Sleeping hours

So most of you know I am a night owl most times I don't go to bed till dawn. But I di sleep about 10 or 12 hours. My wife keeps complaining I should go to bed early. Is there any medical advice you have to go to bed early? What about people working night shift? But I think my wife is just jealous because she is still working and I am retired. 

4 minutes ago, still kicking said:

So most of you know I am a night owl most times I don't go to bed till dawn. But I di sleep about 10 or 12 hours. My wife keeps complaining I should go to bed early. Is there any medical advice you have to go to bed early? What about people working night shift? But I think my wife is just jealous because she is still working and I am retired. 

Just start going to bed early, it is just time and get used to it, nothing else, unless you do not want to, then its hard to change if you do not put your mind to it. A bit more activity during the day, might help, and get up when suns get up helps to. 

Its like jet lag, you just do your best to turn the hours as you want them again. 

Edited by Hummin

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Just start going to bed early, it is just time and get used to it, nothing else, unless you do not want to, then its hard to change if you do not put your mind to it. A bit more activity during the day, might help, and get up when suns get up helps to. 

Its like jet lag, you just do your best to turn the hours as you want them again. 

If I go to bed early I can't sleep I wake up every 2 hours I tried reding Gammas posts on AN but I don't find them funny anymore 

14 minutes ago, still kicking said:

If I go to bed early I can't sleep I wake up every 2 hours I tried reding Gammas posts on AN but I don't find them funny anymore 

It takes some effort to create new healthy habits, so if you want changes, you do what it takes to make those changes. Doesn't help telling yourself you can't do it. Excuses, all it is

Doesn't matter how much you sleep n the night, you get up 6 in the morning, and do only 30min nap middle of the day, you will finely sleep in the night 

25 minutes ago, still kicking said:

My wife keeps complaining I should go to bed early. Is there any medical

Sounds like you've conditioned yourself, it's going to take some time to get into 'an early sleep routine'. 

A good way to recondition your sleeping habit would be, early to bed, have sex and sleep. 

It works for me. 😎

The Economist had a nice piece about it lately (you need to register, then you get 2 free articles).

Early birds and night owls.

Currently, the consensus is that it's not conditioned but genetically determined (I don't believe this,  but I am not a sleep researcher).

Early birds have a lot of health  advantages. 

But night owls do have some advantages, too. The one I found important: better sex life.