Feel sorry for AN posters who bought electric

Celsius

6 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Electric vehicles are at he start of their industry life and to date have delivered far more reliability and sustainability than than the conventional automobiles did in their prime of life from 1950-2000. 

Car Recalls: Models With The Highest And Lowest Projected Recall Rate, Per New Study

Among the findings was the unexpected prominence of electric vehicles at the top of the most recalled list, with six of the seven most recalled cars being EVs. This included all four Teslas, along with Porsche’s Taycan (in the number one spot) and the Lucid Air (in the fifth slot).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer/2024/07/11/car-recalls-models-with-the-highest-and-lowest-projected-recall-rate/

37 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Of course that post was a total lie.

Who buys and sells cars every year? Of course, won't even mention the model that supposedly depreciated only 10% in 2 years.

10% depreciation in 2 years is down to timing of sale and if there is a long waiting list for new cars of that model as explained in this post

"But most of all I sold it because I read they had dramatically ramped up production and the Thai dealer told me the time on the waiting list was expected to drop significantly and that would likely impact second-hand values."

as a rule new cars that have long waiting lists do command a higher resale value as some people if they at the bottom of the queue prefer not to wait

7 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Car Recalls: Models With The Highest And Lowest Projected Recall Rate, Per New Study

Among the findings was the unexpected prominence of electric vehicles at the top of the most recalled list, with six of the seven most recalled cars being EVs. This included all four Teslas, along with Porsche’s Taycan (in the number one spot) and the Lucid Air (in the fifth slot).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer/2024/07/11/car-recalls-models-with-the-highest-and-lowest-projected-recall-rate/

Headliners are great ... but might want to read the fine print ... :cheesy:

image.png.aa27f54fe90bce4ec460bd1564f62e33.png

If having a Toyota, which the tires were falling off, yea, you may want to take that in for an adjustment :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Perspective and fairness please.

Many of the EV recalls are minor issues that can be fixed without going to a dealership. They are software related.

That's a very big difference compared to the Pinto exploding gas tanks or the Ford Explorer roll overs or the defective airbags of the Japanese and Korean vehicles.

When OTAs were not included in the recall numbers, all four Teslas fell out of the Top 25 most recalled car list, as did the Rivian R1S. The Lucid Air moved from slot 5 to slot 25, barely making the list. Unfortunately for the Porsche Taycan it remained in the top spot, with all 70.7 recalls (apparently no OTA recalls happen for the Taycan). While EV (and particularly

The takeaway is that  the  EV manufacturers can quickly resolve the issues without inconveniencing clients. It is a much better outcome than my having to wait 1 year for a defective vehicle component to be replaced in my Mercedes.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Many of the EV recalls are minor issues that can be fixed without going to a dealership. They are software related.

But they remain recalls.

2 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

When OTAs were not included in the recall numbers, all four Teslas fell out of the Top 25 most recalled car list, as did the Rivian R1S.

But they remain recalls, and they were certainly also not in the top 25 of most sold cars

• Confused 1

No Forrest Gump this time.

But the message is the same.  

Even for the U.S. Secretary of Energy who was……..yikes… stranded in an EV.

But yes, in keeping with the subject title I feel sorry for the AN posters who brought EV’s.  

Some people are more gullible than others.

IMG_4120.jpeg

IMG_4121.jpeg

IMG_4122.jpeg

IMG_4123.jpeg

IMG_4124.jpeg

IMG_4125.jpeg

IMG_4126.jpeg

IMG_4128.jpeg

16 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:
16 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

not sold... i wonder why !

there are only 12 available for sale, that should tell you something!

Yes, it tells me that the resale value is even worse, if you can't even sell 1 from a limited number available.

Edited by CallumWK
  • Like 1

I feel sorry for the ICEV owners buying at silly prices for under performing vehicles that use an expensive fuel that degrades all parts of the engine it comes in contact with.

Guess they enjoy paying 2 to 5 times the cost to energize their transportation every week or so.

All those 2nd hand cars they won't be able to sell, as people are waking up and seeing the light ...

oie_RloHURnyZhCz.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

21 hours ago, phetphet said:

Too many people fell for the "electric cars are greener" mumbo jumbo.

They are not. They have just moved the polluting point from the engine to the battery.

As a result of the rapid growth of electric cars, there is now a time bomb on the horizon of what to do with old battery packs. Only a small percentage are currently recycled, and many of these are from car accidents where the batteries are damaged and the car manufacturers don't want to use them. . Others are reused or repurposed. But what happens to the ones that are broken down?

I saw a video that stated that currently over 95% of old batteries from electric vehicles end up in landfill.

Not so "green" when you take that into account if true. 

Strange that it’s always only the anti-EVers that bring up this EVs are greener argument. None of the EV owners on this forum has ever stated that as one of the contributing factors in the purchase decision.

