Yamaha Fino

Guemlum

Hi guys, my stepson is going to be 17 years old in November and is wanting a motorbike for his birthday.

I remember when I was 17 and how excited I was when I got my first car. I know that motorbikes are a big thing for youngsters in Thailand.

He has never had his own motorbike before and simply used family members bikes, so I think its about time he had his own.

He would like a Yamaha Fino. Can anyone tell me what up to date costs are of the Fino, as I will be travelling out to be with him early November and would love to surprise him with a new bike. Any alternatives to the Fino would be greatly appreciated.

We are based up in Nongkhai so any dealership recommendations would also be great.

Thanks

Guemlum

I've seen new ones go for 39k Baht. They get a bad press on this forum, not sure why. In the 12 months I've been here I've had:

Yamaha Fino 9 months....in hot pink! Great handling, still the best bike I've ridden by far, quick, small wheels = good acceleration

Yamaha Nuevo 1 month - snapped two drive belts in 3 days. Electrics didn't work, wobbly, but nice long wheelbase for cruising.

Now I have a Yamaha Mio (basically a Fino in a less girly outfit). Quicker than 125's up to 90kph. Good handling, short wheelbase, good for traffic but floppy and twitchy on long bends.

I say get one, but don't let him put those skinny wheels on, it ruins the handling and he'll have Arthur Itis by the time he's 20.

They're great for modding too, which he'll love to do. The Disco ones look cool!

Finoes are OK, otherwise not so many Thais of both sexes would own them. I brought one for the wife about 3 month ago (43Kbath) and we have now done app. 2500 km on it. It runs very smoothly in the pattaya traffic and never had a problem. It easily out accelerates my ex 125 Honda Wave.

If you buy a brand new for your step son be aware of that he has to run the engine in, this is very important for a long engine life and good performance.

If I was you; I think I would buy a 1 year old bike but not my call. :)

Fino is a great bike. My wife and I have a pink one (no prizes for guessing who chose the colour :) ). Sorry to hear about your wife, and hope that the present delights the lad.

Keep him safe. According to the Global Road Safety Partnership, "81 % of total injured patients admitted to hospitals in 2002 (in Khon Kaen) were motorcycle injury victims......and less than 15% used crash helmets. It is believed that this is likely to reflect the situation in other provinces too". I hope that he gets good driving skills and behaviours so that he enjoys the freedom and doesn't add to the statistics. :D

QUOTE (Guemlum @ 2009-09-13 17:28:02) post_snapback.gifdam_n...I just wrote a huge reply and lost it, so here is the wittled down version..

• Was a bit quick to bite at MeMocks post...sorry.
  • Son 16, 17 in November.
  • Still in further education...at college.
  • Has never had job..but will push him towards getting part time job in the future...especially if he wants to maintain it.
  • Never promised him a bike...said was exspensive..he is aware of this.
  • My wife (his mother) recently passed away...always said we would buy him a bike once he was 18.
  • Again, he is aware of this.
  • In the 6 years his mother and I were together he has never asked me for anything and does not take things for granted...not a case of Farang will pay...I can be a right stingy s**t when I want to be..he is not aware of this :)
  • Before my wife passed away, I promised her that I would take care of him like any father/stepfather would do..see him through his education...to support him financially up untill the age where he was working for himself...whats wrong with that? I just hope he's not in his forties when that happens!!!
  • Most kids younger than him see to have bikes nowadays..especially up where we live..and I would love for him to have a bit more freedom and independence.
  • And after all, it is his birthday..its a gift from me to him.Guemlum

---------------------------------- As for me.... go ahead, you´re doing the right thing. A promise is a promise is a promise....

Good kid, still in school. congratulations.

Glegolo

I bought a Fino a year ago. Second hand, 1 year old. 32K Baht. Never had a problem with the bike itself except for punctures - but that is not particularly a bike problem.

As said earlier, there are some great mods to be made to a Fino and they are very popular.

A new one is around 42K Baht, but I do notice some places doing them for a bit less.

I'd recommend the Fino, very easy to live with, just sit on it and go - maybe getting lazy but the automatic gear change is ideal for a small bike. If he's 17 its a good choice as has a trendy image and he can modify it with off the peg accessories so can make it stand out from the crowd. Worth paying an extra 5-600 baht for a half decent helmet to match the bike rather than getting one of those plastic egg shell things :) , he may be more likely to use it rather than have it hanging off the wing mirror. When I bought mine was offered a 3 yr deal on 1st class insurance for about 1500 baht. If you do buy one make sure you know which colour scheme he prefers, good luck with it. I'm sure it will make his day and be remembered by him for a long time.

Fino. I love the Fino looks - though all the colors I really like, they don't make this year, e.g. brown and black.

Anyway, as somebody who's into the Fino's hot sexy looks, I can tell you that there is no alternative. Don't even think about anything else. Nothing looks like it. There's that fake JRD copy fino (do these guys copy everything?) but that clearly won't do and besides a friend had a JRD actually catch on fire which should settle the quality question once and for all.

I find the Fino very pleasant to ride too. I don't have one, but it's always my rental whenever I am somewhere in Thailand where I didn't bring my own bike. I have used it for about 3 months total. It handles great and looks great.

Prices are posted here

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/in...ycle_Price_List

Is he not more tempted by a ksr ??

I just cant see buying a male a fino ?

I would want one. Burgundy red and cream/beige. Elegance 135cc engine/swingarm/auto and front brake :) Ohlin shock. 4 extra, cromed lights in front. :D:D Rear towbar (as I have on my Nuovo to pull a trailer with my rottweiler to the beach). Would be great since I dont use the Nuovo more than 10km distance after i got the Ninja650R.