Where Can I Purchase "black Out Lining" For Drapes?

shepsel

I am trying to find lining for drapes that has UV protection and black out capability to make a room dark. I thought that Home Pro would have it, but they don't.

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase it by the metre or roll?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ah yes, the infamous "blackout/heat repelling" curtain lining fabric.

I learned about this stuff from an American neighbor who learned about it from an Australian friend who learned about it from ..... who knows, probably an English-speaking, middle aged-female ex-pat. It's almost like the utlimate chain letter. My neighbor literally took me by the hand and led me to a fabric shop in the Warorat market area. She couldn't quite remember where she got it, but armed with a 2-in x 2-in sample, we were able to locate a supplier with just three inquiries. The Indian fabric shopkeepers speak good English, especially the younger members of their families. They aren't shy about directing you to vendors for something they don't stock.

The place we found was on Wichayanon Rd, on the left (west) side as you travel south from Thapae Rd. That's the road just west of Warorat Market. It was about 100-150 south of Thapae Rd, in the middle of the block. It really helped to have a sample of the fabric to show to merchants. I'm sorry I don't know details like the specific name of the shop, its address or phone number.

I'll have some samples at the next meeting of the Textile Group on Friday. Normally we meet at the Raintree Center on the first Friday of the month at noon, but this month we're going to meet at Sop Moei Arts instead. It's about 300 meters north of Raintree on the east side of Charoen Raj Rd, the main road that runs on the east side of the mightly Ping.

For last month's meeting I brought some samples of this blackout/reflective fabric since the assignment was for each of us to discuss our most recent textile art project. That was mine -- I spend a couple of weeks lining the curtains in our condo with the stuff, doing all the sewing by hand. I figured they'd all laugh at my lame excuse for a "textile project", but instead it was the highlight of the meeting. The other ladies took my samples and were eager to learn about how this fabric reduced the afternoon heat in our condo. It also eliminates all the sunlight, too. Our one houseplant died three weeks after I completed the curtain lining project.

Oops, I made a mistake in the directions in my reply.

The shop where I bought the blackout fabric is on the RIGHT side of Wichayanon Rd as you travel south from Thapae Rd. THAT's the west side of that road if you're walking south on the road from Thapae.

I paid 55 baht a meter for the fabric and it's about 62-in wide. So, it was a cheap project to line the curtains in our rental condo. However, if we owned the place and planned to stay for a few years, I'd probably have new lined curtains made professionally, as Vibe suggested.

Edited by NancyL

Most curtain shops here have that stuff, though some have only a couple to choose from and sometimes its very thin. Do a key word search in the chiang mai forum and find a few earlier threads on curtains blinds - there are some good leads there.

I posted in one of them as I wanted to get a whole stack of curtains (with block-out) made up for my rental property back in farang land. Thought it would have to be cheaper, right? Wrong. Before I placed an order I got quotes from curtain makers in Oz also (much more expensive). Ah, but then I discovered the web site of Spotlight (www.spotlight.com.au?). Ended up buying ready made curtains there for far less then I would have paid here to have some made up (and then I would have had to pay excess baggage on the plane or whatever)

I've found most places I have gone they have tried to sell me 'their' variant of the stuff & I eventually gave in & got one, but its not as good as the stuff back home. Theres something to be said for sleeping at night time :o

I took a flashlight with me when I want to the market to determince if the silver blackout fabric was blocking 100 percent of the light. The cheaper stuff wasn't, although it looked the same. If 100 percent black light blockage is important to you be sure to check.

This was after I wasted my time and money with a drapery company who clearly understood what I wanted, sold me the cheapest fabric, and then claimed that it was good enough as that is what they sold to the hotels. What morons they were and I still see people recommending them on this forum. I can't remember the name though as I've put the experience behind me.