The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

Its a sad sad day for Rotheham and all our supporters where ever they may be!!!!!

Totally agree with you marsh bags, the lower you are the more you get punished.

Anyone that knows the area knows that don valley is only 6 miles from the center of Rotherham, so its not like weve moved 85 miles up the motorway like another club did. Lets see what happens friday and lets hope its not RIP Rotherham United. :o

Bad luck for your lads,thaimiller.Its true,the lower the team then the worse the punishment.You could never imagine a top Premiership side having this sort of punishment dished out.

Bournemouth have their fate decided today.....could well be a deduction of around 20 points.

So if youve got Luton -30,Bournemouth say -20 and Rotherham -17 it makes a bit of a mockery of League 2.

One of the three teams likely to avoid relegation to the Conference.

Yep, once again the FL have done themselves proud !! No reason to suggest Bournemouth will be treated any different as well.

BBC Sport, Page last updated at 18:09 GMT, Thursday, 7 August 2008 19:09 UK

Bournemouth face 17-point penalty

Bournemouth will have to accept a 17 point deduction in order to play in League Two next season.

The Football League ruled that as the club has been unable to agree a Company Voluntary Arrangement they have not met their terms for exiting administration.

Bournemouth, who have had a previous spell in administration, must accept the penalty by noon on Friday.

And the League offer is also conditional on the club signing a waiver removing any right to appeal.

It had been feared that Bournemouth would be excluded unless they came up with improved financial guarantees.

However, in a statement explaining the penalty, the Football League said it was "prepared to exercise its absolute discretion under the 'exceptional circumstances' provisions of its insolvency policy."

The Cherries, who will start their season at home to Gillingham on Saturday subject to accepting the League's terms, are the second club to be handed a 17-point penalty in as many days.

The next part is important for " Thai Miller " as it is for me as a proud local lad.

Rotherham accepted a deal essentially the same as Bournemouth's, though theirs included an extra caveat that they must return to Rotherham within four years.

The club were forced to leave Millmoor, their home for more than 100 years, and play games at the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield from the start of 2008/09.

Unquote

Just to reitterate my previous observations, <deleted> are the so called F.A authorities hoping to achieve by these sort of descrimating penalties on the lower league and it,s clubs.

Rather than enforce such unfair conditions and penalties, surely it is their job to assist them and give guidance, support and understanding wherever blatant negligence is not apparent, long before it reaches this stage

These people who govern the game, are not fit to oversee a game of marbles in the infant school, then again, perhaps that,s where they deserve to be.

As an after thought, it would be interesting to know how much these individuals take in the way of salaries and benefits ect. ect. of which all supporters of all the clubs contribute, while kicking the biggest contributors in the teeth ( collectively of course ) and handing such unjust punishments to those who do not have the power to fight back, both in financial and status terms, within the league.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Yep, once again the FL have done themselves proud !! No reason to suggest Bournemouth will be treated any different as well.

BBC Sport, Page last updated at 18:09 GMT, Thursday, 7 August 2008 19:09 UK

Bournemouth face 17-point penalty

These people who govern the game, are not fit to oversee a game of marbles in the infant school, then again, perhaps that,s where they deserve to be..

I think we should be eternally grateful that the FA doesnt oversee the Chang Brewery !

Just to reitterate my previous observations, <deleted> are the so called F.A authorities hoping to achieve by these sort of descrimating penalties on the lower league and it,s clubs.

Rather than enforce such unfair conditions and penalties, surely it is their job to assist them and give guidance, support and understanding wherever blatant negligence is not apparent, long before it reaches this stage

These people who govern the game, are not fit to oversee a game of marbles in the infant school, then again, perhaps that,s where they deserve to be.

As an after thought, it would be interesting to know how much these individuals take in the way of salaries and benefits ect. ect. of which all supporters of all the clubs contribute, while kicking the biggest contributors in the teeth ( collectively of course ) and handing such unjust punishments to those who do not have the power to fight back, both in financial and status terms, within the league.

Also having to waiver the right of appeal smacks of something that happens in North Korean rules & regulations :o

As a Forest fan and it all starting off again today (tomorrow for forest), I am getting geared up for the season debate on this lively thread.

