New Fear For Brits Caught In Thailand..

Boater

DESPERATE British tourists were still trying to get out of Thailand last night as violence flared in the strife-torn country. </H2>About 100,000 people, including more than 5,000 Brits, have been stranded by protests closing both airports in the capital Bangkok.

Some flights are leaving from a former US air force base at U-Tapao, 90 miles away — but not to Britain.

There were chaotic scenes at the base on Saturday, with 20,000 people turning up for 4,000 available seats.

Troops have tried to restore order.

Explosions yesterday hit the Prime Minister's compound in Bangkok — held by anti-government protesters — an anti-government TV station and a road near the main airport.

At least 51 people were reported injured.

Tension rose as pro-government supporters rallied and demanded their rivals leave the airports.

SNN01112GA-280_666609a.jpg Threat ... airport rebel in Thailand

Edited by Boater

ahhh the Sun, a good comic. It also explains the alarmist tone.

Yes indeed . I'm unable to decide which is the saddest situation

-the problems here in Thailand or being reminded that so many people in the UK

still rely on this publication for their information :o

Travel Insurance companies will NOT COVER them if they travel here ...

Is it not against the law?

One has the right to decide where he wants to spend his holiday.

(Personally I don't recommend travelling to Thailand but we have the right to have the choice).

travel insurance firms have the right to refuse cover,as you have the right to decide where you travel too.

Travel Insurance companies will NOT COVER them if they travel here ...

Is it not against the law?

One has the right to decide where he wants to spend his holiday.

(Personally I don't recommend travelling to Thailand but we have the right to have the choice).

LOL

So .. you aren't in Thailand ... and you wouldn't suggest coming here ..... yet ...

but the most read newspaper in the UK.... and alot of Thailands would be tourists will be reading :o

and a lot of them are the kind of tourists Thailand can do without.

Really ??

You tell that to thousands of Isaan Families & i'm sure they'll say otherwise..

I just received the news from my travel agent in Perth that my trip to Phuket is cancelled. There was apparently one flight to Phuket from Perth, however Thai Airways could not garantee the return flight. My travel insurance company advsied that they will not cover me for any loss on cancellation fees, however they ever so graciously offered to refund my insurance premium :o

Edited by bluemanna

but the most read newspaper in the UK.... and alot of Thailands would be tourists will be reading :o

and a lot of them are the kind of tourists Thailand can do without.

The Sun is a traditional Tory newspaper. Why wouldn't they want to have good Maggie supporting blue bloods in Thailand?

I like the photo though, implying that the protesters are balaclavad terrorists a la the IRA.

I dont read it never utter rubbish

I can claim that I've never read it. :D Something less than fast food for the brain is the impression I got by once flipping through its pages. That it should be have the largest circulation out of any "newspapers" is just another of those embarrassments that some Brits have to bear I'm afraid.

Wow another professor of the British character .

a professor from Camulodunum which is the old roman name for Colchester :o:D .... or he ment Cambodia but just could not spell correctly, but i think it was the first as he refers to thailand as Siam .....

DESPERATE British tourists were still trying to get out of Thailand last night as violence flared in the strife-torn country.

boy, that's stretching it a bit, isn't it? i mean, it's not like thailand is nigeria or somalia or the like...

The one that made me laugh was last night on the BBC were they were inverviewing a couple in their room of an up market hotel obviously in BKK saying they were being held hostage in Thailand, if that was being held hostage...where can I sign up to be held hostage..

a professor from Camulodunum which is the old roman name for Colchester :o:D .... or he ment Cambodia but just could not spell correctly, but i think it was the first as he refers to thailand as Siam .....

All good points. You are the type who obviously knows your history so, therefore, there's no point in telling you that the name Thailand is both a misnomer and not a little racist. So Siam it is for this purpose. Despite which, your silliness about not being able to spell Cambodia although being able to spell the name Camulodunum seems a little ironic to say the least. Still at least you've learned something today by Googling the word Camulodunum.

but the most read newspaper in the UK.... and alot of Thailands would be tourists will be reading :D

If you never read it how do you know it is utter rubbish ? Ah I see go by the hearsay of others. So someone has never told you utter rubbish ? Maybe then it was that they told you the Sun was utter rubbish.

but the most read newspaper in the UK.... and alot of Thailands would be tourists will be reading :D

I can claim that I've never read it. :D Something less than fast food for the brain is the impression I got by once flipping through its pages. That it should be have the largest circulation out of any "newspapers" is just another of those embarrassments that some Brits have to bear I'm afraid.

I'm not sure which one of these posts made me laugh the most.....you blokes should sell some sort of comedy act....perhaps you could perform at thai airports, at least there you will have a captive audiance. :o

All good points. You are the type who obviously knows your history so, therefore, there's no point in telling you that the name Thailand is both a misnomer and not a little racist. So Siam it is for this purpose. Despite which, your silliness about not being able to spell Cambodia although being able to spell the name Camulodunum seems a little ironic to say the least. Still at least you've learned something today by Googling the word Camulodunum.

Glad you found the humour in my post :D

but this is a first for me

Thailand is both a misnomer and not a little racist

can you enlighten please

Well I have read it on several occasions as I also have just about all mainstream British newspapers so I feel qualified, if that could be construed as the correct term, to comment regarding it's content.

"Fast food for the brain" and "adult's comic" are descriptions that scratch the surface but don't actually come close to the truth. It can be said that the Sun is one of the few newspapers where it's use as toilet paper actually improves the editorial content.

So back to the topic. I think it will take a lot more than this current debacle to stem the tide of British, and other nationalities, holidaying in Thailand. Tripling the price of the beer would make the airport closure pale into insignificance and have most of the Brits scurrying back to Benidorm although for maximum effect in addition the bar fines in NEP would have to skyrocket.

but this is a first for me
Thailand is both a misnomer and not a little racist

can you enlighten please

Well it's fine if you live in Thailand , but are considered "mai tai" (lit) = not Thai in the land of the Tai or "free". Like Muslim, Khmer or Karen, for instance. To his credit, and one of the reasons that I admire to him to an extent, is that HM King has attempted to include those hill tribes who were considered to be "mai tai" by most Thai people.

"Fast food for the brain" and "adult's comic" are descriptions that scratch the surface but don't actually come close to the truth. It can be said that the Sun is one of the few newspapers where it's use as toilet paper actually improves the editorial content

I see, so using something as toilet paper to wipe your arse (or should that be "ass") isn't only scratching the surface. :o