It is however a fact that EVs significantly reduce air pollution in urban areas. Up until a few years ago, major cities like Beijing and Shanghai were perpetually covered in smog, in part due to emissions from ICEVs. Thanks to the EV revolution, this is no longer the case.

End of “useful” life EV batteries (<70% SOH) are expected to be repurposed as battery storage for home and commercial use. End of useful life does not mean end of life, just that the range has dropped. This is still sufficient for many people who use their cars for commuting and shopping. The reason that only a small percentage is currently being recycled is because very few batteries have reached the end of their useful life insofar as powering a vehicle is concerned. In spite of what some anti-EVers claim, the batteries do easily last 8 years or more. So the 95% figure you quoted above are probably batteries damaged beyond repair and is probably only a small figure in absolute terms. 

20 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

And that's before you account for the fact that most electricity that charges EV comes from fossil fuels, so you're not really significantly helping pollution either. The only way it might be greener is if you have a solar/wind/etc charger and used it instead of the grid - which owners don't do.

Quite a few EV owners on here have solar at home, myself included. PEA sells electricity at a heavily discounted rate after 10 pm and on weekends as they have excess production. Charging an EV off peak is a win win for both the consumer and the supplier.

I really hate the smell of diesel fumes especially first thing in the morning. My first thought whenever I see black smoke belching out from a vehicle is that a buffalo somchai is the vehicle owner. Seems like I’m wrong as there is a poster on here who thinks that black smoke matters. I guess one can’t teach stupid, regardless of nationality.

• Thanks 1

serious question:

why do ice (internal combustion engine) car drivers always attack ev (electric vehicle) owners?

why do this people keep using the same old arguments, most of which are either incorrect or have been debunked multiple times?

why are ev-haters so poorly informed?

ev cars aren't perfect, but no one is forcing you to go electric. 

ice cars aren't perfect either, and no one is forcing you to buy one!

for those of you who are open-minded, this is a good read. it may be a bit outdated and mostly about the situation in the uk,

but i can give you a more balanced view on ev cars.

Edited by motdaeng
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, G_Money said:

No Forrest Gump this time.

But the message is the same.  

Even for the U.S. Secretary of Energy who was……..yikes… stranded in an EV.

But yes, in keeping with the subject title I feel sorry for the AN posters who brought EV’s.  

Some people are more gullible than others.

IMG_4120.jpeg

IMG_4121.jpeg

IMG_4122.jpeg

IMG_4123.jpeg

IMG_4124.jpeg

IMG_4125.jpeg

IMG_4126.jpeg

IMG_4128.jpeg

I didn’t realise that ICE vehicles don’t catch fire. Thanks for that revelation.

On the other hand, I don’t feel sorry for having bought an EV. In fact I’m delighted that I’m saving thousands of baht every month not having to spend money on petrol and other consumables that ICEVs require. It’s even more satisfying currently thanks to the free charging given by BYD to some of the earlier buyers. I especially value the quiet time I have watching videos on my huge infotainment screen while charging, in air conditioned comfort. All for free of course.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Not True when you take into account the depreciation due to price reductions

Take 2 MG ZS EV owners for example 

1 person  purchased  MG ZS EV in 2020 4 years ago purchase price new B1,190,000

2 person purchased  MG ZS EV in 2024 purchase price B599,000

Now person 1 has seen a whopping price reduction of B591,000 before you take into account the age and condition of their vehicle 

If both owners were to sell tomorrow person 1 is going to see huge depreciation due to price reduction compared to person 2

it was absolutely true on both my cars, there were no price reductions after I bought them up until when I sold them

6 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

serious question:

why do ice (internal combustion engine) car drivers always attack ev (electric vehicle) owners?

why do this people keep using the same old arguments, most of which are either incorrect or have been debunked multiple times?

why are ev-haters so poorly informed?

ev cars aren't perfect, but no one is forcing you to go electric. 

ice cars aren't perfect either, and no one is forcing you to buy one!

for those of you who are open-minded, this is a good read. it may be a bit outdated and mostly about the situation in the uk,

but i can give you a more balanced view on ev cars.

Could be envy. Used to be that I didn’t like cats but I would never think of criticising a cat owner for their choice. However we adopted a kitten at the end of last year before its eyes were even open and she is now the darling of the house. Still stupid though, getting stuck up in the tree a couple of times a month.

• Like 1

Insurance in turmoil: EV price cuts continue, plans to "reduce capital - increase premiums" are being adjusted..