However, now Forest are back in the Championship, are we still in this 'lower league' thread - I think we are :o

Saw some debate about Bournemouth here - I was working down there last time they had their money problems - 1996 wasn't it???. We went along to a couple of matches and put some money into the collection - hope they are OK this time. I have not been following all the football news, but it looks bad for Luton as well. I worked there in 1998, just a coincidence it the places I worked???

Seriously though, the Luton situation is pretty dire from what I read a week ago.

Anyway, Forest tomorrow against Reading - hard first game - a draw would be a nice result.

Edited by dsfbrit

Are you watching Mr Toad ??? :D

That's 3 of us on the TV thread preparing for the relentless promotion charge to the promised land of the premiership !!!!

Common Colin & Co !!! The tricky trees are back :o

That's 3 of us on the TV thread preparing for the relentless promotion charge to the promised land of the premiership !!!!

I even think there may be so Derby fans lurking as well Chavy. :D

Hope you guys have a good season, be nice to see Forest do well, considering their great tradition.

Hope you guys have a good season, be nice to see Forest do well, considering their great tradition.

Distant memory mate :D & even that's in black & white nowdays.

We're live on TV back in the UK, I wonder if Supersport might show it ? They were showing Championship games last season.....admit it was Friday's though.

Distant memory mate :D & even that's in black & white nowdays.

We're live on TV back in the UK, I wonder if Supersport might show it ? They were showing Championship games last season.....admit it was Friday's though.

Chavy, there are some games on Supersport today. I can't remeber wich ones now, but I was in The Crossbar last night, and the owner said he would be showing Championship games tonight. I've got a feeling your lot are on today.

Forest are playing Sunday if thats who you mean. Love to watch it somewhere.

By the way, has anyone got one of those packages offered by the the clubs that let you listen to the games live on the internet? They are about 4 pounds a month. I keep getting adverts sent to me, but dont know if its any good.

By the way, has anyone got one of those packages offered by the the clubs that let you listen to the games live on the internet? They are about 4 pounds a month. I keep getting adverts sent to me, but dont know if its any good.

You should be able to watch Forest, they are televsed on Supersports 3, so any bar with South African channels should be able to meet your requirements.

Bangkok for example - The Crossbar, Soi 8, Robin Hood, The Office, Bradmans Sports Bar (Downunder 23), Gullivers, Londoner etc should all be places that will have it.

What about us in the sticks :( The local cable company is usually "pot luck".

:o:D:D:D Nice to see Direby taking up where they left off last season !!! Keep up the good work Jewel.

Chavy, hop in your car and I'll meet you in town later. It's only a few hours journey. :D

You should be able to watch Forest, they are televsed on Supersports 3, so any bar with South African channels should be able to meet your requirements.

Bangkok for example - The Crossbar, Soi 8, Robin Hood, The Office, Bradmans Sports Bar (Downunder 23), Gullivers, Londoner etc should all be places that will have it.

I am in Pattaya. Still I could check this out for the future.

The first game kicks off in about an hour so will just check out the 'live' scores during the match.

I wonder if we can we get Supersports 3 in Thailand - in Pattaya - 'legally'.

I actually have a 10 foot rotating satellite dish in my garden which stopped working about a year ago and as I never used it - I have not bothered getting it fixed. I suspect I could get it on there if it were working.

The trouble with the dish I could not subscribe to any of the channels, so it was useless. Well unless you want to watch a load of Indian, Arabic channels that is...

Mind you - hardly worth the effort getting it fixed, as I will be able to watch them in the Premier league next season :o

Come on U reds...

BTW, I saw that Luton have -30 points - ridiculous!!

Edited by dsfbrit

The Mighty Dale weren't so Mighty yesterday :o

<deleted> MrB!

I'll take a point away at Grimsby anyday! Solid; and accoridng to Billy they were all over them.

Automatic for Dale this year........ :D

At least we are safe from going down for once.

God bless Sky, all their money and the Premiershit!

Edited by ProfessorFart

I think 0-0 against Reading is a reasonable result. I was worried that the recent Premiership side would embarrass Mr Calderwood and his Merry Men!!

