California doctor claims spicy Thai dish left her with chemical burns

snoop1130

“She incurred permanent injuries and will forever be damaged,” according to the lawsuit filed in Santa Clara County Superior Court.

And she's only claiming $35,000? 

Something definitely lost in translation here! 🙂 

Sounds more like an allergic reaction. And even if not, how can the restaurant be held responsible? She ordered it, end of. If she's Indian she should know about hot curries. She'll litigate in the hope the restaurant will settle. Arrogant and brazen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, sumongkhwai said:

Never had them before but, do fancy the name and, the name, in and of itself, sounds like something that would be hot and spicy. Maybe not enough sugar in this batch? Whenever my wife makes some som tam (which seems like every day!) it's a coughing/choking/runny nose affair but, that's how she likes it (sometimes too hot for her reles).

Seems like a good opportunity to use that Thai line; the doctor says she tasted her friends Dragon Balls (the food from the restaurant) the other day and they weren't as hot to which the waiter gets to reply "Same same but different".

Trial should be a banger; Dr. Walia how often do eat Dragon's Balls? In your previous experience, what was your favorite part of the Dragon's Balls? Could you please describe for the court the size and shape of said Dragon's Balls? Have you ever have to treat a patient with Dragon's Balls?

Maybe she tries it on everywhere. Order something super hot then throw a fit when her ass catches fire.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sambum said:

“She incurred permanent injuries and will forever be damaged,” according to the lawsuit filed in Santa Clara County Superior Court.

And she's only claiming $35,000? 

Something definitely lost in translation here! 🙂 

I think that's a formality to file the lawsuit.  It's "at least $35K".  If it's California and she gets a leftist jury, the settlement may run into the $billions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

An American doctor... 

And ordering a super spicy dish and finding out that it is super spicy, it seems she is not the smartest cookie in the jar.  

She did ask for it to be made less spicy. Just like so many foreigners do. Seems the restaurant did not adhere to her request. So why insult the doctor? 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

And their food is not that spicy. LOOK at the chilies they are using.

Those same dehydrated (or "sun dried") hard chilies that have almost no flavour at all.

The dish that the restaurant calls Dragon Balls is larb tord (ลาบทอด), which even in Thailand can be quite spicy or not spicy at all depending on the individual cook. Those roasted chilis are an accompaniment to eat with the dish, not one of the ingredients.

8 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

She did ask for it to be made less spicy. Just like so many foreigners do. Seems the restaurant did not adhere to her request. So why insult the doctor? 

Let's say my gf orders SomTam. Maybe there will be 20 chilies in there. It's too hot for me to eat. If I would ask them to make it less spicy, and they would only have 10 chilies, it's still too spicy for me.

And if they would put only one chili in SomTam, then it would still be spicy (for "western" taste). And of course it wouldn't be SomTam anymore.

It's like ordering a mushroom salad without mushrooms. It doesn't make any sense! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Remember the McD hot coffee lawsuit.

"Liebeck acknowledged that the spill was her fault. What she took issue with was that the coffee was so ridiculously hot — at up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, near boiling point — that it caused third-degree burns on her legs and genitals, nearly killing her and requiring extensive surgery to treat."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/12/16/13971482/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit-stella-liebeck

California doctor claims spicy Thai dish left her with chemical burns. 

Ordering a spice dish and than complaining .

That's what one  would call  Pretty stupid .

She knew that she couldn't eat very spicy food.

Let her go to court and give her nothing ,let her pay for  court cost and counter sue her .

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

"Liebeck acknowledged that the spill was her fault. What she took issue with was that the coffee was so ridiculously hot — at up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, near boiling point — that it caused third-degree burns on her legs and genitals, nearly killing her and requiring extensive surgery to treat."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/12/16/13971482/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit-stella-liebeck

I always boil my water before making my steaming hot cup of coffee, which is the way I demand it......why would I want lukewarm coffee?! Maybe it's just me, but maybe she shouldn't spill it on her genitals and legs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Celsius said:

Probably a liberal. 

Oh yeah but remember she is from the land of it's someone else's fault LA LA Land 

the land of reparations for slavery, even though there was no slavery.

Boy gets off the light after killing women because Mommy and Daddy were too nice to him.

When I worked in the UK, in a large financial organisation, it was commonly known South Asians were 4 times more likely to use the formal grievance processes than either whites or blacks and far less likely to make impulsive decisions. This makes them loss-making customers. It is a cultural trait. The firms are aware of this but absolutely cannot refuse their custom as it would be discriminatory on the grounds of race. So they target their advertising to the black community and never target South Asian customers.

What idiot orders something called dragon balls and asks for them to be less spicy? 

What idiot thinks each order is spiced from scratch, on-demand rather than prepared ahead of time?

also, how many other people have suffered irreversible chemical burns as a result of this dish? 

Surely permanent damage is something others may have reported as well.

Edited by madone
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

So why did she order spicy in the first place?

If I order s[icy food I just have a small taste first. If it is too spicy for me then i will say so and leave the food. When comes the time to pay the bill, I would pay it in full and explain to the wait staff, that it was my problem for ordering it in the first place.

That is the blessing or the curse, of being born with common sense.

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So why did she order spicy in the first place?

If I order s[icy food I just have a small taste first. If it is too spicy for me then i will say so and leave the food. When comes the time to pay the bill, I would pay it in full and explain to the wait staff, that it was my problem for ordering it in the first place.

That is the blessing or the curse, of being born with common sense.

Right. Only idiots would take a big gob full if they had never tasted dragon's balls before. Maybe she was sexually excited? As Rita Hayworth sang, "There is a fire down below. Down below in my ........😉😄

• Like 1

The restaurant just needs to label things.

This spicy food is... spicy

This coffee is hot.

This barstool is high.

This beer is alcoholic.

This chair certified for weight below 150lb

Do not push this door open quickly enough to break someone's nose. Management accepts no responsibility.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

This could set a precedent for "hot" coffee sales?  Not too hot or you could get sued for a spill caused by the consumer? I'm surprised SBUX has not been sued like this because back in the US their coffee has been really hot. 

Those same dehydrated (or "sun dried") hard chilies that have almost no flavour at all. The Chinese use these a lot and restaurants overseas where they can't get fresh ingredients.

It's impossible to prepare GongBaoJiDing without dried chilies, in fact.

I do not believe her story.

Just because one doubles the amount of chili in a Thai dish or a Chinese dish, does not mean that this will lead to physical injury.

The way she is moaning, you might think that she ate a peanut, or something.

Next time I see her, I'l give her some bear spray, and see how she likes it.

image.png.deb4ebe262a71211144a9e190b9fda04.png

GongBao JiDing

image.png.f559fc9f967517fcd96e2e93e41acb5f.png

Woman sprays Bear with Thai Chili powder:

image.png.33f90e454c5b12c845379858e8fddcd3.png

And this is why you one won't be able to get good Thai food in California, in the future...

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

What's this about "foreigners"? It seems you are writing this as if the incident occurred in Thailand... you might want to re-read the article.