How do you pay?

CASH is king! Cash is ay least something you can use in case the "lines" break down, which they sometime do even here in Norway where I am now! Then you have to leave your groceries and leave and wait for every thing get on line again!! Norway even made it law for all businesses to accept cash or they will be fined! Imagine Thailand and how many times internet and electricity break down during bad weather and floods!! Cashless is brainless! Stupidity and ignorance, and maybe some lust for power over each and every one of you!! 

• Like 1

In my case, always in Cash.

Exception:

Cost of passport renewal at my country's embassy in BKK.

This way, risks of skimming will be minimal.

In recent years, I have heard of quite a few cases where customers' money is stolen  from the account liked to the online payment systems.

When I book my airline ticket, I am willing to pay B300- fee to the kind local travel agent.

As the cost of financial safety and peace of my mind...

Pettie benefits from non-cash payment don't interest me.

Edited by black tabby12345

On 10/3/2024 at 11:13 AM, garygooner said:

Saw an article saying Thailand could be cashless by 2028. Don't believe this will happen so soon, but just interested in knowing how most people here pay for things nowadays. Shopping, taxis, apartment etc. Do you use debit cards, Promptpay etc? I personally still believe cash is king and we should always have options. 

Cash

On 10/3/2024 at 11:24 AM, Robin said:

Just try using a credit/debit card in any shop in Thailand.  "No like, No want"  is the usual response, followed by over-charging to cover the car company's fee.  

There's no shortage of businesses that will happily accept payment by card and there is no merchants fee for accepting a debit card.

On 10/3/2024 at 2:09 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

The only really annoying place I know is starbugs. Even for one coffee, no cash. Annoying. Another reason to avoid that place.

Not all Starbucks have that policy, maybe you should patronise one of the hundreds that does accept cash?

At the moment I don't have any payment service on my phone....I don't even have banking information, the reason being that it seems to me that all banking fraud is linked to mobile apps. Sop none of that for me. If I have to make a payment in a store, over the phone etc I use AMEX where I can and VISA (baht account) where they don't.

On 10/3/2024 at 11:13 AM, garygooner said:

Do you use debit cards, Promptpay etc?

Debit card occasionally, otherwise CASH.  For me, none of this app payment stupidity.

My choice - no further comment from me.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

52 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not all Starbucks have that policy, maybe you should patronise one of the hundreds that does accept cash?

Normally I avoid that place. But sometimes I want an espresso and there is no other shop.

So, I go there, order it, take my cash out, and then they tell me they don't want cash.

And in two or three months I forgot about that and try again.

In Bangkok city no cash seems to be their usual policy.