Its too expensive I may leave

georgegeorgia

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Why do you persist in telling lies ?

I thought Ralfy you of all people would have sympathy for me .

Having said that I'm not sure if you want to join me at the Sizzlers buffet in Pattaya I think it's around the 200 baht mark and we can bring our containers with us and sneak food in when they aren't watching 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Western food and luxuries have always been comparable to prices in their respective countries.  How do you not know this?  If you're talking about the 70s, then yes, it was probably much cheaper, but a bottle of Coke was also 5 cents in the US.  

As far as the exchange rate, it fluctuates.  How do you not know that either?  Vietnamese Dong will also go up and down for yo ass.  As young Vietnamese girls keep seducing old Westerners and East Asianers, and take half their <deleted> when they divorce or the man croaks, the country will keep getting richer and richer.  So then, don't you think the prices of general costs will follow suit?

Vietnam's roads are <deleted>in' horrendous.  I've seen busy intersections that simply has a barrel in the center of it, and people just wrap around the <deleted>.  When diesel trucks are about to enter the intersection they literally do not slow down at all, they just honk their horn as to say "THE DEATH TRAIN IS COMING BITCHES MOVE OUT THE WAY TOOT TOOT".  Sorry to say, but they are pretty <deleted>in' primitive and savage-like out there. 

But enjoy your life there bruh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I thought Ralfy you of all people would have sympathy for me .

Having said that I'm not sure if you want to join me at the Sizzlers buffet in Pattaya I think it's around the 200 baht mark and we can bring our containers with us and sneak food in when they aren't watching 

You sir, are a f'in savage.  My kind of guy.  I used to help myself to bowls full of salsa at El Pollo Loco. lmao

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Iron Mike said:

You sir, are a f'in savage.  My kind of guy.  I used to help myself to bowls full of salsa at El Pollo Loco. lmao

And you are a 4...ng thief.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

And you are a 4...ng thief.

They put the salsa in a buffet-style bar with plastic to-go cups stacked next to it.  So by definition, it wasn't stealing.  Plus, I was a young man entrenched in  Los Angeles gang life, living in the projects.  I did what I could to eat.  

I suppose, to you, taking food from the Sizzler bar isn't thievery though huh?  You seem to be an individual who practices selective outrage.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Iron Mike said:

I suppose, to you, taking food from the Sizzler bar isn't thievery though huh?

Yes, it IS thieving. Selective outrage is a new one on me.

I see you only joined 25 minutes ago. Who were you previously?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, shackleton said:

If you can't afford to have a quality way of life here in Thailand 

In other words worry about spending money 💰 

Maybe you should think about going some where else 

Maybe you should not think about going anywhere .

See what I did there?

