Restaurants taking the biscuit, tax now per person charge !

DonniePeverley

I got a bit miffed with my local to go place here in Bangkok, when they suddenly started to add VAT on their meals. Fine i let it go and continued to go there. 

Then tourism started to increase a bit more, and they added in a 10% service charge. 

Now the cheeky sausages, and my final straw, is they have added a 200 Baht per person charge !!! 

Absolutely ridiculously taking the biscuit with the per person charge, which i have only ever seen a few times in very high end restaurants in America. 

This americanisation of 'hidden charges' needs to be addressed. Or is Thailand now just purely on the lowdown for tourists and locals can go shove it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

my final straw, is they have added a 200 Baht per person charge !!! 

So a 100 baht meal is now + 10% service + 7% VAT, and an additional 200 baht, so coming to around 320 baht total?

with promptpay and delivery apps the revenue department knows when the yearly sales exceeds 1.8m baht then you are forced to register and charge the vat. The 10% service charge is probably added to cover inflation and addtional staff to take care of the accounting that needs to be very accurate once you register for vat.
if you want to keep your local eateries that are not yet overtaxed pay cash and use only in house delivery if available.