Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

Goose's used to be best but now I'd say

1)Tropical Bert's.

2) JF

3) Simon's

4) VC last one was utter trash tho and I binned it.

5) P&W in Jomptien was overpriced and underwhelming.

6) some place on Choyapoon that gives you the scratchings as well.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might wanna try the 'Everyday is Fryday' place in soi New Plaza. It's 99 baht for a huge piece w/ chips.

They cut down on the portion size of the chips recently but tbh I'm so full after the meal it would just be more empty calories.

The (homemade?) tartar sauce they serve is really good and you get unlimited refills.

Only real negative point is that they don't do crumbed. I think the battered style is a bit to greasy for me and would like the option to switch (like you can do in Friar Tucks on soi Lengkee)

Edited by MaikB84

Goose's used to be best but now I'd say

1)Tropical Bert's.

2) JF

3) Simon's

4) VC last one was utter trash tho and I binned it.

5) P&W in Jomptien was overpriced and underwhelming.

6) some place on Choyapoon that gives you the scratchings as well.

"some place on Choyapoon that gives you the scratchings as well"

I suspect that might be the reborn NeeRoys' ? smile.png

I think 'The Village Chippy' is not bad, more set up for home/bar delivery though. Down the soi next to the swim pool on 3rd road - sort of opposite the fire station/new hospital.

Do they still use frozen chips the same as their new branch on Pratumnak Hill? can't call yourself a "chippy? and use McCain frozen chips IMHO

I think 'The Village Chippy' is not bad, more set up for home/bar delivery though. Down the soi next to the swim pool on 3rd road - sort of opposite the fire station/new hospital.

Do they still use frozen chips the same as their new branch on Pratumnak Hill? can't call yourself a "chippy? and use McCain frozen chips IMHO

Back in my home town in the UK many years ago one crafty chippy owner used to cut stale bread batter and fry it for the late night "legless ones" they couldn,t tell it wasn,t fish LOL so I guess McCain frozen chips will be passable-BTW fish and chips have never tasted the same since the banning of serving them in newspaper clap2.gif

• 7 months later...

Went to a new place that just opened on Soi Khaonoi the other day 'Not Just Curry and Chips 3" and couldn't believe I was served frozen oven chips. Tasted like cooked in an oven rather than in fat as well. From the sign on the door it appears they have 2 other branches in Jomtien/Pattaya, has anyone tried them? Proper chips or oven chips? Can't believe someone would set themselves up as a fish and chip shop and not serve the real stuff. (The curry bit in the name is just for the curry sauce to go with the chips if you want it, no curries - The name originates from an old British Tv series) The pie I had with them was very tasty but I'm not inclined to go back unless someone can tell that this was just an opening glitch.

You might wanna try the 'Everyday is Fryday' place in soi New Plaza. It's 99 baht for a huge piece w/ chips.

They cut down on the portion size of the chips recently but tbh I'm so full after the meal it would just be more empty calories.

The (homemade?) tartar sauce they serve is really good and you get unlimited refills.

Only real negative point is that they don't do crumbed. I think the battered style is a bit to greasy for me and would like the option to switch (like you can do in Friar Tucks on soi Lengkee)

and the ribs are good too

Went to a new place that just opened on Soi Khaonoi the other day 'Not Just Curry and Chips 3" and couldn't believe I was served frozen oven chips. Tasted like cooked in an oven rather than in fat as well. From the sign on the door it appears they have 2 other branches in Jomtien/Pattaya, has anyone tried them? Proper chips or oven chips? Can't believe someone would set themselves up as a fish and chip shop and not serve the real stuff.

The original branch is on Pratumnak, between sois 5 and 6 (or is it 4 and 5?). The 2nd one (which is always closed when I go past) is by the night market on Theprasit.

I've never been tempted to go into any of them.

• 3 months later...

The special nights include a choice of soup or salad. dessert, and bread and butter, nothing to write home about. I would prefer a larger fish portion in its stead, but not bad either.

The fish is one filet, medium sized, cooked nicely, some noticeable grease but not excessive, the batter had a good taste and was quite crispy. It is served with decent cole slaw, not peas as well as tartar sauce but the tartar sauce is not as good as Pig & Whistle (less of the pickle stuff in it). I am not sure about the vinegar they serve at Jamesons, it is out of the regular labelled bottle so I think it is not the real deal.

Their regular 'a la carte' F&C has 2 fillet of fish.

