Proof of Life

I have been recieving my company pension Certificate of Existence every year for years and used to get it signed by my BKK Bank Mananger. However, about 3 years ago the Bank informed me that by government instruction they could no longer be a counter signatory in such cases so I now have it signed by my Dentist. It used to be that I had to return the counter signed CoE to the company but during the Covid pandemic where mail was being disrupted, the company said I could scan the CoE and send the PDF by email. Have been doing so that since then.

Edited by parallelman

Related is US Proof of Life for continued social security payments Form 7162.

For those Americans in Thailand not capable of completing the form, ie., due to dementia/alzheimer's, contact me. I will relate my successful experience with social security by phone and US Consulate (Chiang Mai) to prepare a completed 7162 despite individual's inability to participate. 

PS: I am in Thailand as a long term resident.

On 10/7/2024 at 9:10 AM, giddyup said:

I get mine done at lawyer in Pattaya for 500 baht but I'm going to the police station at Nongprue today to see if the police will do it.

I hope you have better luck than I did then. 3K baht was the asking price six months ago.

I then asked a teacher I knew and it cost me a Chang.

16 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

One would think that quick video call on Skype, Facebook messenger, WhatsApp or Line, might prove that the claimant is still alive.

That is too easy and cheap. Government cash must be spent as well as your money.

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2024 at 8:11 AM, giddyup said:

Who has received Proof of Life requests from either Centrelink or their pension fund? I have just received my second one from my private pension fund and got one from Centrelink when I turned 80, now 82. Who did you get to witness the form?

We just got one from the Netherlands Again last week  (Usually  one every year) to Verify that one is still Alive We can get this Form Signed and Stamped  by our Local SSO. 

It's Free Off Charge. 

The Dutch Luckily have an agreement with the SSO here in Thailand . We haven't have to do one for the Pension from AUS but that will happen soon I think. I am 78  now. I got my drivers license  renewed today, Got 6 Yrs  because I went in  2 Months After my Birthday.  🙏

Who has received Proof of Life requests from either Centrelink or their pension fund? I have just received my second one from my private pension fund and got one from Centrelink when I turned 80, now 82. Who did you get to witness the form?

Needed for my father in the past. 1st time went to big private hospital in BKK. They took his pic, added to the note from the doc. Can't remember how much it was.

The next few years got it from the embassy for free.

On 10/7/2024 at 8:59 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

You will find that the usual endorsement required is certification from a notary public. These are frequently located in solicitors' offices. Cost: circa THB 1,000.

I got mine done at the police station on Beach Road Pattaya, next door to Central Mall for 200 baht. They knew exactly what to do and I was in and out in a few minutes. Every other prominent Thai person I tried refused to do it.

• Agree 1

On 10/7/2024 at 8:59 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

You will find that the usual endorsement required is certification from a notary public. These are frequently located in solicitors' offices. Cost: circa THB 1,000.

Agree, I took a friend from France, the notary, not only could not read English yet alone French, I told him what it was he signed it, and supplied copies of his diplomas, and his Photo 1k but that was a few years ago.    

On 10/7/2024 at 9:34 AM, proton said:

I fill them in myself with fake signatures, all they seem interested in is getting the form back

That's called, at the least, fraud, possibility forgery, and a reason to stop your pension payments. You risk YOUR pension cause you don't want to spend a couple hundred bt?

36 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

That's called, at the least, fraud, possibility forgery, and a reason to stop your pension payments. You risk YOUR pension cause you don't want to spend a couple hundred bt?

Were you in the boy scouts and a prefect at school? I stamp it with a Chinese stamp, never had pension stopped. Some worry too much. Not the cost it's the inconvenience.

Edited by proton
  • Haha 1

Last week I received an email from my bank in Australia.

They say the Oz Gov't has recently enacted several laws about proving identity and I have to complete a quite large document with all my personal details.

They also want the original copy of  my photo (same size etc., as passport) with my original signature using a pen (they call it a wet-ink signature, cannot be pencil, cannot be a photocopy).

And document must be sent to the bank in Oz by postal mail (not by mail). 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Last week I received an email from my bank in Australia.

They say the Oz Gov't has recently enacted several laws about proving identity and I have to complete a quite large document with all my personal details.

They also want the original copy of  my photo (same size etc., as passport) with my original signature using a pen (they call it a wet-ink signature, cannot be pencil, cannot be a photocopy).

And document must be sent to the bank in Oz by postal mail (not by mail). 

With all of the scams going on, I'd phone your bank just to verify it's from them.

• Agree 1

Meanwhile in the 21st century ...

My UK private pension provider use an App very originally called MyPensionID.

