How many times have you left Thailand?

Celsius

I mean announced on internet that you are leaving, but 1 - changed your mind, 2 - never meant to leave and were just trolling or 3 - left and returned for whatever reason?

Me the combo of all the above around 7-8 times that I can think of.

The replies were the usual....don't let the door hit you in derriere, this isn't the airport, poor sap ran out of money, enjoy the winter and fat women, etc ....

1 time so far this spring, but still travelling for a month or two once and awhile. Been one month after, and coming back next month for 2 or 3 months. Will keep my retirement visa as long it fits with renewal while Im there. 

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

Apologies.  You did read the question but answered a completely different one.

The first 3 or 4 posters also answered a completely differently one also, so I followed their lead. You didn’t quote them for some reason. Interesting. 

1 minute ago, Nemises said:

The first 3 or 4 posters also answered a completely differently one also, so I followed their lead. You didn’t quote them for some reason. Interesting. 

Apologies, I was hoping to stem the tide of incorrectly answered questions.

• Haha 1

Considering the fact that I do not have a fortune, I will stay. There are many issues to consider. Going back to the US is not an option. I would not want to live there now, unless I was being paid over a million dollars a year, and then I would only do it for 3 years, and then leave. For me, it is about quality of life, and my level of fulfillment on a daily basis, which I seem to have here in abundance. A big factor here, is the relatively light hearted attitude of the people. You just do not find that in the US, where most seem bitter, disenchanted, unfulfilled, and heavy hearted. 

This is an entirely subjective topic, of course. But some of us live very good lives here. Some of us have been fortunate enough to find an outstanding woman, who is delightful to be around, on a daily basis, always has our back, and is fun, smart, and lovely. For me, that likelihood of finding that back in the US, would be very low. So, that is a big factor for me. The second factor is just the quality of life. Sure, I miss alot of the culture back home. The theatre, independent film (which I can download here with no issues at all, and a super fast 1 gbps fiber optic connection, at under 700 baht per month!), stand up comedy, live jazz, etc. But I have a lovely home that I rent, for about 10% of what I would pay in California, I live very well on an income which is not huge, have access to great health care, at a tiny fraction of what it costs in the US, and do not have to put up with alot of the aggravation that I had to when I lived back there.

Frankly I have given it some thought, and I really don't think that I have a realistic alternative to Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

I did think about it once or twice, but when I look at what it costs to rent in the old country, before even thinking about the cost of food etc etc, is enough to turn me off.

What I have learnt in the decade that I have lived here is, that you can't live back in the old country the way you would live here, e.g. to live in the house that I built my Mrs on her land, e.g. 5 beds, 3 baths, on 1,000 square metres with a 20 metre frontage, yes up country, would cost me 60 million baht vs 2.5-3.0 mil baht that it cost me to build it here.

To rent say a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom 100 square metre 2000 built condo where I would want to live would set me back 18,000 baht per week, yes week.

Thailand is not perfect by far, and you can call me a racist if you like, but I'm not, the thing is, I only see the same faces here (Thai's), over and over again, vs a failed multi-cultural society back in the old country.

Would I go back, what would be perfect for me would be to spend 3 months here, 3 months there, or 6 and 6 but it's hard with kids, so you bite the bullet, but when the kids do finish school, I will seriously look at returning for them, because work and working conditions here is the pits from what I have been told.

• Agree 1

Time to dust off my old trope:

I am celebrating my 20 year anniversary this month since I arrived in LOS. Initially after seven years, I got fed up with the Thai red tape and sold or gave away my worldly possessions and moved to Zihuatanejo, Mexico. After six weeks of experiencing a REAL HELL HOLE, I got my ass back here with a renewed appreciation for what Thailand has to offer. Perfect? Of course not, but I've adjusted and am happy with my decision to spend the rest of my days here.

27 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

What I have learnt in the decade that I have lived here is, that you can't live back in the old country the way you would live here, e.g. to live in the house that I built my Mrs on her land, e.g. 5 beds, 3 baths, on 1,000 square metres with a 20 metre frontage, yes up country, would cost me 60 million baht vs 2.5-3.0 mil baht that it cost me to build it here.

This is apples and oranges. I can buy a house in Canadian boonies for 50 thousand Canadian dollars with better infrastructure than in Thailand. 

People should really stop making these comparisons between Buriram and San Francisco/Sydney/Vancouver.

10 minutes ago, Celsius said:

This is apples and oranges. I can buy a house in Canadian boonies for 50 thousand Canadian dollars with better infrastructure than in Thailand. 

People should really stop making these comparisons between Buriram and San Francisco/Sydney/Vancouver.

But Canada is even colder than the UK.

I don't want to live in either place (or Serbia for that matter).

• Agree 1

Once - for good!

After 20 years in retirement in Thailand I moved across the border to Siem Reap in Cambodia where I have lived happily for almost 5 years (February next year will be 5 years). Main reason - the total bureaucracy and scam financial requirements regarding a Thai retirement visa. In fact, yesterday I collected my UK passport with another retirement (ER) visa from the Cambodian Immigration agent - oh so simple! Valid passport, recent pp photo, 300US$ and proof of entry on FPCS (Foreign Persons in Cambodia System). My landlord accompanied me to show this as the onus is on him. 10 working days later, passport returned. Visa for one year includes multiple re-entries.

Never stated intent to, or planned to leave TH, after arriving Sept 2000.  Commuted to work (USA) a few times, then stayed permanently Mar 2001.

Returned 2X, once for couple months, help mother pass on to new dimension, and other time was for long weekend, to pick up  check 😎

Any other time, was popping across the border to do 90 day turn around, (Laos & Myanmar) or a short week to Vientiane.  Last time doing that was Aug 2012.