Live Rugby League

this is for you sc.2 famous incidents stick in my mind as if they happened yesterday.

first was that missed coversion in front of the sticks up to his neck in mud and the last kick of the game to win the challenge cup.

1968 wembley wakefield vs leeds as eddie said poor kid. who was it.

second was that stamping on a players head which everyone saw,i cant remember his name but he was one hard nut,big forward.

I am sure I saw him play for rochdale hornets.

...As if it was only yesterday...

in black and white, to save on the license fee

SC

the poor kid was don fox he wiped or tried to his forehead sank to his knee's as the final whistle goes [that's one out of two]

its the tuther one I cant get.

after rattling my little bit of brain it suddenly came to life,the other incident,i should be ashamed that it has taken me this long to remember someone who was born just up the road from me in aberdare,he was known as the hardest man ever to play rugby league.capped for wales then played for great brittain till being banned in 1975-1976 for stomping on n.z.player john greengrass's head in the 25-24 win over n.z. who banned him for life.have you got it yet?

HE WAS KNOWN AS BIG JIM MILLS.

hudd. 12 leeds 12 with both teams missing drop kicks in the final minutes.

It was a cracking game - I couldn't believe Danny Brough's last kick came off the post - and again in the action replay!

Huddersfield must have been raging - I've never seen Danny Brough miss so many kicks, and to have four tries disallowed... It was a cracking game to watch

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, the Sportsman Pub in Trendy Sukhumvit soi 13 shows the NRL games live on friday and saturday. I know Setanta gives super rugby preference to NRL so most bars show the replays only. I think the office in soi 33 also shows them all live

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

"Afternoon, lads. Sorry I'm late - I was wild boar hunting down in Indian Country"

"Siddawn, Cawboy"

"Sorry Ray, Allan"

"Theur gettin' beat withawt you, Cawboy. Wu'r 12-0 daown"

"Sorry, Allan"

"Siddawn Cawboy - Oi - wuzthat Stefan Ratchford touchinG daown?"

"I think it was Ryan Atkins finished it off, Ray"

12 - 6 to Hull KR as we take our seats at Craven Park.

So if you're up here in the stands, Ray, who's doing the commentary?

Richard Silverwood in the middle, by the way, with the whistle. No idea who the video referee is "No point speculating"

I was distracted by people talking politics on another thread, but Warrington have scored again, perhaps against the run of play, and it's 14 - 10 to Hull KR.

"What's that you'e got on your iPad, Allan?"

"Shoosh, Cawboy, 'Lomax picks it up, and he's back in that Huddersfield area..."

"He's commentating the Huddersfield St Helens game, Cawboy, let'im concentraite"

Well, it looks like my neighbours Ray and Allan are at the Galpharm by the magic of the internet, so I might as well be sat here on my own at Craven Park... St Helens ahead 0 - 8 in Huddersfield, if that's of any interest

Widnes 10 - 6 down against Championship side Halifax, if anyone is asking.

Wakefield trailing 6 - 26 at home to Leeds Rhinos - might be a long road back for Wakey, David.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

If you're looking for an upset, my money was on Batley 6 - 12 Castleford, but the most likely at half time is looking like Halifax 10 - 6 Widnes.

Rees Evans takes a great pass on the touch line and cuts back inside to score the first try of the second half and tie the scores, while Chris Bridge has the opportunity to put the Wolves ahead for the first time.. Tony Smith's side take the lead after an error from full-back Ben Cockayne.

EDIT:

I can see why Eurosport are silent on the Challenge Cup this weekend - there really is too much to choose from. Great coverage of the Heineken Cup, though, if I might digress across the codes, and surely a heartbreak for Ulster after coming so close after losing their full-back in the fourth minute.

Ave Gardner scores in the right-hand corner for Rovers, and Warrington have been punished for their errors; Hull KR retake the lead and Travis Burns kicks the conversion across the face of the posts, to leave the home side leading by a narrow two-point margin.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Batley 6 - 30 Castleford Tigers LIVE Scorers Bradford Bulls 46 - 6 Oldham LIVE Scorers Doncaster 40 - 18 Hemel Stags LIVE Scorers Featherstone 50 - 0 North Wales Crusaders LIVE Scorers Halifax 10 - 22 Widnes Vikings LIVE Scorers Hull KR 18 - 22 Warrington Wolves LIVE Scorers Hunslet 19 - 10 Workington LIVE Scorers Keighley 42 - 20 Barrow LIVE Scorers Rochdale 22 - 28 Leigh LIVE Scorers Swinton 28 - 24 York LIVE Scorers Wakefield Wildcats 6 - 44 Leeds Rhinos LIVE Scorers Huddersfield Giants 10 - 8 St Helens

It looks like Batley, Halifax and Oldham will be going home empty-handed, but with five all-Superleague ties, there are plenty of Championship sides going through to the fifth round, and a high likelihood of one or two progressing further.

