn't see the blood stain from the previous victim and scare off the tourists.

On 9/22/2024 at 12:36 PM, gargamon said:

All very well, but laws are never upheld in Thailand.

A traffic cop could become a millionaire if he stood near a Zebra crossing for a few days (especially those that have red lights) and stopped everyone who didn't stop for pedestrians.

On 9/21/2024 at 2:28 PM, JBChiangRai said:

All vehicles have to stop if someone is on the crossing, the fine is 4,000 baht.

Part of the problem is pedestrians, they stand on the crossing meekly for minutes waiting for traffic to stop and it never does.

Pedestrians need to be much more assertive but careful.

I regularly cross 2 zebra crossings when going to hospital appointments. Many is the time I stride past people standing meekly waiting for traffic to stop and in the process forcing drivers to brake sharply. I’m always ready to jump if they don’t stop. 

Learned behaviour is the problem here.

Are you insane? How many have been hit and injured or killed by thai's not yielding or just blowing by people that have stopped for pedestrians with mo regard for who's crossing the street in a valid cross walk.

• Sad 1

On 9/21/2024 at 11:17 AM, berro said:

Strange that in a country like Thaiand, where polite manners are highly appreciated in social life, suddenly throw all the poiteness overboard when it comes to traffic.

Have you noticed when Thai people crossing the street, zebras or no zebras, they always, what's the word, kind of like do a quick "bowing to the queen" regarding the car that has stopped for them? That's thank you for letting me pass. And they always scrurry fast so that it won't be too much of an inconvenience for the driver.

What does that tell you?  That pedestrians have no rights.  If you dig a bit deeper, that despite "in a country like Thaiand, where polite manners are highly appreciated in social life"  or in other words, despite an "all smiles and wais" appearance, the prevailing culture is a culture of bullies. The strong always win, ie exploit/ run over the weak in all aspects of life.

In case of traffic, when the rubber meets the road, why should it be otherwsie? The lesson to be learned is you've got to respect and defer to the bully. A lesson too late to be learned by some...

Yesterday in Phuket Town there was older lady crossing 1.5 + 1.5 lane road on a well marked zebra.  3PM a bit of a traffic going 20-30km/h.
Car in front of me was moving in a series of sprints, like faster slower faster slower, closing the gap and then making a gap.

So this car stopped before the zebra, old lady bowed to the car, proceeded to the center line while the car started to sprint forward suddenly and then slammed opn the brakes just in front of the lady! Driver did not stop for the lady, driver just did his thing  fast - slow fast slow  maybe chatting in Line .
Pure luck that he stopped 10cm before the lady. And she was looking the other way blissfully unaware that she was almost killed.

I remember watching the educational video in English when renewing my licence many years ago and thinking the Thai traffic laws are almost exactly the same as those in the West.

It was a long time ago but was a big surprise.

Nowadays I watch the Thai language video and see all the people in the room looking at their phones throughout.

• Agree 1