They send an email with a unique identifier, fire up the app, take a photo of your passport ID page (it reads the data) then take a selfie video (you need to blink).

A few seconds later it goes "ping", all done.

A further email arrives confirming your confirmation.

There is also a snail-mail option for those who are smartphone challenged.

My account-holding bank confirms that I am alive. It doesn't cost anything, at least at KrungThaiBank.

The Pooyai Ban should be able to witness as well, as they also have an official stamp for when they sign any documents. My pooyai ban ( Mae Luang ) will do for free as she's my wife.

On a slightly different tack, but related, Centrelink shouldn't need to obtain proof of life for expats, especially those in Thailand, and I'm guessing the same protocols would apply elsewhere in the world.  When an expat passes here in Thailand a couple of extra steps are required. in addition to obtaining an original death certificate, 3 copies must be obtained. The first copy together with the original is taken to the Amphur (District Office) so they can record the death. The 2nd copy is for Immigration so they can update their records and also notify the home country embassy. The home country embassy notifies the relevant govt departments in the home country including Centrelink if an aussie and the pension is stopped once the last valid payment is made. The 3rd copy is for the bank, so the bank account can be closed and the funds transferred to the beneficiary's account as per the expats last will and testament or in accordance with local laws.  Also Centrelink would know there was an issue if the final payment they remit to the expats bank account bounces due to account closure.  So that raises a minor question if an expat pensioner passes before turning 80 how does Centrelink know to cease their pension payments? Answer, because of the aforementioned procedure, which makes the proof of life process from 80 onwards a complete waste of time and tax payers money.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

I saw that. Looks like it's not the same everywhere - as usual. I tried two stations and then gave up. 

I tried a police station once and got the third degree treatment, they eventually telephoned the pu yai of my village who had to drive 17 km to the police station to say he knew me, that I was a good person, attended the village temple services, was never seen drunk etc. the captain then grudgingly stamped the form (no cost). Since the village has become a Tetsabaan I now get it done by the mayoress for free with no hassle.

41 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Meanwhile in the 21st century ...

My UK private pension provider use an App very originally called MyPensionID.

They send an email with a unique identifier, fire up the app, take a photo of your passport ID page (it reads the data) then take a selfie video (you need to blink).

A few seconds later it goes "ping", all done.

A further email arrives confirming your confirmation.

There is also a snail-mail option for those who are smartphone challenged.

Same with the Deutsche Rente Bund (German Pension) : It is possible with a form that has to be sent back by post, or online with this system, called in Germany PostIdent.

For my company pension I still need the form, which I receive by post. However, sending it back by email is sufficient.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

The Pooyai Ban should be able to witness as well, as they also have an official stamp for when they sign any documents. My pooyai ban ( Mae Luang ) will do for free as she's my wife.

On a slightly different tack, but related, Centrelink shouldn't need to obtain proof of life for expats, especially those in Thailand, and I'm guessing the same protocols would apply elsewhere in the world.  When an expat passes here in Thailand a couple of extra steps are required. in addition to obtaining an original death certificate, 3 copies must be obtained. The first copy together with the original is taken to the Amphur (District Office) so they can record the death. The 2nd copy is for Immigration so they can update their records and also notify the home country embassy. The home country embassy notifies the relevant govt departments in the home country including Centrelink if an aussie and the pension is stopped once the last valid payment is made. The 3rd copy is for the bank, so the bank account can be closed and the funds transferred to the beneficiary's account as per the expats last will and testament or in accordance with local laws.  Also Centrelink would know there was an issue if the final payment they remit to the expats bank account bounces due to account closure.  So that raises a minor question if an expat pensioner passes before turning 80 how does Centrelink know to cease their pension payments? Answer, because of the aforementioned procedure, which makes the proof of life process from 80 onwards a complete waste of time and tax payers money.

Centelink does require Proof of Life once you turn 80 every couple of years.

20 hours ago, john donson said:

you would think embassy would be up to for it as they sell you your passport, sell as in, not free...

Australian Embassy in Bkk and the official Aust. Consulate in Phuket do it.

I don' 't know if any charges.

Chiang Mai Consulate also but seems to be difficult to pin down days / times. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Australian Embassy in Bkk and the official Aust. Consulate in Phuket do it.

I don' 't know if any charges.

Chiang Mai Consulate also but seems to be difficult to pin down days / times. 

Embassy is not convenient if you don't live in Bkk.

On 10/7/2024 at 11:44 PM, soi3eddie said:

One would think that quick video call on Skype, Facebook messenger, WhatsApp or Line, might prove that the claimant is still alive.

Except that I do not use any of those things.

I do not even have wifi set up on my phone. It is a phone.

• Agree 1