Edited by CallumWK

Hello, George. I understand your problem and concerns, and there is a solution. I've lived in Thailand for 40 years. Your living expenses will be huge if you live in a tourist destination (BKK, Pattaya, Phuket, etc.). You've retired. You probably want peace and quiet. Tourist destinations will provide the opposite while draining your savings. My wife and I spend 5,000 Baht per month at the most on ourselves and another 5,000 Baht on live-in 26-27 cats. No rent. Solution: You could live in a rural town (there are condos all over the place) very cheaply. Opposite the local university, there are small, cheap condos for rent and sale. The university campus is truly massive and full of trees and fields. I love to park at the back under a tree and enjoy the peace and the energy of nature there. You don't need a car. Riding a secondhand bicycle ride among the fields every day would make you feel happier than any tourist destination could because it is happiness through the heart. Prices in such a town are so, so much less. I could go on, but you've got the idea. If you move to Vietnam you'll only encounter the same financial problem unless you live in a peaceful rural location there. Australian Pension: 27,147 Baht per fortnight, I think. You're rich where I live in West Thailand.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I read all this because I plan to leave the USA when I retire (still 7 or so years away) and I've been doing tons of research over the past 10 years trying to find a place with tropical climate, beach, affordable, and good health care.  I understand that the world changes all the time and what I find now might not be the same in a few years -- but I figure the more research I do the better decision I'll make when the time comes.  Thailand seems to be one of the best options I've found - the housing costs are great, the food is tasty and inexpensive (I guess I'll avoid eating a subway?) - you can get good health care insurance for a reasonable price (for sure if you compare it to the USA), and there are nice beaches.  From my calculations it looks like it would cost me less than 25% of what I would spend in south Florida by the beach (assuming it isn't wiped out by a hurricane) - so this bit of it costing too much doesn't seem accurate, .. at least for me anyway.  The other plus I've found regarding Thailand as that it IS possible to get a Visa to stay long term and not have to do a border run every 90 days -- and when I'm older I'm not going to what to deal with that.  I've looked at Vietnam and the country itself seems just as good and actually probably better in a lot of ways - however there is no long term Visa you can get from what I see other than some sort of business thing that would cost a whole lot more money than I will have.  Even though the Thailand Elite Visa is expensive I might still opt for that because of all the benefits it comes with.  There are other places I'm looking into of course -- Portugal, Maurtius, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Belize, Panama, Greece --- I've researched all of these and a few more... but I still always end up thinking Thailand would be best.   One setback compared to like Panama for example is the distance from the USA -- needless to say Panama, Costa Rica etc are a lot closer to the USA than Asia -- but that alone is not enough to sway my decision.   Anyway -- for the person that started this thread -- heck I would just spend a little time trying to find cheaper places to eat and shop.  It looks to me (although I'm an outsider not living there or even been there) that you could find cheaper stuff there.  I don't see how one could live in Australia for the same cost of living as you should be able to do in Thailand.  I lived in Waikiki Hawaii for 10 years and loved it -- but OMG it was soooo expensive.  The rental in Hawaii was $6000+ a month and in Thailand the same thing is like $700.  Obviously if I'm getting less than $3,000 a month from social security and only have maybe $100,000 to start out with Hawaii or even Florida are not viable options... but Thailand sure looks like I would be just fine -- not rich - but quite comfortable.

• Like 2

There are so many unhelpful, rude, and insulting posts here. You should feel ashamed of yourselves. George is asking for suggestions to help him in his situation. How would you feel if you received the garbage that you are throwing at him collectively? George, I've replied to you somewhere here with a solution.

• Haha 2

Just now, renaissanc said:

There are so many unhelpful, rude, and insulting posts here. You should feel ashamed of yourselves. George is asking for suggestions to help him in his situation. How would you feel if you received the garbage that you are throwing at him collectively? George, I've replied to you somewhere here with a solution.

People tend to have disdain for idiocy in all its forms.  Please get used to it.

No one is callin' ol Georgie an idiot.  However, the sentiments in his post are quite idiotic.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

My wife and I spend 5,000 Baht per month at the most on ourselves and another 5,000 Baht on live-in 26-27 cats.

That is the saddest thing I have read today.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2024 at 9:42 PM, Upnotover said:

Why on earth would you buy/eat that?  Australia is actually the only place I ever bought one, never again, anywhere.  Or maybe  Brisbane just can't get real bread.

Also only place I ever visited a Subway 20+ years ago, no need for any further visits

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your lucky ,I'm on $5 an hour as a janitor 

But getting back to expensive,some of the prices here in Thailand are horrendous compared to Australia 

T shirts ,shorts , luggage I can get cheaper in Australia 

I never use to be able to 

I used buy hundreds of t shirts once in Thailand 

Look I'm forced to go buy second hand at the Soi bukhao market for 40!baht which I will 

And now 1000 baht is practically $50 Australian I'm watching every penny !!!

Seems like you spend more than necessary on buying 100' of t-shirts, have you tried comparing the cost of laundering t-shirts versus the cost of buying a new one each time you've worn one?

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your lucky ,I'm on $5 an hour as a janitor 

But getting back to expensive,some of the prices here in Thailand are horrendous compared to Australia 

T shirts ,shorts , luggage I can get cheaper in Australia 

I never use to be able to 

I used buy hundreds of t shirts once in Thailand 

Look I'm forced to go buy second hand at the Soi bukhao market for 40!baht which I will 

And now 1000 baht is practically $50 Australian I'm watching every penny !!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Australia using dollars and cents? If so why do you convert that to penny's in order to watch them?

Just curious 🤔 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1