As a Reading fan I am not dissapointed with the result :D

The year we got 106 points we started with a home defeat, I knew Forest would be a tough opener anyway.

I sort of watched it from here via my Son's webcam stuck in front of his TV. I could not hear a thing and the pic quality was lousy..still at least I saw it and I won't see that many this year more's the pity :o

Good start to the season for Macclesfield yesterday......Shrewsbury 4 Macclesfield 0 :D

Still,could be worse....Dagenham and Redbridge 6 Chester 0

And Luton,already on -30 points,lost !!

rotherham united -14 and counting. :D

Some more good news for you T.M. in the league cup derby.

The Sheffield / Rotherham Star, Wednesday, 13th August 2008

SHOCKER FOR SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

League two neighbours Rotherham pip them on cup tie penalties

By Bob Westerdale

Sheffield Wednesday were sensationally dumped out of the Carling Cup tonight by plucky, never-say-die Rotherham United.

The Millers were outplayed for long periods of the second half, went behind twice, levelled almost immediately both times, for 2-2, and then netted all their penalties in the shoot out to go through, as Wednesday missed two of their own.

It was an unbelievable night for manager Mark Robins, his team and noisy army of fans in the upper Leppings Lane tier.

But Owls supporters were hanging their heads after seeing chance after chance go begging - including three strikes of the bar.

Both teams had enjoyed a winning start to their respective league campaigns in The Championship and League 2, four days earlier.

But this was a derby cup tie, the first of at least 15 derbies in the locality this season.

And while the early stages of this tournament doesn't always set fire to the imagination, bragging rights on both sides of the M1 were at stake.

That was mirrored by a scintillating first 15 minutes.

Millers' powerful striker Ryan Taylor blazed a left footer over the bar withing seconds of the start.

Then Deon Burton's turn and shot was deflected for a corner.

Owls fans were on their feet when Leon Clarke headed home the cross; but the strike was disallowed for climbing.

Steve Watson then clipped the bar with a cheeky chip.

But Wednesday's lively left winger Etienne Esajas stole the show. His first effort, a stinging shot brought the best out of Andy Warrington.

But it was a dress rehearsal only.

Esajas replicated the move and this time the Dutch master walloped the ball into the far net for 1-0 after 13 mins.

Just as Owls' fans were digesting that, they were stunned by a complete lack of defensive concentration directly from the kick off.

Alex Rhodes equalised after Pablo Mills' cross had somehow evaded both Richard Wood and Peter Gilbert.

It filled Millers with a confidence to thread the ball around with some style. While Wednesday, with no-one operating wide right, had to rely on Esajas for creativity.

It was the same player who rattled the bar just berfore the interval with a wonderfully struck free kick.

Esajas swapped wings briefly after the interval, cutting inside the box to force a decent save from Warrington.

And Millers' hard-working front-runner Taylor threatened too, driving a right footer low past Lee Grant's near post.

That was followed by Richard Wood sending a speculative long-range effort wide at the Kop end.

But when the ineffectual Deon Burton was substituted on 65 mins, Wednesday's attacking options looked suddenly limited; a curiously conservative 4-1-4-1 system seemed to be deployed.

As time went on that developed into 4-3-3, with Jimmy Smith featuring more than he had earlier - and he also smashed the ball against the bar with six minutes left.

Wednesday turned up the heat and Esajas'was foiled again by a block in the box.

But Ian Sharps could have won it for Millers with a header at the end of normal time - which ended with some boos of frustration from the home fans.

Extra time: not particularly welcomed by either manager at this time of the season.

Substitute Rocky Lekah's cross almost broke the deadlock, it was headed on by another newcomer Luke Boden, just inches wide of Clarke's intended connection.

Rotherham retreated behind a defensive shell as Wednesday laid seige.

Yet Danny Harrison almost fashioned an unlikely winner in a rare Millers' raid.

And that was followed by Reid getting the better of Wood and forcing a Grant save.

Millers' Marc Joseph was red-carded for bringing down Clarke and the resulting free kick saw Esajas collect his second with a sizzling free kick.

