Restaurants In Ban Chang / Rayong

PattayaParent

Went down to Phala Peir today. Opened again and being run by a Thai guy and a couple of family members by the look of it.

99% Thai menu but gave up when the first three dishes asked for were Mai Mee !!!

Seems there will be a European trained chef starting beginning of next month.

Hope it gets better. Seems like a nice guy, but not sure they can appeal to the expats unless things get better on the 'what have you actually got today side of things'

I didn't realise it had changed hands. Went there a couple of nights ago for their pork burger but got the same Mai Mee answer. Had an Indian style curry instead but it was just a Thai yellow curry. Hope it does get better as it's a nice place to eat right by the sea.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi this is Tom, the Thai guy from the Phala Pier Cafe. I'm sorry you were disappointed down at our Cafe...we had only been open a couple of days and were still sorting things out. We have a new menu now with everything on it available [emoji6]. It's still a mostly Thai menu but we do have some western dishes (although we don't offer a pork burger, just a classic beef burger) as well as some really tasty cocktails! We really hope you will come by again for another try! Thanks!

Thanks, I did come again a day or two ago and tried the beef burger. Unfortunately it did not impress, overcooked and very dry, nowhere near as good as the juicy pork burger that was previously available. The old owners also served it with small salad which made it a far more enjoyable dish.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new little bar/restaurant opened very recently, called Phala Beach Cafe, if you turn left along the beach road at the mini roundabout, over the bridge and it is about 100m along on the right (beach side) about 100m before the Boardwalk beach club and the Crossroads bar.

I have not tried it yet but they have a blackboard out front steak and chips, all day breakfast, coffee, beer etc. seems to be a gathering of local expats there most afternoons/early evenings.

I have been there several times. The fish and chips @ 85 bath are excellent. Bottle of Chang at 45 bath etc. Very nice place and friendly people. They are determined to be successful and care a lot about how customers feel. For me personally, its much more than having a quick meal, these people have become family in a country where i don't have family.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

^Sad to see. First the footbridge gone, and then the whole building 3 weeks later.

Hope Franz and co find another location for their business very soon. Been a regular ever since their first venture at Phala a few years ago.

He told me a couple of weeks ago that he was already in negotiations for another venue. Moving was planned so recent events will just speed up the process I suppose, which is good in a way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nearly all do.

As you might imagine standards and prices vary over the restaurants. I will be in the area as well but I really don't want to suggest anywhere as you never know what you'll get. None are bad, just that some are better.

Still can't find the '' The Last Villa'' ( sounds like a low budget spaghetti western) on Payun Road. Bella Vista ?

Nearly all do.

As you might imagine standards and prices vary over the restaurants. I will be in the area as well but I really don't want to suggest anywhere as you never know what you'll get. None are bad, just that some are better.

Still can't find the '' The Last Villa'' ( sounds like a low budget spaghetti western) on Payun Road. Bella Vista ?

Hahahah yeah appreciate that ? Not to worry im not a moaner just want something that semi represents a Christmas spread . Maybe something that's not on the strip ? Looking forward to getting back there actually I really like ban Chang

Nearly all do.

Hahahah yeah appreciate that ? Not to worry im not a moaner just want something that semi represents a Christmas spread . Maybe something that's not on the strip ? Looking forward to getting back there actually I really like ban Chang

The Camel used to do a very good Christmas lunch but I don't know what it's like these days. If you don't want to go on the Strip and have transport, try the Valley View. It's 10+ kilos up the road north out of Banchang, turn right just past St Andrews School and the Green Valley Golf Course. We went there last year and quite enjoyed it.

It's not open yet (as of this lunchtime).

To find it you go all the way down the road from Banchang towards Payun Beach. When you reach the east-west Phala-Nam Rin road, cross straight over towards the beach. Just as the road descends steeply to the beach it's the last bungalow on the right.

The property has a terrace with a new roof, which they were still working on today. The only current evidence of its new existence is a rustic scrawl on the beach-facing base of the terrace. I guess it won't be long before they're up and running.

• Like 1

Nearly all do.

The Camel used to do a very good Christmas lunch but I don't know what it's like these days. If you don't want to go on the Strip and have transport, try the Valley View. It's 10+ kilos up the road north out of Banchang, turn right just past St Andrews School and the Green Valley Golf Course. We went there last year and quite enjoyed it.

I haven't been to Valley view for over a year but it was the best English food in the area.coffee1.gif

Nearly all do.

That sounds perfect thank you ! Do you know if I'd have to book early ?

Thanks guys i called the resturant and the owner said they are closed christmas day , seemed a very nice guy so i will be going there at some point . As Huangnon said the cost of turkey is super high so thats why hes not bothering this year ! be looking for somewhere else if you have any ideas?

cheers

• 2 months later...

A few evenings back, we went to the Phla beach cafe on the road between Phla and Phayun. Only a small place and we were directed to go down a snicket at the side, which led us to their new dinning area around a swimming pool next to the beach. I was quite amazed,as it is a very nice setting. The lady owner was very nice and helpful. The food was Aroi and well presented, all at a reasonable price, with the added bonus if you have children, the chips were chips and not some grizzle French fries. Highly recommended.

It's time to vent about "The Boardwalk" on Phala beach.

Never had a meal there and the wife (Thai) suggested the romantic location on the beach for a Valentine's night dinner with another couple. She said her friend said the food was good.

Arrived just after 7PM Sunday night Valentine's Day. Not too many people and most were Thai. Sat at a table for 4 and the wait staff was there to present the menus both drink and food. We ordered drinks and then the 2 ladies ordered their Thai food. Then came the shock when my friend and I tried to order our western style food. When requesting the pork steak dinner the man said "no have". When requesting the beef stroganoff, "no have", when requesting the sea bass dinner? You guessed it,,,,"no have". So my boiling point has now broke. I went ballistic and my wife of course got p/d at me. The man now admitted that the "chef" was not there so they could not cook most of the menu items. We did settle for their Angus beef burger.Apparently it takes no chef to cook a burger just patience. Several beers later and about 1 hour and 10 minutes the burgers finally arrived . Wife and her friend already finished their several dishes of food.

The manager was not there to complain to. My first meal at The Boardwalk was not pleasant to say the least. I will definitely say something to them on my next visit there but I am sure as this is Phala and Thailand I will get the usual excuses.

Vent finished