The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

Sheff Utd, with just three games to go are on the brink of promotion and our leading goal scorer gets locked up for 5 years after being found guilty of rape.

OMG, why?

Our city rivals must be p*ssing themselves with laughter, only being 4 points behind.

I hope they're not p*ssing themselves with laughter. This is tragic. An appeal is being considered.

I don't know why, in an age of presumed gender equality, young women are seen as less responsible for their sexual behaviour than young men. The girl is always seen as the victim, but in this case, as the judge said, there was no force involved. I'm not a lawyer, but can't help having a view. In agreeing to go with them to the hotel, was she not a contibutor to the outcome? Should she get 5 years too?

As an owls supporter I find this a very sad situation indeed.and he has been found guilty of a very serious offence.

Reading up on it while the trail was ongoing, I found the taking advantage of the woman while she was out of her mind in drink inexcusable.

He was found guilty and now must reflect on the reasons why.

Why oh why when these players have so much adoration and all that goes with it, do they have to take advantage of a defenceless young lady ?

If this young lady had been your daughter, I feel sure you would not be posting such flippant remarks or questioning the outcome.

Put your hand on your heart gentlemen and tell me, would you have done the same ?????

I,d like to think not and you would not have taken advantage of her, I,d like to believe you,d have protected and watched out for her.

I cannot understand for the life of me where you are coming from and as for trivilising the offence and referring to people pissing themselves <deleted>

A self inflicted own goal by this person is now going to come back on those who have supported him, along with the club and everyone associated with it.

When the initial reactions referred to and possible effects on his playing ability, he will be seen for what he is and no one will be pissing themselves, rather they will look at this for what it is and the serious nature of what took place.

Me I am disgusted with the morality of the footballer / celebrities and so called role models who think they can do what they want on a daily basis while those who look up to them, get punishment big time when breaking the law.

This woman was taken advantage of and the jurors rightly so, based on the evidence presented, found him guilty of rape.

This is not about me and my fellow owls supporters pissing themselves, it,s about this low life and what he did.

Do not use us to trivalise it at our expense.

marshbags annoyed.gif

P.SD.

You should not require god to tell you why he got FIVE years either.huh.png

Edited by marshbags

You're quite right Marshbags.

I apologise for the previous remarks, there are no winners in this tragedy, everyone is a loser. Total devastation for all the families involved.

What a way to end a career.

I have two young daughters and can appreciate the hurt from this side also, what a mess.

I was making the OMG comment as a Sheff, Utd supporter seeing ( what was proving to be ) our golden boy go down for 5 years for rape.

Not making a judgement on why he was sent down..........

Just a great feeling of dissappointment and sadness........

No offence to you, or god, intended.

The law seems clear and it's no place of mine to question the verdict.

“It is a myth that being vulnerable through alcohol consumption means that a victim is somehow responsible for being raped. The law is clear: being vulnerable through drink or drugs does not imply consent." (Judge's comments)

I still think the law implies unequal responsibility and, regardless of the fairness or otherwise of this, it clashes with the notion of gender equality. Equal rights = equal responsibility. (I have grown-up daughters, too.)

But this is the Lower League forum, not the Jurisprudence forum, so I'll shut up now.

Sorry about the loss to Bury, although Wednesday are one up against Carlisle.

Sheff U are one down to MK Dons and half time.

I fear it's all going t*ts up.

( sure Marshbags is a happy chap at the moment )

It looks like another nail in Rochdale's coffin.

Playoffs for Arbroath.....oh no.....that means even more pies!! clap2.gif

You can't beat the Holland Meat and Potato pies, peas and gravy that they dish up at Spotland. It will be a big loss to the visiting Div 1 sides and a welcome back for the Div 2 fans. tongue.png

It looks like another nail in Rochdale's coffin.

