Sorting Out A Bike Crash

alant

a few weeks ago my step daughter (s/d) didnt see a bike as she turned right into our estate ans she managed to clip the oncoming bike.

both riders came off and went to hospital (? see later). i kinda thought the gash on the s/d would encourage the use of her helmet in future, it hasnt...

here is some of the follow up events.

1. take s/d to hospital etc head injury so she stays in for a couple of nights

2. next day, go to police, they say s/d is at fault and liable, we (mrs and i) go to hospital we were advised he was going to at crash site, he is not there .

3. call police, they say go check with licence authority, we drive there but they wont tell us anything they will only tell the police.

4. call police, they say go to local police to accident, we go, they make some calls and say he went to a different hospital

5. we go to new hospital, they have never heard of him!

6. go to police, say we cant find him, look at both bikes his appears to have no plate or tax, police say they will call if he contacts them, we cant have our bike until he agrees damages with us

7. a weel goes by, no sign of the bloke so thee police say we can have our bike so we pick it up.

and so it goes on, the s/d has a fine to pay we have paperwork to give back to the police for the repair etc and if the bloke turns up we could be liable for his costs although that is getting less likely i guess. police think he is a burmese illegal

and the moral? i dont know really.

this week i have friends coming to thailand and part of the plan is for them to hire a couple of bikes and re do the GT bit, but this has made me a little cautious especially as bike hire insurance is just the basic stuff.

any clues on a good visitor insurance by the day?

cheers

al

Not really sure on insurance for rental bikes.

My bike has full first class insurance, including against theft, loss through fire, bail bond insurance etc. Rentals would definitely need special insurance, as my policy clearly prohibits my bike to be rented out.

Just checked my policy and it carries a 900,000 Baht bail bond insurance, 1,000,000 third party damage(per accident), 2,000,000 Baht third party injury per person with a total liability limit of 10 million...

Own damage is limited at 80% of new value of bike.

Not really sure on insurance for rental bikes.

My bike has full first class insurance, including against theft, loss through fire, bail bond insurance etc. Rentals would definitely need special insurance, as my policy clearly prohibits my bike to be rented out.

Just checked my policy and it carries a 900,000 Baht bail bond insurance, 1,000,000 third party damage(per accident), 2,000,000 Baht third party injury per person with a total liability limit of 10 million...

Own damage is limited at 80% of new value of bike.

hi monty

ta for the comments, i have the full first class for my bike no problem, i just have a little concern about my friends if (heaven forbid) anything goes wrong. as far as i know all the hire companies carry is the mandatory medical stuff inc 3rd party medical but little if anything else.

the other reason for doing this is just to pont out to the innocent visitor that "it aint like back home"

cheers

alan t.

Don't think rental bike comes with full insurance. What kind of bike do your oversea friends want to rent? Thai bikes or large bikes?

I think the best to do in your situation is to go visit shops that rent bikes out and ask. If they want to rent big bikes, ask owner id possible to make a full insurance for the duration of the rent period (that will cost extra of course).

Unless your friends are experienced riders don't ride bikes here, I seen many foreigners here in Pattaya rent large 1000cc sports bikes and just one look at them tell me that they are not in control of the bike (signal light constant on, flop-flops, bare over body etc). Don't know why they do it, most are young men from India or some Arab country, guess they want to show their friends at home that they are a real cool dude. Properly over 97% (a guess only) are getting away with it, but the rest is either ending up at the hospital or in a body bag. If you get stopped by the police on ANY size bike without a licence, you pay a 200 bath fine and off you go again!! There should be a rule that said: +150cc you are not riding anywhere without a licence. But okay this is Thailand, so I know I am only dreaming, he-he. Just see how many Thais are killed every year on bikes. I don't know how the authorities in Vietnam managed to teach people to drive so slowly but they did, maybe something to do with politics/democratic.

All that said, I drive every day here in Thailand on either my HD or my Fino and I love it (expect when it rains, :D ). I had some close calls but I also had that in Europe and Australia, so stay alert and try to read the traffic all around you. :)

Well I am a bit off topic, sorry got carried away.