Spreaders of Conspiracy Theories: Unmasking the Motivations Behind the Lies

Social Media

5 minutes ago, farang51 said:

I have never hears that Dems only want people to listen to MSM, I think you are making up stuff.

In the serious news outlets, it doesn't matter which party, if any, a journalist is registered to; they have a big beautiful wall between news and opinion. Those outlets also value facts over lies and they try to check things before they publish and if not true or if they cannot confirm the things, they do not publish them.

Seriously?  HRC is even advocating re-education camps for people who listen to the wrong sources.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2023/10/06/hillary-clinton-maga-cult-extremists-donald-trump-house-republicans-amanpour-cnntm-vpx.cnn

One thing worth noting is that Hollywood movies, starting with "Three Days of the Condor" released in 1975, have consistently promoted conspiracy theories.

International markets have become increasingly important to the American film industry, and portraying Russian, Chinese or Middle Eastern citizens as villains does not always attract global audiences or pass the scrutiny of local censors.

But since most Hollywood films base their plots on the eternal struggle between good and evil, screenwriters had to find alternative villains, acceptable to their broader audience.

The solution is to resort, more and more frequently, to some kind of domestic villain. Good Americans vs. Evil Americans. The latter personified by the conspirators of the "deep state", the "establishment", the "mainstream media" or the greedy "rich and powerful".

Over time this approach has been so successful and effective that it has convinced naïve Americans, and much of the international public, that America is actually at war with itself.

Not only have conspiracy theories dominated social media, but they contributed to the election of Donald Trump in 2016 and became reality on January 6, 2020, when a mob stormed the U.S. Capitol, aiming to lynch the Vice President Mike Pence and the House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

It is difficult to say where all this will lead us: to a new civil war or to a new international war, triggered by the perceived weakness of the United States, based on its internal division.

It goes without saying that a divided America is a weak America, an America fatally exposed to external dangers.
And we can already see who is preparing to strike.

Edited by AndreasHG
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO people will believe conspiracy theories because they don't trust the government/ authorities to tell the truth.

Were you one of those interviewed for this article? It seems to describe many characteristics of people of a certain political affiliation on AN.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Watawattana said:

Oh!  I was told that the word gullible had been removed from the dictionary.  I believed them!  Was that a conspiracy? 😬

Depends who told you. And you could always check for yourself. That would tell you everything you need to know about your informant, right?

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Assange spent over a decade in hiding because he wasn’t man enough to face justice.

I think there's some truth in that. But there was no knowing what sort of treatment he would have received had he handed himself in to "take the rap". He could have been a free man some years ago if he got only a few years. But if he'd got 20 years? That may be what was uppermost in his mind. Also, what would you irvi have done in that situation? And for a lot of the time he had a couple of rape allegations in Sweden pending. Anyway, he's done his time I guess, one way or another, so good luck to him now he's out and about.

10 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I think there's some truth in that. But there was no knowing what sort of treatment he would have received had he handed himself in to "take the rap". He could have been a free man some years ago if he got only a few years. But if he'd got 20 years? That may be what was uppermost in his mind. Also, what would you irvi have done in that situation? And for a lot of the time he had a couple of rape allegations in Sweden pending. Anyway, he's done his time I guess, one way or another, so good luck to him now he's out and about.

I’m not sure you are aware, but when an individual breaks the law they don’t get to have a say in the sentence.

53 minutes ago, farang51 said:

I have never hears that Dems only want people to listen to MSM, I think you are making up stuff.

In the serious news outlets, it doesn't matter which party, if any, a journalist is registered to; they have a big beautiful wall between news and opinion. Those outlets also value facts over lies and they try to check things before they publish and if not true or if they cannot confirm the things, they do not publish them.

And how many of these "serious" news outlets exist? Can you name some?

1 hour ago, impulse said:

With over 10x as many registered Dems in mainstream journalism as registered Repubs, you don't figure there's a reason that Dems want you to listen only to the MSM? 

And the reason isn't journalistic integrity...

journos.png.26649069d262b46dc09a4fe3dacc1458.png

https://www.theamericanjournalist.org/_files/ugd/46a507_4fe1c4d6ec6d4c229895282965258a7a.pdf

I don't trust your sources. And you see, you exhibit the usual paranoid projection of "They (could be anyone on your hate list) want you to (fill in as imagined)". I guess you're an American. Maybe most Republicans aren't smart enough to work as journalists? I mean, they sure don't appear to be that smart.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not sure you are aware, but when an individual breaks the law they don’t get to have a say in the sentence.

It's exactly what I was saying. He had no idea what his sentence might have been if he'd handed himself in. So, he didn't.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO people will believe conspiracy theories because they don't trust the government/ authorities to tell the truth.

Yes, if there is one thing we should have learned it's to trust the government:

Bay of Pigs

Gulf of Tonkin

Watergate

MKUltra

WMDs in Iraq

Now, don't forget to keep asking questions about Maui and North Carolina. East Palestine has been successfully erased from the memory bank already.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bradiston said:

It's exactly what I was saying. He had no idea what his sentence might have been if he'd handed himself in. So, he didn't.

He didn’t not hand himself in, he absconded and hid.

There is no right to not answer a court summons and hence that was another law he broke.

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Yes, if there is one thing we should have learned it's to trust the government:

Bay of Pigs

Gulf of Tonkin

Watergate

MKUltra

WMDs in Iraq

Now, don't forget to keep asking questions about Maui and North Carolina. East Palestine has been successfully erased from the memory bank already.

So we should only trust Trump and Vance and Truth Social/Fox news?

They are eating the dogs. 

They are eating the cats.

They are eating the pets in Springfield Ohio, springs instantly to my mind.

That was disproven as fake weeks ago. 

Did YOU believe it? After all Trump quoted it, Vance backed him up and they would never tell a lie, would they?

How about Trump quoting Taylor Swift backing and supporting him? Did you believe that as well?