True Ultra Hi-Speed Internet

petedk

My default browser is Google Chrome. Should I manually set the proxy in all browsers one by one?

There are two general approaches to this... One is for people who use a wifi router, they often can, depending on the router model, set a proxy in the router that then applies to all PCs/computers served by the router..whether wired or wireless.

The other way is to set the proxy in the browser settings, which only apply for that particular browser on that particular computer... So, on the same PC, you could have Chrome set for a direct connection and then separately have Firefox set for a proxy connection.

It really depends on the individual user, and what they're using the proxy for... just a few isolated things...or for everything they're doing on the Internet...

In my case, I only use the proxy for specific limited uses/purposes, but don't use or want it for my general Internet use... So I just turn it on in the browser when doing those particular things, and then just leave it off the rest of the time.

I think in general, it's a lot easier to turn on and turn off the proxy settings in a browser that you're already using and having open vs. making make those same changes in a router, where typically you have to log-in with a user ID and password via a browser page in order to change its settings... But maybe some networking guy will explain some shortcut for fiddling with the router settings for that...

thanks for this... I'm currently on a 3bb 12/1 dsl connection, but moving house.. True are offering free instal, and it is the same price for 30/3 doscics as it is for my 3bb line which I would have to pay 1600 baht to transfer. I have access to the TRUE cable service, and am trying to decide which would be the best option for me.

True regularly runs promotions for free or discounted installs...so that's a normal thing...

True's 30/3 cable plan should suit you fine... But be aware, most of that extra speed capacity (vs 10 Mbps or 20 Mbps plans and pricing) is going to come into play for local content, not international content/connections.

We haven't had many people with True cable 30/3 reporting specifics on their results here... But from some tests Pib and I have done with their 10 and 20 Mbps cable plans, we were getting between 25 and 35% of their rated plan speeds on our international speed tests to the U.S. -- of course, results varying based on the day of the week and time of the day and other factors.

Where the higher speed plan might be of benefit also is with multi-threaded activity... A single thread might cap out at 200 KB/ps for example, but you'd be able to have a 2nd/3rd/4th/5th etc. thread running at the same or similar speeds... That doesn't do any good for video streaming... and I don't think it helps with online video gaming... but it can be useful for torrents and similar downloading.

In general, True's pricing is better on their cable plans vs. their DSL plans for comparable plan speeds. Also, in general, from comments here, I'd think True seems to have a better reputation for actually providing a reasonably working Internet connection compared to 3BB... though service aside, True's customer service re handling installs, service calls, billing issues, etc. can be really bad. Unfortunately, I don't know I have anything better overall to suggest.

With any ISP also, a lot wlll depend on the specific location you're moving to... as in... how far away is it from the main connection for DSL, how many and active users are there on the same local line you share for cable service, how old or new is the overall wiring infrastructure to your specific area, etc etc... A lot of those kinds of things are hard to know until you actually give those services a try.

thanks for this... I'm currently on a 3bb 12/1 dsl connection, but moving house.. True are offering free instal, and it is the same price for 30/3 doscics as it is for my 3bb line which I would have to pay 1600 baht to transfer. I have access to the TRUE cable service, and am trying to decide which would be the best option for me.

True regularly runs promotions for free or discounted installs...so that's a normal thing...

True's 30/3 cable plan should suit you fine... But be aware, most of that extra speed capacity (vs 10 Mbps or 20 Mbps plans and pricing) is going to come into play for local content, not international content/connections.

We haven't had many people with True cable 30/3 reporting specifics on their results here... But from some tests Pib and I have done with their 10 and 20 Mbps cable plans, we were getting between 25 and 35% of their rated plan speeds on our international speed tests to the U.S. -- of course, results varying based on the day of the week and time of the day and other factors.

Where the higher speed plan might be of benefit also is with multi-threaded activity... A single thread might cap out at 200 KB/ps for example, but you'd be able to have a 2nd/3rd/4th/5th etc. thread running at the same or similar speeds... That doesn't do any good for video streaming... and I don't think it helps with online video gaming... but it can be useful for torrents and similar downloading.

In general, True's pricing is better on their cable plans vs. their DSL plans for comparable plan speeds. Also, in general, from comments here, I'd think True seems to have a better reputation for actually providing a reasonably working Internet connection compared to 3BB... though service aside, True's customer service re handling installs, service calls, billing issues, etc. can be really bad. Unfortunately, I don't know I have anything better overall to suggest.

