Learner Drivers,

This cropped up in another thread and I reckon it's worth its own discussion since we all have to learn to drive sometime :o

Since there does not appear to be a 'provisional' or 'learners permit' I'm assuming that you can just jump in a vehicle and drive it (accompanied by a licence holder I suppose) or are you not actually allowed on the road until you've passed the (totally pointless) test?

Is there a local equivalent of 'L' plates or do we just have to guess who the inexperienced drivers are?

Edited by Crossy

I have taught my GF her father and her sister to drive on roads and in car parks, as far as I know there is no L plate system but there is a Sticker often seen on cars, A phrase in Thai proclaims the driver is 'A New Driver'

Once when driving our old pick up truck we were stopped by quite a nice policeman who asked for my licence which I did not have as it was in the other car. He then walked round to the passenger side and inspected my GFs driving licence which seemed to satisfy him and we were soon on our way, no fine no nothing so maybe that can tell us something about learners driving on the road without a provisional licence as well.

.... since we all have to learn to drive sometime :D

Since when did Thais ever bother to learn to drive ?

My missus can manipulate a vehicle from one place to another fairly well but she cannot "drive" to save her life.

Spacial awareness, judgement of speed, distance and the like ? :o

Put water / gas in the car

Check tyres / oil :D

Know how anything works ? :D

• 3 weeks later...

ok hope you dont mind me posting on here since its related rather than starting a new topic, I currently hold a UK Provisional License, we ill be coming over to live in dec 08, and i doubt i would have passed my test here in the uk before (hope i do but just incase) I dont want to risk anyone driving on my own if its illegal... but just wondered how would i get my thai license if i dont yet have my full uk license?

any ideas? what would be the rules for this if i did want to drive ...or is it just a case of like mentioned, i have to have say my partner (full license holder) with me

thanks

ok hope you dont mind me posting on here since its related rather than starting a new topic, I currently hold a UK Provisional License, we ill be coming over to live in dec 08, and i doubt i would have passed my test here in the uk before (hope i do but just incase) I dont want to risk anyone driving on my own if its illegal... but just wondered how would i get my thai license if i dont yet have my full uk license?

Without a full licence you will be unable to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) which you need to be allowed to drive here :o

BUT

If you have a non-immigrant visa of any class (a tourist visa will NOT do) then you can take the Thai driving test and get a 1 year licence that will allow you to drive unccompanied, after 1 year you swap this for a 5 year 'full' licence (no further test required). If you're ready for the UK test then I suggest that you're already a far better driver than many Thais :D

If at all possible pass your UK test, with a UK photocard licence you can avoid the Thai test. NOTE Whilst this is not the official stance (you're supposed to have an IDP as well), it does seem to be followed at the main LTA office (Chatuchak).

Edited by Crossy