Meanwhile Warrington still lead by four points with momentum on their side, and Matty Russell feeds Asatesi who takes the ball from the Scottish international to extend the Warrington lead to more than one score. Hull KR 18 - 28 Warrrington with five minutes to go.

But Hull KR go over, and with the successful conversion from Travis Burns its Hull KR 24 - 28 Warrington

And that's the way it ends as Warrington Wolves take their place in the fifth round of the Challenge Cup - will they be going to Wembley in August for the fourth time in six years?

Let's scoot over, with Ray and Allan, to Huddersfield, by the magic of the internet, to see how St Helens are getting on. It's the John Smith stadium, not the Galpharm, as I may have said earlier, by the way. The home side leading 10 - 8 as we approach full time...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Now let's teleport ourselves to the John Smith stadium (not the Galpharm, as I may have said in my ignorance) where St Helens are trailing 16 - 8 but pressuring the home side and Ohaia is over the line but can't get it down (I have the opposite trouble, after this much Tiger) and St Helens can't get through. Lomax is dropped on his head and there's a bit of a brawl opening up "You can't do that" says Ray and St Helens are going to get their third successive set of six.

"He surely has to go for ten minutes, Allan" and Huddersfield are down to 12 men

And Tommy Makinson gets the try on the touch line, and it's a beauty, but Huddersfield still lead 16 - 14 with 12 men on the home side.

But from the kick-off, Saints knock on, and give Huddersfield an attacking opportunity. What magic can Scottish hero Brough conjure from his side?

Crabtree charges, but he's pulled up short, and Huddersfield drop the ball over the line, and St Helens have another chance

Saints get a second set of six inside the Huddersfield half but Roby loses the ball

"If Saints win this game they'll have done it with the most knock-ons, Allan"

Eight and a half minutes to go, Saints have not been at their best, says Allan, while Huddersfield have stuck to it.

Penalty to Saints on the last tackle and Luke Walsh has the opportunity to level the scores and, in all probability, take the game to Golden Point...Allan would put his house on it, but you're too late to take him up on the offer, and just as well not, because it's 16 -16. Are Huddersfield back up to 13 men?

And Saints let the ball go dead from the kick-off, and is Danny 'Braveheart' Brough lining up for a drop goal?

He kicks early, but it's charged down, and Huddersfield get another set of six...and Brough lines up again - and it's charged down again - is that bloddy Charlie Hodgeson playing for St Helens?

Fourth chance, and it's not charged down, but it goes wide!

Saints hang on to the ball and bring it up the field - James Roby is off and Wash is off to his right hand side and Luke Walsh has dropped the goal that might give St Helens the victory. Danny Brough kicks it long and Saints will hold on to it, but Saints pass the ball extravagantly, but get away with it and Saints are through to the fifth round, with their neighbours Wigan, Warrington and Widnes

Edited by StreetCowboy

A cracking win for Hull FC as they give Huddersfield a veritable thumping. Danny Brough wins a yellow card for losing his cool as the League Leaders' Shield holders slump to a well-deserved 30 - 6 drubbing. Let's hope he and Wardle recover their confidence by 2017 when they will next be asked to don the blue and thistle for country in the world cup...

More or less everyone else is playing tonight, and I've set to record top of the table clash Castleford - St Helens

SC

And what a cracking game that was. Castleford needed to win by nine points or more to go top of the table, and they had it in the bag by half time, with a 24 - 6 lead, St Helens didn't have a chance. Someone should've told the St Helens players, who did not appreciate the hopelessness of their situation, and were throwing the ball around like - well, like something you throw about a lot, until, in the seventy-ninth minute, they took the lead for the first time. Final score Castleford 28 - 30 St Helens.

And what a cracking game that was. Castleford needed to win by nine points or more to go top of the table, and they had it in the bag by half time, with a 24 - 6 lead, St Helens didn't have a chance. Someone should've told the St Helens players, who did not appreciate the hopelessness of their situation, and were throwing the ball around like - well, like something you throw about a lot, until, in the seventy-ninth minute, they took the lead for the first time. Final score Castleford 28 - 30 St Helens.