Playoffs for Arbroath.....oh no.....that means even more pies!! clap2.gif

You can't beat the Holland Meat and Potato pies, peas and gravy that they dish up at Spotland. It will be a big loss to the visiting Div 1 sides and a welcome back for the Div 2 fans. tongue.png

I'm depressed mrboj.....only a visit to my youth can salvage anything from this season.

The pies had better be as good as I remember....oh and I'm taking my coat....must be old age setting in! tongue.png

Its wide open now, please pass me a valium.

For me I liken this situation to the all Shefield semi final.

I was really proud of the fact that we both got to this stage and all our wonderful city got behind us with no bitterness, but both sets of supporters wanting to come out on top.

Sadly one of us had to loose it but I reckon the teams, the fans and Sheffield did us both proud on the day..

Now we have a similar situation and only one of us can get the other automatic place to promotion.

If we are playing each other in the championship next season, I will be genuinely pleased, as will the city of Sheffield, should it happen.

The play offs in the latter stages are about getting the rub of the green and that bit of luck that possibly / usually determines the winners.

Thanks for your thoughts and having the courage to post them and clarify your initial comments earlier.

Back home both sets of supporters have come out to voice their disapproval as I thought they would and as a Sheffielder I am heartened by it.

In reference to the posters comment on who deserves to get the automatic promotion spot, whoever finishes in second place over the season deserves it, as will be the case in Manchester with the PL title.

If and so long as both of us get promoted I would take either scenario at this stage and then the banter and rivalry can continue next season with all to play for again.

Exciting times with plenty of bum tightening in the run up to and during the next game for both sides of the city.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

P.S.

While I,m away I tend to be less intense with the rivalry, unlike when i,m home of course. whistling.gif

Edited by marshbags

County stumbled badly against Bury at Meadow Lane. Much picking at the scabs on the fan site. It's amazing how the manager ever got into the business when all the fans know so much better than him - who to pick, whom to substitute, etc.

It's wide open now for the 6th spot. Stevenage, County and Carlisle are all in with a chance, though it's a token affair. The two Sheffield sides will go up, I'm sure, despite United being a bit off-balance at the moment.

"Notts" or "County"? Someone did a survey not so long ago and found that out-of-towners were more likely to say "County" and Nottingham folk "Notts", but I'm sure it was "County" when I was a boy living in Nottingham (haven't lived there for nearly 60 years). My memory must be clouded though. In "The Match" (1959) Allan Sillitoe, a Nottingham native, only calls them "Notts". Certainly, "Notts" seems to be preferred now.

So....continuing to fill in for the "we're too good to post on this thread" team....I watched them in action tonight against Leicester.

Frankly they played well....definitely better than their northern opponents and deserved the win.

They might rue the missed opportunity at the end though....and they need Soiuthampton to fall at home to Coventry who have already been relegated.

Its a tall order but the Spam are still in with a shout...w00t.gif

Not one comment from them all season long....tw stoneylad singher....ok one from imola before he realised his mistake....

Can't see the Saints blowing the Coventry game though Smokie, the Spammers are gonna have to do it the hard way through the play-offs IMHO and since two of the 3 games you need to win to get up are away ...you could have a good shout, looks very much like you will be taking on Cardiff or Boro, both are teams you could murder on a good day at the office, that will leave you with either Blackpool or Brum in the final, on paper it's there for the taking...so good luck to you, you are going into it on a reasonable run if you despatch Hull on Saturday who have absolutley nothing to play for.

Can't see the Saints blowing the Coventry game though Smokie, the Spammers are gonna have to do it the hard way through the play-offs IMHO and since two of the 3 games you need to win to get up are away ...you could have a good shout, looks very much like you will be taking on Cardiff or Boro, both are teams you could murder on a good day at the office, that will leave you with either Blackpool or Brum in the final, on paper it's there for the taking...so good luck to you, you are going into it on a reasonable run if you despatch Hull on Saturday who have absolutley nothing to play for.

No no TP...I'm a yid...I'm just enjoying watching 'em suffer. biggrin.png

You're right....Coventry will be crushed and fingernails bitten to the bone. I love it!