The vinegar is the real deal Sarsons vinegar that we have back in England.

Traditional Fish and Chips hardly :o( 3rd time lucks NOPE. Thought I'd give it one more go should have know better

Crinkle Chips frozen from Makro under cooked by the way, Fish was supposed to be medium

a lot less than last time I think they mixed the order up and gave me a small piece instead of a medium

put it this way if it was any smaller it could have been a fish finger. Batter was Paper thin very disappointed

again, oh well live and Learn I guess. Last time shame really.

CURRY & CHIP SHOP SOI KAU NOI

Traditional Fish and Chips hardly :o( 3rd time lucky NOPE. Thought I'd give it one more go should have know better

Worst I've ever had from here.

Crinkle Chips frozen from Makro under cooked by the way Mdium Portion could count on 2 hands,

Fish was supposed to be medium a lot less than last time I think they mixed the order up and gave me a small piece instead of a medium

put it this way if it was any smaller it could have been a fish finger. Batter was Paper thin very disappointed

again, oh well live and Learn I guess. Last time shame really.

By the way, hat's off to the owner of Simons Irish place. A few years ago I stopped there for some fish and chips and he up front warned me he had stopped importing atlantic Cod. He had received some bad shipments but he still had to pay for them. He recommended to me another place which was importing it. Not many owners voluntarily steer people away from their own place.

The one I always go to is called 'The Jolly Frier' on Soi Leng Kee, just off Soi Bau Kauw. I think I can say I've tried most of the places on this thread, none of them come close to the aforementioned. It's English style all the way, has everything you want.

http://jollyfriarpattaya.com/

When it first opened I would have agreed with you.

But this year, standards have slipped dramatically, so much I give the place a miss nowadays.

Try lilas place on the far side of Maprachan lake, top end of Siam Country club road.

Last week I ordered Cod Chips & Mussy peas, take away.

Not cheap but i got 3 pieces of Cod.

Tasty and I took 2 pieces home for tea.

Edited by edd

The one I always go to is called 'The Jolly Frier' on Soi Leng Kee, just off Soi Bau Kauw. I think I can say I've tried most of the places on this thread, none of them come close to the aforementioned. It's English style all the way, has everything you want.

http://jollyfriarpattaya.com/

This placed USED to be good but last year it changed hands and my late night speciality-take home small fish-was refused "we not sell fish alone-must buy chip too" thus they lost another customer sad.png

Try lilas place on the far side of Maprachan lake, top end of Siam Country club road.

Last week I ordered Cod Chips & Mussy peas, take away.

Not cheap but i got 3 pieces of Cod.

Tasty and I took 2 pieces home for tea.

How much is "not cheap"?

It's pretty weird for me that this ANCIENT thread is still open as I stopped eating fish and chips ANYWHERE years ago.

But, anyway, stay calm and carry on, and when the time comes, there is always help available at the I'm Too Fat forum ... coffee1.gif

Just had lunch there.

The batter is unbelievably crispy and the chips (Makro 10mm stright cut) were ell cooked and adequate in size.

Exceptional value at 99 Baht and I had the mushy peas at +30 Baht.

IMO the best better batter since Goose's and the Village Chippy when it was at it's best.

Just had lunch there.

The batter is unbelievably crispy and the chips (Makro 10mm stright cut) were ell cooked and adequate in size.

IMO the best better batter since Goose's and the Village Chippy when it was at it's best.

Yes, I go to "Fryday" also. Good value and nothing wrong with any of it, if you dont mind frozen chips.

I'm told that the Blue Grenadier is good there but I haven't tried it yet.

Just had lunch there.

Yes, I go to "Fryday" also. Good value and nothing wrong with any of it, if you dont mind frozen chips.

I'm told that the Blue Grenadier is good there but I haven't tried it yet.

Next time I will try the blue hake.

I am OK with frozen chips - especially when cooked properly.

Getting consistency with homemade chips can be trcky - and it is just so much easier to use frozen as and when you need them.

At 99 Baht you can't judge this the same as a gourmet meal - but, for me, Frydays is as good as anything I have tried in the last couple of years.

Just had lunch there.

Where is Soi New Plaza? I'd like to try Everyday is Friday.

I think I paid about 300B (6 pounds) for cod chips and mushy peas.

Makes me wince a bit, but it's less expensive than a very nasty curry at the Fisherman's on the lake.

I may well give it a try when I next go up that way.