With any ISP also, a lot wlll depend on the specific location you're moving to... as in... how far away is it from the main connection for DSL, how many and active users are there on the same local line you share for cable service, how old or new is the overall wiring infrastructure to your specific area, etc etc... A lot of those kinds of things are hard to know until you actually give those services a try.

thanks for the info.. maybe keep both...:-) dsl for the office and the other one for downloading and gaming

Just as an example, the cable internet 30 Mbps package is 1799 baht per month...

By comparison, the 20 Mbps package is 1299 and a 7 Mbps DSL plan is 599... all of these prices having VAT and such added on...

So the two approaches come out basically the same, and end up giving you a backup/redundant connection for when things go south, as they invariably will at some point in time.

My default browser is Google Chrome. Should I manually set the proxy in all browsers one by one?

Chrome uses Windows (IE) proxy settings by default. You can override this behavior by adding --proxy-server= option to the chrome.exe shortcut.

Example:

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --proxy-server=

I have found that the proxy setting in Chrome browser are at:

Customize > Options > Under the Hood > Network > "Change Proxy setting" button > (after clicking on that button) Internet Properties window pops up > Connections tab > "LAN settings" button > and I set it as per Pib instructons in the post #505 (i.e. "in the Proxy Server area check the two boxes where it says "Use a proxy server….." and "Bypass proxy server….." Also in the Address block enter "proxy.trueinternet.co.th" and in the Port block enter 8080").

After that I checked the setting in IE 9, and they are the same as in Chrome.

What input should I provide in Firefox in the Connection Setting window? (see attached pic)

post-121-0-26353400-1316890762_thumb.gif

Like I said, Chrome uses IE/Windows proxy settings by default. You can manage proxies in Chrome with Proxy Switchy! extension.

Firefox

Use System proxy settings (IE/Windows) or Manual proxy configuration, whichever you prefer. Input the same proxy server as you did in Chrome, or use this one:

proxy.asianet.co.th:8080.

Edited by Supernova

Just as an example, the cable internet 30 Mbps package is 1799 baht per month...

By comparison, the 20 Mbps package is 1299 and a 7 Mbps DSL plan is 599... all of these prices having VAT and such added on...

So the two approaches come out basically the same, and end up giving you a backup/redundant connection for when things go south, as they invariably will at some point in time.

That might well be the way to go... Thanks for that

Two things to note with the Proxy On.

1. To reach your wireless router/modem to play with its menu settings or other devices like a VOIP adapter, etc., you may need to enter an Exception in the Proxy settings. You do this by clicking the Advanced button next to the block where you enter the Port number of "8080" and then in the Proxy Exception block at the bottom of the menu entering the IP address of the router and/or any other devices like the IP address you enter to access the router setup menus like 192.168.1.1 or whatever. If entering more than one IP address for other local devices separate each entered IP address with a semi-colon. I also enter the word "localhost" as one of the entries.

2. If using your laptop to go on road trips and connect to other WAN/ISPs like at the airport, hotel, hotspot, a family network, etc., you will need to turn off the True Proxy because more than likely you'll be hooking into a non-True network. If you leave the proxy setting on, you wouldn't be able to make a connection, reach web sites, and/or reach your email server. Ex: In a previous job our company used a proxy setting, but when whenever I would take the office laptop home/road trip and tried to hook into another network (like my home network) I couldn't reach any web sites until turning off the company proxy. You don't have delete any proxy setting; just turn it off while connecting to that non-True WAN.

Above really applies to any proxy, not just True's proxy....kinda like the company proxy example I gave above. Another example: If your ISP was TOT and they had a proxy, then you would have to turn off your TOT proxy setting to hook into a True, 3BB, whoever, etc., network.

• Like 1

As FYI and as of today/25Sep11, here is the English language link to True's web page where they provide various configuration settings such as their proxy info, email servers, etc. Link

And realizing that the True web site is always changing their web pages addresses, which means above web page link may not be valid/will change in the near future, attached is a snapshot of the page in PDF format. Remember, if doing any manual configuration changes to your computer's setup like using the proxy setting, info is as of 25Sep11...server configuration info may (surely will) change at some point in the future.

TrueServerConfiguration.pdf

• Like 1

Helps to reduce True's bandwidth requirements by not being able to connect to the server. ;)

That was a good catch....never noticed it was misspelled on the True page....guess my brain automatically corrected the spelling while reading the info.

Additionally, you can also use the True proxy name of "proxy.asianet.co.th" It's not a different proxy; it's the exact same proxy as "proxy.trueinternet.co.th" but with another name. And you can also just enter the proxy IP address of "58.97.5.26" which is the IP address for the trueinternet or asianet layman's proxy names.