West Ham is my second team, after Notts.

I was impressed recently to find a fellow Hammers supporter among one of the Thai PE teachers at my school.

I didn't think they had any Thai supporters. Well, they've got one anyway. smile.png

West Ham is my second team, after Notts.

I was impressed recently to find a fellow Hammers supporter among one of the Thai PE teachers at my school.

I didn't think they had any Thai supporters. Well, they've got one anyway. smile.png

Well...I think they needed to improve their goal difference to put a but of pressure on Southampton at the weekend.

As I said its out of their hands but they need to win by three clear goals and hope Coventry do 'em a favour!

Wycombe 3 - Notts County 4

Goals by Notts in the 89th and 90th minutes broke the Wanderers' hearts and sent them packing from League 1.

They also served to keep County in the race for the playoffs, though only just. Stevenage are looking good for sixth spot, but Notts and Carlisle are still in with a chance.

Wycombe 3 - Notts County 4

Goals by Notts in the 89th and 90th minutes broke the Wanderers' hearts and sent them packing from League 1.

They also served to keep County in the race for the playoffs, though only just. Stevenage are looking good for sixth spot, but Notts and Carlisle are still in with a chance.

Macclesfield Town 0 Burton Albion 2

Macc Town relegated from the Football League after 15 years crying.gif ......in November they were just 1 point off the play offs !

Then 22 matches without a win.......sold their best players without adequate replacements.....big injury list.....sacked the manager,Gary Simpson with 10 games to go then brought back Brian Horton who had previously been sacked for not winning any of his previous 12 games in charge......not surprisingly Macc have only picked up only 2 points in 9 games since his return....difficult to see them getting back into the League as they have very small support.....look at bigger clubs like Luton,York,Grimsby,Mansfield,Wrexham,Stockport,Darlington etc.

THE END

Macc Town relegated from the Football League after 15 years crying.gif ......in November they were just 1 point off the play offs !

Then 22 matches without a win.......sold their best players without adequate replacements.....big injury list.....sacked the manager,Gary Simpson with 10 games to go then brought back Brian Horton who had previously been sacked for not winning any of his previous 12 games in charge......not surprisingly Macc have only picked up only 2 points in 9 games since his return....difficult to see them getting back into the League as they have very small support.....look at bigger clubs like Luton,York,Grimsby,Mansfield,Wrexham,Stockport,Darlington etc.

THE END

Sorry to see the Silkmen go.

Maybe they'll rise phoenix-like from the ashes and will be back in the League before long.

Exeter finally relegated. Last game up Shefield utd at home. Odds on us giving them a pasting? slim , but actually we've been getting some reasonable results recently, little to late , but never mind. Good thing, our 18's are in the national cup final!!! and 6 of them have been given full time contracts, so the future looks bright-- - - ish

Exeter finally relegated. Last game up Shefield utd at home. Odds on us giving them a pasting? slim , but actually we've been getting some reasonable results recently, little to late , but never mind. Good thing, our 18's are in the national cup final!!! and 6 of them have been given full time contracts, so the future looks bright-- - - ish

I do like a man who can see a half-full glass .......................................

THE END

Commiserations macca , still remember the day exeter went down, travelled down from london and couldnt get into the ground,I was dumbstruck speechless for a couple of days, seemed the world had caved in, schoolboy memories crushed ect ect. it was us or swansea down, we lost and Swansea, well what can u say Barring <deleted>. Apart from the sacking of the manager and us having TOTALLY crap polish goalkeper ure season sounds very similar to exeter's. Dont want to add to youre wow's but the conference is a absolute bitch of a league to get out, But I wish you well. And on the positive, admission costs are loads lower, and barring scummy luton fans , it's a real friendly division.

^ Don't worry Soihok, the Blades will walk the play-offs if that's the way it has to be.

If they are sensible the manager will be preparing them for it already.

It's now obviously outta their hands, but I have my fingers crossed for you.