But Reid squared the match at the death, leading to a penalty shoot out...in which the same man scored the decisive fifth for the Millers.

Evidence of Rotherham's fantastic team-spirit was then on show as the players enjoyed themselves on the Hillsborough pitch.

Wednesday: Grant, Spurr, Gilbert, Watson, Burton, Esajas, Smith, Beevers, Wood, O'Connor, Clarke.

Res: O'Donnell, Lunt, McAllister, Lekaj, Boden, McMenamin.

Millers: Warrington, Lynch, Harrison, Sharps, Fenton, Hudson, Joseph, Rhodes, Taylor, Reid, Mills.

Res: Cann, Tonge, Cummins, Holmes, Todd, Yates, Green.

Att: 16,298.

Unquote

A genuine Well Done to your team, T.M., you deserve a bit of good news after all the bad stuff of late. :D

I feel sure in our fans heart of hearts, along with myself of course, that your win is not begrudged and we all hope you continue in your present mode and mind set.

Your needs are far more important at the present time.

This will help you in your fight to reduce the unfair penalties the no brainers gave you, to climb above the relegation zone ( at least ) and if not within the play offs / promotion and give you a sound footing for the 2009/2010 season along with some much needed financial support.

P.S.

I was going to PM you with this, but think it is more deserved and informative for everyone here in the L.L. Thread.

Edited by marshbags

Yes,good result for Rotherham and also for another team that has suffered at the hands of the FA recently......Luton 2 Plymouth 0.

Other results that might be of interest....

Macclesfield 2 Blackpool 0 :D

Rochdale 0 Oldham 0 (Oldham win 4-1 on penalties) sorry,mr bj :o

Chester 2 Leeds 5

Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Reading 2

Swindon 2 QPR 3

Notts County 1 Doncaster 0

Crewe 2 Barnsley 0

Leicester 1 Stockport 0

Nottingham Forest v Morecambe (playing Wednesday night)

Good start to the season for Macclesfield yesterday......Shrewsbury 4 Macclesfield 0 :D

Still,could be worse....Dagenham and Redbridge 6 Chester 0

And Luton,already on -30 points,lost !!

rotherham united -14 and counting. :D

Some more good news for you T.M. in the league cup derby.

The Sheffield / Rotherham Star, Wednesday, 13th August 2008

SHOCKER FOR SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

League two neighbours Rotherham pip them on cup tie penalties

By Bob Westerdale

Sheffield Wednesday were sensationally dumped out of the Carling Cup tonight by plucky, never-say-die Rotherham United.

The Millers were outplayed for long periods of the second half, went behind twice, levelled almost immediately both times, for 2-2, and then netted all their penalties in the shoot out to go through, as Wednesday missed two of their own.

It was an unbelievable night for manager Mark Robins, his team and noisy army of fans in the upper Leppings Lane tier.

But Owls supporters were hanging their heads after seeing chance after chance go begging - including three strikes of the bar.

Both teams had enjoyed a winning start to their respective league campaigns in The Championship and League 2, four days earlier.

But this was a derby cup tie, the first of at least 15 derbies in the locality this season.

And while the early stages of this tournament doesn't always set fire to the imagination, bragging rights on both sides of the M1 were at stake.

That was mirrored by a scintillating first 15 minutes.

Millers' powerful striker Ryan Taylor blazed a left footer over the bar withing seconds of the start.

Then Deon Burton's turn and shot was deflected for a corner.

Owls fans were on their feet when Leon Clarke headed home the cross; but the strike was disallowed for climbing.

Steve Watson then clipped the bar with a cheeky chip.

But Wednesday's lively left winger Etienne Esajas stole the show. His first effort, a stinging shot brought the best out of Andy Warrington.

But it was a dress rehearsal only.

Esajas replicated the move and this time the Dutch master walloped the ball into the far net for 1-0 after 13 mins.

Just as Owls' fans were digesting that, they were stunned by a complete lack of defensive concentration directly from the kick off.

Alex Rhodes equalised after Pablo Mills' cross had somehow evaded both Richard Wood and Peter Gilbert.