EV dump prices affect insurance capital
An insider in the non-life insurance business revealed to “Prachachat Business” that as a result of the price war for electric vehicles (EVs) in China, where prices have been repeatedly reduced since the beginning of the year, and most recently, Reve Automotive, the distributor and service provider of Chinese EVs under the BYD brand in Thailand, announced a price reduction of the BYD Dolphin small electric car model by up to 160,099 baht, and NETA Thailand decided to reduce the price of the NETA V-II EV model by up to 50,000 baht to compete and stimulate sales. This situation has had a significant impact on the car insurance business as wel

“Now each insurance company is reducing the insurance capital of new EV cars and it is expected that the insurance capital in the future will decrease by 30% per year, not just 10% anymore because the price of EV cars is quite dynamic. Every company has to think and act again because if the insurance capital of EV cars is more expensive than the second-hand price, there will be fraud,” said the source....: https://www.prachachat.net/finance/news-1598803

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Insurance in turmoil: EV price cuts continue, plans to "reduce capital - increase premiums" are being adjusted..

EV dump prices affect insurance capital

the electric vehicle industry is a rapidly evolving project, advancing at an unprecedented pace.

the development of electric vehicles is still in its early stages, with enormous potential for the future.

however, various sectors surrounding e-mobility are struggling to keep up with this pace and require constant adjustments.

we are seeing this now with insurance and other areas ...

interesting times lie ahead! 

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

it was absolutely true on both my cars, there were no price reductions after I bought them up until when I sold them

The MG EP+  Was launched November 2020 with a price of B998,000 the price reduction only occurred as a result of the EV 3.0 subsidy that started March 2022

MG EP normal price: 988,000 baht with a state subsidy of 227,000 baht. Net price: 761,000 baht*

MG EP PLUS normal price: 998,000 baht with a state subsidy of 227,000 baht. Net price 771,000 baht*

So there was a price reduction of B227,000 unless you purchased at B998,000

Anyone buying at B998,000 and selling at B600,000 would see deprecation of 39.8%  over their original purchase price

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

Of course that post was a total lie.

Who buys and sells cars every year? Of course, won't even mention the model that supposedly depreciated only 10% in 2 years.

I tend to change my cars every 1 or 2 years. 

I know the car market very well, that’s why myself and one of my daughters drive EV’s.  Decisions gained from knowledge trump opinions gained from ignorance or prejudice.

45 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Yes, it tells me that the resale value is even worse, if you can't even sell 1 from a limited number available.

If you knew what you were talking about, it would help.

The number of BYD’s on One2Car changes every day, it’s a very buoyant market with high demand. I’m trying to buy a 2nd hand Good Cat for my youngest daughter, but they are too expensive, new are a better buy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I didn’t realise that ICE vehicles don’t catch fire. Thanks for that revelation.

On the other hand, I don’t feel sorry for having bought an EV. In fact I’m delighted that I’m saving thousands of baht every month not having to spend money on petrol and other consumables that ICEVs require. It’s even more satisfying currently thanks to the free charging given by BYD to some of the earlier buyers. I especially value the quiet time I have watching videos on my huge infotainment screen while charging, in air conditioned comfort. All for free of course.

The tree huggers won’t be happy.

IMG_4131.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The MG EP+  Was launched November 2020 with a price of B998,000 the price reduction only occurred as a result of the EV 3.0 subsidy that started March 2022

MG EP normal price: 988,000 baht with a state subsidy of 227,000 baht. Net price: 761,000 baht*

MG EP PLUS normal price: 998,000 baht with a state subsidy of 227,000 baht. Net price 771,000 baht*

Anyone buying at B998,000 and selling at B600,000 would see deprecation of 39.8%  over their original purchase price

@vinny41 this is a personal question, and you don’t have to answer if you’re uncomfortable: what did you do in your previous professional life? :smile:

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

I tend to change my cars every 1 or 2 years. 

I know the car market very well, that’s why myself and one of my daughters drive EV’s.  Decisions gained from knowledge trump opinions gained from ignorance or prejudice.

Okay, I retract my comment. I read the other link, so fine.

However, you did say in that thread that cars are total cr@p and you basically bought a disposable Chinese vehicle to cut losses.

Edited by Celsius

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

We purchased at 771,000 THB. The plus model is 10,000 THB more than the standard model and comes with roof  rails and HEPA PM 2.5 air filter.

Edited by JBChiangRai
Correct number

1 minute ago, Celsius said:

Okay, I retract my comment. I read the other link, so fine.

However, you did admit that cars are total cr@p and you basically bought a disposable Chinese vehicle to cut losses.

No, I didn’t admit Chinese cars were total crap, I don’t believe that and I’ve  never believed it, although I suspect 10 years ago, they may have been, but I have no knowledge of that.

Just now, motdaeng said:

is she your mother or your ex wife? you seems to like (stalk) her ... :cheesy:

She’s your wife.  She wanted to hook up but had to tell her she’s not my type.

• Confused 1