Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

This thread is 5 years old. Would have been better starting a new one.

I don't see why this should be the case.

It is a good few months since I've been, but the fish and chips at "Yours" pub on Soi Khaotalo (near the new condo) was always spot on, and at 130 baht a good buy.

So in the 5 years I have been away, there's been a total wipeout on Pattaya chippies? Say it isn't so!

its not so

jolly friar is still as good as ever

i went last friday

http://www.jollyfriarpattaya.com/

I was just bumping the thread and posted because I already had a skinful of beer and fancied some fish and chips to go. The only one that seemed to be still open (it was after 11PM) was the Jolly Friar and I was impressed by the speed the order was filled which was only marginally longer than it took me to eat it when I got home (20 minute drive). Tasty but not awesomely so and the chunky chips had the sweetness from local potatoes that I don't care for.

7 out of 10

+ fast service and reasonable price, fish was flaky and tasty

- chewy batter (not crisp) and 'sweet' chips

Oh yes, the ketchup they serve with takeaways is pretty vile but nice little bags of salt and vinegar.

Golden Friar, Jomtien- F & C @ 100 baht.

I'll second that. It's good value and good quality (though of course at that price it is local fish).

Another place that does good (local) F&C is Cafe Patini on Friday on Soi Buakow. 149B with peas (not mushy).

Both are much better value than the Jolly Friar as far as I'm concerned.

Golden Friar, Jomtien- F & C @ 100 baht.

I'll second that. It's good value and good quality (though of course at that price it is local fish).

Another place that does good (local) F&C is Cafe Patini on Friday on Soi Buakow. 149B with peas (not mushy).

Both are much better value than the Jolly Friar as far as I'm concerned.

value issues aside, imho jolly friar is much better quality than golden friar

How do the Russians do fish and chips?

I dont know how they "do" it but I often see them in the Golden Friar in Jomtien.

I was really hoping to learn what secret ingredients they Putin it ... coffee1.gif

Doubt you'll have anyone russian to tell you.

Last ally on the right heading towards beach rarely have cod it seems

then it was also the jolly friar before then?

It was. At that time I think that the Jolly Friars at Jomtien and Soi Lengkee were both owned by the same person. Then one of them got sold (not sure which) and the name of the Jomtien one was changed slightly.

Since then the price in Soi Lengkee for standard F&Cs has gone up more than once but at Jomtien it is still 100B.

Didn't rate the Golden Friar at all when i went there last week. Half cooked fish and about 6 chips which were frozen Makro ones.

Lakeside chippy is the best as far as I am concerned. The chips are great now as opposed to the crap they were serving a couple of years ago. Top notch.

Last ally on the right heading towards beach rarely have cod it seems

then it was also the jolly friar before then?

It was. At that time I think that the Jolly Friars at Jomtien and Soi Lengkee were both owned by the same person. Then one of them got sold (not sure which) and the name of the Jomtien one was changed slightly.

Since then the price in Soi Lengkee for standard F&Cs has gone up more than once but at Jomtien it is still 100B.

actually they are 99 baht at JF

Didn't rate the Golden Friar at all when i went there last week. Half cooked fish and about 6 chips which were frozen Makro ones.

Portion control is certainly evident at the Golden Friar, though at that price it isn't surprising.

The chips (assuming you have real chips and not "fries" which are also available there) certainly don't appear to be from Makro, and I have never had badly-cooked fish there.

I think it is decent light meal worth the 100B. For a bigger meal and 50% higher cost Cafe Patini is good.

After much intensive research (I just walked past on my way to breakfast), and for the benefit of anyone who still cares, I can announce the following:

Jolly Friar in Soi Lengkee has a sign up outside with a photo of battered fish, chips, tartar sauce and one slice each of lemon and lime. This appears to be the same photo that they previously used to advertise their fish and chips for 99B and subsequently 129B.

The price now says "from 149B".

After much intensive research (I just walked past on my way to breakfast), and for the benefit of anyone who still cares, I can announce the following:

Jolly Friar in Soi Lengkee has a sign up outside with a photo of battered fish, chips, tartar sauce and one slice each of lemon and lime. This appears to be the same photo that they previously used to advertise their fish and chips for 99B and subsequently 129B.

The price now says "from 149B".

ok

i stand corrected

How does Jolly Frier compare to the Pig and Whistle on soi 7 and the place adjacent to P & W? I haven't been in awhile but recall the Pig served a nice big piece of nicely battered fish and chips...of course, not budget priced.

Jolly Friars compares well with the P&W's, and I eat in both.

I like that you get a choice in the JF of battered or breadcrumbed fish, and a choice of Chips or French Fries.

Plus add ons like Mushy peas, Curry Sauce etc etc.

Biggest problem with the JF and been like this since day one, they chill the plates and warm the beer !

• 5 months later...