2 games in a row I have had to take bp.tabs,what an absolute cracker I felt for cas.as I used to live just up the road[70's]

then last night qpr vs n.forest with the score at 2-2 with 5mins to go q.park scores 3 in 4mins.

I don't know if I should watch paciao vs.bradley this morn.

oh darling pass me another can.

Warrington leading 24 - 0 at home to Widnes - a win by 9 points will take them above Widnes

Earlier this afternoon Wigan ended Saints' unbeaten start to the season with a 14 - 33 win.

Yesterday, a drop goal broke Smokie's heart as Rovers won the Hull derby, and Wakefield are trailing 6 - 14 late in the first half.

It's Easter, so everyone will be playing again on Monday or Tuesday.

SC

EDIT: Half-time score at Wakefield 12 - 26 to Castleford, currently lying third in the League.

Warrington score shortly after half - time to make it 28 - 0, and Widnes will be struggling if it carries on like this much longer...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Warrington leading 24 - 0 at home to Widnes - a win by 9 points will take them above Widnes

Earlier this afternoon Wigan ended Saints' unbeaten start to the season with a 14 - 33 win.

Yesterday, a drop goal broke Smokie's heart as Rovers won the Hull derby, and Wakefield are trailing 6 - 14 late in the first half.

It's Easter, so everyone will be playing again on Monday or Tuesday.

SC

EDIT: Half-time score at Wakefield 12 - 26 to Castleford, currently lying third in the League.

Warrington score shortly after half - time to make it 28 - 0, and Widnes will be struggling if it carries on like this much longer...

The Robins deserved their latest victory against the Airlie birds, but how will events taking place

In London on the 17th May affect the replay on the same date? Personally I still expect a Robins win.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I watched the end of the dress rehearsal this evening, and I think any one that went to London to watch the repeat would be wasting an afternoon of sporting entertainment

SC

That hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I find even an evenly-matched roundball game frustrating to watch - with the exception of the Malaysia - Liverpool tour game a couple of years ago. 80,000 in the stadium, cheering for both teams, and a 6 - 3 final score line.

Anyway, back to the egg-throwing... I've got the St Helens Wigan and Warrington - Widnes games recorded, I hope, but I won't get a chance to watch them till after the end of the month when I get back from my next business trip. Must remember to set the recorder for this weekend's games. I think Astro will show the Challenge Cup games....

I wonder if I can get all my chores done before kick-off tonight?

SC

• Like 1

In a turn-up for the form book, Widnes have bounced back from their 44-6 drubbing by Warrington at the Halliwell Jones, to take an 18 - 4 home lead over league leaders St Helens.

Shenton scores in the corner for the first try at Castleford, to give the home side the lead.

My recordings failed, and I've got no great hope that this week's games will get captured either. The Astro / Eurosport schedule gets changed at late notice, and then the recording setting is lost. So I'm glad I listened to the Warrington game on the wireless

SC

EDIT: and by half time, Saints have clawed their way back up to 18 - 16 behind, but I'm off across the Pennines for a moment...Warrington still trailing 6 - 0... but not for long - Michael Monaghan charges down a kick and Ratchford levels the scores

Edited by StreetCowboy

Widnes hanging on to an 8 point lead in the final ten minutes at the whateveritscalledthisyear stadium

Soliola dummies, beats his man but the pass is intercepted and Rees Hanbury intecepts but he can't take the ball for Widnes... four minutes and forty seconds for a Saints scrum... and then a penalty... Oooh! Play on says the referee - no he doesn't, it's a knock-on and with four minutes to go, Widnes take the ball from the scrum, Paddy Flynn races away but Lance Ohaia brings him down, but they get to the Saints Line, and can Lulai get it down (some of us suffer from the opposite problem) and Widnes extend their lead to seal the game. So let's head back across the Pennines, and see how Scotland star Matty Russell is getting on with his new Warrington team mates at Castleford

They're not getting on very well, on the wrong side of a 34 - 6 score line. Tony Smith will not be a happy camper...

Bradford hammered 84 - 6 at the DW Stadium in Wigan, Leeds 32 - 4 Salford, so Leeds will end the day top, with St Helens and Castleford level a point behind - unless Warrington can pull something magical out of the bag

SC

Now I've got Catalans leading hull KR 16 - 0 at home on Eurosport, but I have to get off to my bed, and pack for going away tomorrow as well

SC

EDIT:And while I'm packing, Hull KR have scored three tries, and if Travis Burns converts Omari Caro's try, Rovers will go in for oranges ahead - it's a fabulous kick, and Rovers are 16 - 18 up in Perpignan

Edited by StreetCowboy

Congratulations to Castleford, who have turned around since a pretty dismal last season, and now sit second in the league behind Yorkshire rivals Leeds. After their 40 - 6 drubbing last night, Warrington find themselves in the bottom half of the table ten games into the season, despite hammering neighbours Widnes, who still sit three places above them, on Good Friday. Lancashire arch-rivals St Helens and Wigan, sit in 3rd and 4th.

