Thailand digital wallet handout falls short: Woman gets only 4,000

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If the Father was 6000 in debt, and 10000 goes into the account, quite right that the bank takes it's own money first.

Yes, but it wasn't her father's debt. It was debt of his son, her brother. So they should not have deducted from the father unless he was guarantor for her brother, which from his financial situation he was probably not.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

Yes, but it wasn't her father's debt. It was debt of his son, her brother. So they should not have deducted from the father unless he was guarantor for her brother, which from his financial situation he was probably not.

to cover an existing debt her father owed on behalf of her brother. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The woman speculated that the BAAC might have deducted the remaining amount to cover an existing debt her father owed on behalf of her brother. Frustrated by the shortfall, she planned to seek clarification from the bank, reported KhaoSod.

Doesn't seek clarification from her dead beat brother though.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

“I expected to withdraw the full amount that the government provided, but I only received 4,000 baht. I’m concerned that the bank may have deducted the rest for my brother’s debt.”

I, I, I, bless the father got <deleted> by the son, now the daughter.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

The money has run out and I don't mean the ATM machine. How desperate can you be to queue at 5am ?

Not desperate.........stupid, and infected with gimmenows disease.  The money ain't gonna run out, the ATM's will be refilled.  If you don't get it today, tomorrow will do just as well.

Reminds me of the western drivers during the gas crunch the day before prices went up.  The folks that lined up for hours, burning gallons of gas, waiting in line with motor running and AC blowing, all to save 10 cents a gallon for their 15-gallon tank.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I expected to withdraw the full amount that the government provided, but I only received 4,000 baht. I’m concerned that the bank may have deducted the rest for my brother’s debt.”

Would this explain the shift from digital wallet to cash deposit? It allows the banks to come in and take the money promised to the indigent? 

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

it wasn't her father's debt.

Apparently, it was, if the OP is to believed and that is all there is to go on,,,

"BAAC might have deducted the remaining amount to cover an existing debt her father owed..."

If it was a debt on the father's account that the B10k was credited to, eg. a loan account, perhaps, it is irrelevant to whom the debt "was on behalf of".

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

Why are they surpised?  If you have a debt at the bank of course they will first take care of the shortcoming and if something is left you will get the remaining part. that is how it works.  Instead of being happy she now has less debt complaining about the missing 6000 baht?  Bizar and weird.

I don't remember this program being promised as something to inject public stimulus money into the hands of banks

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The woman speculated that the BAAC might have deducted the remaining amount to cover an existing debt her father owed on behalf of her brother. Frustrated by the shortfall, she planned to seek clarification from the bank, reported KhaoSod.

More news updates on the story as we get it.

First, we don´t need more updates! Of course the bank will deduct the amount for any overdue debt when money comes in to the account. She is concerned??? Really? Guess she missed a couple of years in school!

Banks in Thailand have a quirk that Westerners are not used to, for example my gf owes money to a government agriculture bank, which clearly sees her entire family as the unit they deal with, not just her alone. For the security on the loan she took out, the bank did not want the land she was borrowing to buy, but rather her parents larger parcel, but it was not them borrowing the money.

All of you are wrong. 

Full stop. 

This 10,000 baht scheme is paid out in credits, not Baht. You get 10,000b in credit which you can only spend in certain places. 

NO ONE gets cash they can withdraw.  She took out 4000b of her own money. 

All transactions are done through the app, which is a backdoor for Thailand to become a cashless society. 

Thank the WEF and the muckety mucks who have attached themselves to the entrails of Klaus Schwab.