Pink I.D Card & Yellow Book

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Agree on Yellow Tabien Baan as proof of address. Things certainly do vary though. I've never stayed in a hotel in Phuket or Krabi (irrespective of who does the checking in or the name on the booking) where the desk staff haven't demanded my passport then leafed through the pages to find my latest extension stamp and taken a photocopy.

Can be even more complex. I have PR (28 years), tried once in Pattaya to use my pink card to check-in at 4 star hotel. Rather arrogant young man said 'what is the expiry date?' 

I explained PR is for life so there is no specific expiry date. Hotel boy responded 'that's not possible'. I showed him the pink card again pointing to the expiry date area on the card and the fact there is no date but there's the Thai word 'cheewit' meaning lifetime.

The boy insisted 'it's a mistake and you should check these things before you made incorrect statements'. He also said 'I should cut up this card maybe it's fake'. 

I instantly grabbed the card and put it in my pants pocket and walked out.

Next hotel accepted the pink card with a smile. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2024 at 10:09 AM, Bangkok Black said:

Hello all,

I would like to get a pink ID card and a yellow book.

What do I need to do and what do I need to get in advance?

I have looked on Google and YouTube but it seems confusing and each report seems to just add to my confusion. Each video on YouTube gives a different way that the person got said items.

Does the process differ depending on where you are in Thailand?

is there meant to be a process that every office should follow?

I could do this in Bangkok or Prachin Buri.

Different answers is because it's "same-same but different" in different provinces.

At the place you stay, check with the local tessa ban-office, what they wish of documentation and witnesses for being registered in a yellow house book for aliens, which is first step.

Normally you'll need a certified translation of the name-page of you passport to Thai language and two witnesses, of which one must ne a neighbour and one must be a governmental employee. You will also need acceptance from the house master or host where you stay; i.e. the person that can accept people to be registered in the house book. If you own an apartment or a house – you can own a house, but not the land under it – you will have a blue house book and ought be registered as host by tesssa ban. Some places you'll also need to pass an interview to be registered in a yellow house book for aliens; however, you don't need to be able to speak Thai, a translator is allowed.

When having a yellow house book for aliens you can apply for a pink ID-card at the local amphor-office. You might need a letter from the tessa ban-office to apply.

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Can be even more complex. I have PR (28 years), tried once in Pattaya to use my pink card to check-in at 4 star hotel. Rather arrogant young man said 'what is the expiry date?' 

I explained PR is for life so there is no specific expiry date. Hotel boy responded 'that's not possible'. I showed him the pink card again pointing to the expiry date area on the card and the fact there is no date but there's the Thai word 'cheewit' meaning lifetime.

The boy insisted 'it's a mistake and you should check these things before you made incorrect statements'. He also said 'I should cut up this card maybe it's fake'. 

I instantly grabbed the card and put it in my pants pocket and walked out.

Next hotel accepted the pink card with a smile.

Wow! Shocking customer service. He could have been on the receiving end of something (or someone) very nasty earlier on? 

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I am told that you can only do the lump sum and continue health if you work for less than 15 years, after that it is pension and no option for health?

I'm not knowledgeable about that item. Suggestions:

1 Call 1506 the SSF Hotline and check, use the English option.

2. Check the SSF Act section 39. As follows:

Section 39.[1] Any person  who is  an  insured  person under  section 33, has  paid contribution  for a period  of not  less than  twelve  months  and,  subsequently  ceases to  be insured  person in  pursuance  of  section 38(2),  if  such  person  wishes  to continually  be insured person, he or   she   shall, within   six   months   from the   date   of   his   or   her termination  to  be  insured  person, notify  his  or  her  statement  to  the  Office according to the  regulations  prescribed by  the  Secretary – General.

Perhaps better to read point 2 above before calling the 1506 Hotline 

-    Note the twelve months details.   

-    Also note after retirement and receiving the savings payout a member has six months to decide if they wish to continue their Injury and Sickness benefits and pay  direct to the SSF 432Baht a month member contribution. This can continue until death.

-    Also note after retirement and receiving the savings payout a member has six months to decide if they wish to continue their Injury and Sickness benefits.

More details on this in my post above earlier today in this thread. 

37 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have had mine since 2010 and the number just means you are on the Thai database. Interaction with any department doesn't happen unless it is initiated.

I registered at the hospital with my yellow book and when covid came along the hospital put me on the app without me having to do anything. Had the vaccine about 9am the day rollout started while those that dismiss the benefits of the yellow book were pulling their hair out.

I knew someone who was registered at the same hospital and his wife went and complained when she found out about my appointment. Turned out he had registered with his passport and had no 13 digit number.

Appears your hospital took the iniative upon your behalf which obviously worked to your benefit. It would seem you were wrongly (or rightly) treated as a Thai. At my local community hospital registering didn't come into it. They would ring us and Thai Mrs and myself could both go as soon as they received stocks of vaccine. I didn't have my Yellow Book/Pink Card then but it made no difference in my case.

8 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

my 2 cents to this process:

in case you are married - take a copy of your Marriage Certificate to the translation service to make sure the Thai spelling of your name from your passport will match, phonetic translations do differ a lot, and this approach will help with compatibility issues down the road. 

Excellent advice !!! 

We luckily had a digital copy of the marriage cert to check…. 

Edited by richard_smith237

On 10/15/2024 at 9:09 AM, Bangkok Black said:

Hello all,

I would like to get a pink ID card and a yellow book.

What do I need to do and what do I need to get in advance?

I have looked on Google and YouTube but it seems confusing and each report seems to just add to my confusion. Each video on YouTube gives a different way that the person got said items.

Does the process differ depending on where you are in Thailand?

is there meant to be a process that every office should follow?

I could do this in Bangkok or Prachin Buri.

YouTube is useless for stuff like this. Just confusing. I didn't bother with the pink ID card in the end, couldn't be bothered for the few benefits. Found some other people's experiences here: https://www.thethailandlife.com/pink-id-card and the Yellow Book requirements there too: https://www.thethailandlife.com/tabien-baan