If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? 4

Jockstar

I learned to do a 'negro shuffle' to this music on the dance floor back in them days...and then the white girls who always considered me to be an inappropriate creep took notice and finallly looked me in the eye...ironically I became a surf hero as well as I beat the school surf bully in a one - to - one contest at Rincon, south of Santa Barbara that was witnessed by a flotilla of classmates...

1963 was a good year...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, bannork said:

Nice story Tutsi, but what is a surf bully? Do they cut in front as you're riding the crest of a wave? in the UK we're lucky just to get a wave, no time for any horse play.

naw...someone that cuts you off is just an idiot...a bully is just like what you got in any school yard: 'you think yer bad? then choose off, punk...' and the whole school yard was watching...and I said calmly: ' Rincon, two weeks, 8 am...'

I didn't know how we were gonna do it, we were just little kids not old enough to drive but because the bully was so reviled I got all the support that I needed...5 cars fulla Pasadena surfers pulled up curbside at Rincon that morning, assorted parents driving...they gots a proper parking lot now...

the dude was all mouth and any half assed type coulda taken him...and on the following Monday at school I returned to a hero's welcome...girls that before never paid me any mind were now effusive and etc...

maybe that's why I like the song so much...

oh, yeah (tutsi's feet starts to shuffle...)

as little kids we stuck to the inside break (about 2 - 3 feet that day) but my choice of locale for the surfdown was significant...I was gonna beat that dude well and proper...

you can see from the video that when Rincon is cookin' there ain't no better right point break in de woild...it only breaks good in the winter...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

My apologies for the prolonged absence, but I've not been feeling so musically inclined, but for the odd flower of scotland while watching rugby last week and the week before

until a friend who I think asked for a bit of cheering up.

I've been suffering a bit with the arthritis myself but worse things happen at sea; you never know where you might wash up - there's worse places than Ramsey; I've been to some....

It's enough to make you drown your sorrows

• Like 1

the real stuff from a pre post modern era...

and my pals at the time took a drag offa their Camels said: 'get outta here tutsi, that's pussy music...' tutsi: 'what's pussy got to do widdit? music is music!...'

and then we picked up our instruments (tutsi played a Fender Precision Bass that was bigger than he was) and started in on Rufus Thomas' 'walkin' the dog'...

the barbarism of yoof in California in 1964...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Worse things happen at sea- always loved that phrase- When I first lived in Bangkok in a guesthouse an old sailor called John  often   quoted that:

' John, 7-11 are out of bread.' 

'Never mind, worse things happen at sea.'

And how he knew. he had been a stoker on merchant ships in WW2,  the chief stoker was a sadist he said, worked them to death in high or low seas. if they'd been torpedoed they wouldn't have had a chance.