Next weekend it's Challenge Cup fifth round, and the tie of the weekend is surely Leeds - St Helens.... let's hope the recorder catches it this time...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Congratulations to Castleford, who have turned around since a pretty dismal last season, and now sit second in the league behind Yorkshire rivals Leeds. After their 40 - 6 drubbing last night, Warrington find themselves in the bottom half of the table ten games into the season, despite hammering neighbours Widnes, who still sit three places above them, on Good Friday. Lancashire arch-rivals St Helens and Wigan, sit in 3rd and 4th.

Next weekend it's Challenge Cup fifth round, and the tie of the weekend is surely Leeds - St Helens.... let's hope the recorder catches it this time...

SC

I managed to get to the internet just before half-time. Ray and Allan are talking amongst themselves in most exasperated terms - while the score board tells us Leeds are leading 12 - 6

Dennis Bett's Widnes leading away at Dr K's Salford Red Devils 24 - 8 (my apologies for the late start - there's only 12 minutes to go, but I was unavoidably delayed by a brew-pub on the way home to the hotel...

Bradford are leading Catalans at home 30 - 20 in the other all Superleague game this afternoon.

Allan Rooney has taken possession from Ray French, as Widnes recover possession, for all the world looking like they will be in the Quarter Finals.

Salford upend the Widnes player to give away a penalty with ten minutes to go...

"Theur's far too meny in this Salford saide teu oeuld and teu sleuw..."

and I'm not the only one that finds that offensive, Ray, and Tasi scores for Salford

... and Salford race away and if Salford score here... very much so, Allan...

But Widnes hang on, and then break to score at the death and Jack Owens kicks the conversion after an amazing finish 20 - 30 to the visitors

and Bradford have extended their lead to win 33 - 20 over Catalans

Leigh progress as the only Championship side over Featherstone, while Warrington, Wigan and Castleford all progress safely against opposition from the lower reaches of the game

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

after Thursdays boreing game saints vs bronco's,this morning play resumed,magnifico leeds vs wigan leeds were absolutely great.so next week its the top 2,leeds vs cas. what about leeds sc.peacock to retire[not on your nelly] at 36yrs.old he's got another 10yrs.

I'm looking forward to it, if the Astro recording has worked this time. All my recordings from last weekend failed...

Jamie Peacock looks like he's a hundred years old, but he plays like he's got years to go. But I see he's building up his credentials as a pundit.

cas.14.leeds 22.what a great game of no nonsence rugby,80minutes of TRUE GRIT by both teams with not a foul insight.

after cas had gone in at the break 14-12 up could they keep it up second half,sadly the answer was no,they were running on empty the last 20mins.once again that old man still there when the hooter went.so it looks like leeds,saints,and cas the top three.leeds without rob,barrow,ryan hall and Buchanan just ground cas into submission.

so whats next.warrington and cat.dragons tooo early for me.

just had a look at next weekends[magic] starts sat.17th,18.30pm thai time,pick of the 4 games wigan vs.leeds, 1.15am thai,

sun.starts 18.30pm.thai.pick of the games wakefield vs cas.

just had a look at next weekends[magic] starts sat.17th,18.30pm thai time,pick of the 4 games wigan vs.leeds, 1.15am thai,

sun.starts 18.30pm.thai.pick of the games wakefield vs cas.

Are all the games on Eurosport?

Unfortunately I'll be on family visit and will miss most of it, but hope to get home in time for Warrington - St Helens. I've booked a seat in the stand, virtually speaking, with Ray and Allan.

This weekend's Warrington game against Catalans is on Eurosport, but not live, I think, so I'll record it. 2 am kick off Thai time is a struggle for me, even at the weekend...

Drifting off-topic, it's the England Sevens tomorrow, and I'm hoping that Scotland can repeat last weekend's success to set up a Quarter Final with the hosts, the Auld Enemie on Sunday morning. And while we're there (off-topic), Hong Kong - Korea on Saturday afternoon live on Eurosport should be a good competitive game as well

SC

I wish I was with you sc.my thoughts of all those days at post office rd.half time,PORK PIE,MUSHY PEAS AND MINT SAUCE.it will be only the menu next weekend.but not at 3 in the morning.oh and john keplers.