Why does it take so long to receive mail from Australia?

giddyup

It's taking at least 2 months to receive airmail letters from Australia, that's ridiculous. Didn't take that long when mail was sent by ship. When I do get mail there's usually a few letters together, as though the postman/post office is holding onto them until there's enough to justify a delivery.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

It's taking at least 2 months to receive airmail letters from Australia, that's ridiculous. Didn't take that long when mail was sent by ship. When I do get mail there's usually a few letters together, as though the postman/post office is holding onto them until there's enough to justify a delivery.

Looking for cash in the mail  cash in the mail could be one reason

1 minute ago, itsari said:

Looking for cash in the mail  cash in the mail could be one reason

I doubt many send cash in mail from Australia, even if they did I doubt this would cause a 2 month delay in delivery.

Maybe it’s related to the updated duties ‘law’ on post?

I recall reading recently the 1500฿ minim duty threshold has been scrapped on items sent via post. Could be a reason for the bottle neck as they would have had a huge increase inspections.  
Please not I’m just speculating 

I know when i tried to send airmail to the US.. The postal service said they no longer do this. I do not know sure if maybe that is also the reason receiving letters. It always takes me 2 months or more to get a letter from the US.Perhaps it is saame for AUS

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I doubt many send cash in mail from Australia, even if they did I doubt this would cause a 2 month delay in delivery.

You are more than likely correct.

But dentists have been known to send cash out overseas and pick it up later while on holiday 

3 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

I know when i tried to send airmail to the US.. The postal service said they no longer do this. I do not know sure if maybe that is also the reason receiving letters. It always takes me 2 months or more to get a letter from the US.Perhaps it is saame for AUS

You couldn't send an airmail letter by post to the US, why? How else can a letter or documents be sent?

A4 documents, 10 days roughly to and from the UK via EMS. Costs about 700 THB. Small package from India, $23, about the same timescale, including customs clearance and taxation. The tracking was hopeless. By the time I got notified by the sender it had been delivered to the post office in Pattaya, it showed as still at Mumbai customs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Olmate said:

My.oz.nab.c/card bill.is(ALWAYS) 1month  late, has been for last couple yrs.

The letters I received yesterday were posted on the 9th of August, nearly 2 months.

2 minutes ago, Olmate said:

My.oz.nab.c/card bill.is(ALWAYS) 1month  late, has been for last couple yrs.

Why on earth wouldn't you just elect to have your bank statements sent by email rather than 1 month overseas mail?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Sounds like lost in translation.

As far as I know all letter mail is sent by air. So the term airmail and sticker might have vanished.

When I sent a letter to Germany I request registered mail ("long tabien"). I can then track it and see Suvarnabhumi and Frankfurt. Mail from pension office was 8 days in July. Letters to Germany almost always held up for days at Frankfurt customs.

The collecting/storing at the post office here is indeed possible. 

I received the pension letter on July 2nd while a friend in Jomtien still waiting at the end of the month. Told him to go and ask at his post office. But as he doesn't listen to anything I gave up.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

It´s because most other countries use airmail, while the Australian postman swims to deliver the mail. 😉 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sounds like lost in translation.

As far as I know all letter mail is sent by air. So the term airmail and sticker might have vanished.

When I sent a letter to Germany I request registered mail ("long tabien"). I can then track it and see Suvarnabhumi and Frankfurt. Mail from pension office was 8 days in July. Letters to Germany almost always held up for days at Frankfurt customs.

The collecting/storing at the post office here is indeed possible. 

I received the pension letter on July 2nd while a friend in Jomtien still waiting at the end of the month. Told him to go and ask at his post office. But as he doesn't listen to anything I gave up.

Haha! I know the type. But I recently received, maybe 2 weeks ago, a letter here in Philippines from HMRC telling me I'd been fined £100 for a late (unnecessary) tax return. Date on it was June 6th. When I rang the number on the letter, I was told the fine was now £1,000 and I'd better do something about it quick or HMRC would be issuing a red notice blah blah blah and notifying the Philippines government etc etc etc.