Positive stroke for moving to Chiang Mai

JimGant

This is a 'feel good' news story about moving from the US to Chiang Mai. Probably similar for most of us reading this, especially Yanks, who, for most of us, will have no new tax hit with the recent Thai proposals. And who get by just fine in the smoky season.

https://www.businessinsider.com/retired-florida-cop-moved-to-chiang-mai-thailand-cheaper-safer-2024-10

34 minutes ago, JimGant said:

This is a 'feel good' news story about moving from the US to Chiang Mai. Probably similar for most of us reading this, especially Yanks, who, for most of us, will have no new tax hit with the recent Thai proposals. And who get by just fine in the smoky season.

https://www.businessinsider.com/retired-florida-cop-moved-to-chiang-mai-thailand-cheaper-safer-2024-10

You couldn't give me free housing & living expense to live at CM during smog season.

Who in their right mind would leave the USA, where the air is usually healthy, to live in CM, for ~6 months of unhealthy air breathing ?

PM2.5 levels 2-10+ times WHO's healthy guidelines.  No Yanks that I know are that stupid :coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

many foreigners still consider chiang mai the best place to live in thailand. it's hard to believe, but true ...

who would willingly move to a city known for traffic jams and extremely unhealthy air during the burning season ...

you have to wonder what goes through people's minds when they move to a city known for its extreme air pollution ...

and then talk about having a good quality of life in chiang mai ... unbelievable ...

18 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Why go there when there are so many other places to choose from just in Thailand.

Isaan is fantastic....brilliant.....amazing.

Was your Mrs looking over your shoulder and possibly holding some sort of weapon when you typed that last bit?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Keeps said:

Was your Mrs looking over your shoulder and possibly holding some sort of weapon when you typed that last bit?

555....No....but I'm often on here complaining bitterly about my (non)-life in Isaan....555

52 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You couldn't give me free housing & living expense to live at CM during smog season.

Who in their right mind would leave the USA, where the air is usually healthy, to live in CM, for ~6 months of unhealthy air breathing ?

PM2.5 levels 2-10+ times WHO's healthy guidelines.  No Yanks that I know are that stupid :coffee1:

Chiang Mai is clearly one of the best place to live in Thailand, for a few months the air is poor, but you can easily head to the islands then.

No wonder the US press is reporting these stories, Chiang Mai never disappoints.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Chiang Mai is clearly one of the best place to live in Thailand, for a few months the air is poor, but you can easily head to the islands then.

No wonder the US press is reporting these stories, Chiang Mai never disappoints.

From reading the forum, most seem to be a little too skint to have 2 homes, or paying for one, while O&A the other 6 months, waiting for the rains to start in May.

Or will enjoy the temps of the South, along with the cost, since it is high season.

Agree, it's great for 6 months of the year, and why we popped up northward a few times the pas 4 ish years, during rainy season :coffee1:

Actually for us, with exception of the past 4 yrs (rainy season) it has always disappointed me, the prior 20 years of visits, as most were during smog season.

Timing is everything here / TH.

Edited by KhunLA

I ain't giving them my email to read the story ......... spam me!

But I'm happy enough here, plenty of foreign restaurants and expat food suppliers, and the cycling is great.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Agree 2

Just now, KhunLA said:

From reading the forum, most seem to be a little too skint to have 2 homes, or paying for one, while O&A the other 6 months, waiting for the rains to start in May.

Or will enjoy the temps of the South, along with the cost, since it is high season.

Agree, it's great for 6 months of the year, and why we popped up northward a few the pas 4 ish years, during rainy season :coffee1:

Actually for us, with exception of the past 4 yrs (rainy season) it has always disappointed me, the prior 20 years of visits, as most were during smog season.

Timing is everything here / TH.

That's such a shame, if you ever come around during the good air season hit me up and I'll show the best places. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

You haven't lived in So Cal and the Eastern mountains when burn season cranks up in Cali.

3 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

Chiang Mai is a polluted hellhole built on a flood plain…
I highly recommend no one else move here… :coffee1:

You're screwed ... always makes the top lists of place to retire or visit in TH.   Same as Hua Hin ... :cheesy:

My area is way too boring for most folks, thankfully :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1