Short term volunteering; visas and work permits

jnp73

On 10/18/2024 at 4:12 PM, NativeBob said:

Teach English for free? How noble of him!

As long as there're no money involved - otherwise WP and proper visa required. Don't try to outsmart local immigration

If he wants to teach a visa is required, pay or no pay, it requires a visa.

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2024 at 3:59 PM, jnp73 said:

A friend's son wants to come to Thailand to do a few weeks volunteering teaching English. The volunteering company has said it's ok to come over on the tourist visa or on a visa-exempt basis and not bother with a work permit.

How much is he paying to "volunteer?"  <laughs>  Fools.

It's illegal.  If he gets caught he risks deportation and getting black-listed. 

38 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

If he wants to teach a visa is required, pay or no pay, it requires a visa.

42 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

For all the talk and faux hysteria, can anyone direct me to a confirmed incident of a person being prosecuted  for volunteering?

Fined, imprisoned, deported, waterboarded, blacklisted any proven example will do. Even a jolly good official telling off will do.

I went to four court sessions exactly about it. all were dismissed be the same reason: no valuable evidence presented. 

Not long ago pre-Covid years. Bangkok court. Jewelry making and IT -related cases.

Unless su*ker confesses himself which is pretty dumb thing to do, but ...

Edited by NativeBob

I taught English here on a Non-B with a work permit for 3 year when I first came here.  Immigration DID DO sweeps looking for teachers without work permits during the time I taught.  And deportation and other headaches associated with being arrested for illegally working were the consequences.

"I don't believe you.  Show me proof."  Nah.  Tell your friend to go ahead and teach English without a work permit.  It doesn't affect me one bit if your buddy gets picked up by immigration.  He may not be too happy with you tho'.  Stupid is as stupid does.  There ain't no cure for stupid.