It filled Millers with a confidence to thread the ball around with some style. While Wednesday, with no-one operating wide right, had to rely on Esajas for creativity.

It was the same player who rattled the bar just berfore the interval with a wonderfully struck free kick.

Esajas swapped wings briefly after the interval, cutting inside the box to force a decent save from Warrington.

And Millers' hard-working front-runner Taylor threatened too, driving a right footer low past Lee Grant's near post.

That was followed by Richard Wood sending a speculative long-range effort wide at the Kop end.

But when the ineffectual Deon Burton was substituted on 65 mins, Wednesday's attacking options looked suddenly limited; a curiously conservative 4-1-4-1 system seemed to be deployed.

As time went on that developed into 4-3-3, with Jimmy Smith featuring more than he had earlier - and he also smashed the ball against the bar with six minutes left.

Wednesday turned up the heat and Esajas'was foiled again by a block in the box.

But Ian Sharps could have won it for Millers with a header at the end of normal time - which ended with some boos of frustration from the home fans.

Extra time: not particularly welcomed by either manager at this time of the season.

Substitute Rocky Lekah's cross almost broke the deadlock, it was headed on by another newcomer Luke Boden, just inches wide of Clarke's intended connection.

Rotherham retreated behind a defensive shell as Wednesday laid seige.

Yet Danny Harrison almost fashioned an unlikely winner in a rare Millers' raid.

And that was followed by Reid getting the better of Wood and forcing a Grant save.

Millers' Marc Joseph was red-carded for bringing down Clarke and the resulting free kick saw Esajas collect his second with a sizzling free kick.

But Reid squared the match at the death, leading to a penalty shoot out...in which the same man scored the decisive fifth for the Millers.

Evidence of Rotherham's fantastic team-spirit was then on show as the players enjoyed themselves on the Hillsborough pitch.

Wednesday: Grant, Spurr, Gilbert, Watson, Burton, Esajas, Smith, Beevers, Wood, O'Connor, Clarke.

Res: O'Donnell, Lunt, McAllister, Lekaj, Boden, McMenamin.

Millers: Warrington, Lynch, Harrison, Sharps, Fenton, Hudson, Joseph, Rhodes, Taylor, Reid, Mills.

Res: Cann, Tonge, Cummins, Holmes, Todd, Yates, Green.

Att: 16,298.

Unquote

A genuine Well Done to your team, T.M., you deserve a bit of good news after all the bad stuff of late. :D

I feel sure in our fans heart of hearts, along with myself of course, that your win is not begrudged and we all hope you continue in your present mode and mind set.

Your needs are far more important at the present time.

This will help you in your fight to reduce the unfair penalties the no brainers gave you, to climb above the relegation zone ( at least ) and if not within the play offs / promotion and give you a sound footing for the 2009/2010 season along with some much needed financial support.

P.S.

I was going to PM you with this, but think it is more deserved and informative for everyone here in the L.L. Thread.

Cheers for that Marshbags, I was called from back home at 5am this morning off some very drunken and ecstatic friends who had been to the match. not the worst call i have ever had but could have done with it an hour or 2 later.

hopefully it will give the team a little boost in their fight for survival. Good result last night for Luton also, again lets hope it spurs them on to catch some ground up in the league also, not too much though :D .

ThaiMiller

'

Thanks everybody for not mentioning the "Trannies" grim night in Grimsby. :o

On the brightside Ken is that they do a mean cod n chips in Grimsby :D

1-1 against Reaing isn't the worst result considering where they came from & where we were last season. Let's hope we can get Morecambe out the way then stick on over the taffys in Swansea this weekend !!

quote]

1-1 against Reaing isn't the worst result considering where they came from & where we were last season. Let's hope we can get Morecambe out the way then stick on over the taffys in Swansea this weekend !!

Not a bad result for Forest,chavy,but I think youll find they kept a clean sheet 0-0 :o

Good start for us with a 3-1 home win over Tranmere, with the manager having us play 'sexy' football. We also held our own against QPR in the cup last night, eventually losing 3-2.

The early signs are promising for us and should our players remain injury free then we could well challenge for promotion this season.