Personally, I would enter the "www.trueinternet.co.th" name since it's probably easier to remember and reconfirm when looking at your proxy settings.

Additionally, you can also use the True proxy name of "proxy.asianet.co.th" It's not a different proxy; it's the exact same proxy as "proxy.trueinternet.co.th" but with another name. And you can also just enter the proxy IP address of "58.97.5.26" which is the IP address for the trueinternet or asianet layman's proxy names.

Personally, I would enter the "www.trueinternet.co.th" name since it's probably easier to remember and reconfirm when looking at your proxy settings.

The IP address above doesn't work. Can't say I've seen those numbers before... Where did you get it?

True proxy IPs

203.144.144.164/166

I use these regularly; switching between them from time to time.

true ultra became live in pattaya on the 15th. I called the salesman direct because the stores and the true 4 digit number were useless....I gave him my passport number and he told me 3 days. In 2 days i get a sms saying they are coming tomorrow. Two workers show up in a truck and start running spools of rg6 cable from pole to pole. They then proceed to drill a hole in my house and install the cable. Personally i wanted them to do the install through the addict and use one of the existing non used tv cable lines but they would not....

Ok the wireless modem is $1000 and first month is 699 (10/1) = $1699 I did not have to pay upfront they said they will bill me. Ok the main problem is the antenna on the modem is smaller then one of my body parts. I quickly change it from another modem i had and now the signal is much better. The next problem is the modem config. They used my name as the ssid and a 5 digit password. The ports were also closed. To enter the modem 192.168.1.1 user = admin password=password .....quickly made the changes and i am now testing

Ok slingbox is streaming at the max although it does vary and froze (for about 5 seconds) about 4-5 time in 8 hours.

uploadtruespeed.png

In case you want speedtest images. I really dont have much use for them!

1499067180.png

1499068426.png

uttoren all over the place

torrenttrue.png

torrent2.png

Uttorent was averaging 700-800 with burst to 900.....When my 3bb (9mb) was working i could get 1mb+. My 3bb had a problem and was never fixed correctly after 4 service calls. I still have the 3bb line....

Overall it is early in the game as i am the only one in the village to have the cable installed. Pages are definitely loading faster then 3bb and uploads are really good now

Of course the price is excellent :)

i see you use slingbox in usa right?? i can have that, cost me 5000 bath in mnd,so u gett movie ch and evry thing????

The IP address above doesn't work. Can't say I've seen those numbers before... Where did you get it?

True proxy IPs

203.144.144.164/166

I use these regularly; switching between them from time to time.

Yea, I couldn't get the the IP address to work either...I thought it was the right one.. Safer just to use the layman's names of proxy.trueinternet.co.th and proxy.asianet.co.th. Cheers.

Two small things...

1. doing so will result in sites like Speedtest.net producing real, reasonably accurate test results for your True connection, as opposed to the bogus ones produced when not using their proxy...

2. for some reason, a few U.S. govt sites are inaccessible via True with their normal setup... When turning on their proxy, those sites become accessible again... Probably some kind of glitch in the way things are set up.

someone correct me if I am wrong. Using a proxie is the same as going through another server? Normally you go

a to b. with a proxie you go a to c to b. I have used proxie (public) and they are for the most part always slow.

I am not sure proxies and speedtest is any real speed indication. For me real downloads are the true test.

Yankee, you raise a couple different issues above...

1... Re proxies, there are public ones, which can be used by anyone and operated by anyone under who knows what circumstances, and then there are private or limited proxies... The proxy I use, for example, is user ID and password protected and only available to paid subscribers of a particular well-reputed ISP that I have an account with.

The True proxy is somewhat similar, in that it would not work/function if someone was trying to use it without having an underlying True internet connection.

2. Re speed tests, for True internet customers who don't use a proxy, the test results produced by a site like Speedtest.net are patently false, because they're only measuring the speed from the user to True's servers in Bangkok... no matter where the test says it's connecting to.

However, other speed tests, or Speedtest.net test used with True's proxy, do provide reasonably accurate results for what they're measuring... which is a narrow slice of speed/timing for a single thread download/upload.

If anyone ever monitors their internet speeds on True in real time, you won't see a steady consistent speed being produced, but rather, a continuing series of ups and downs of speed. So when you run a series of real speed tests one after another after another, it's quite likely the results will be markedly different, depending on whether the test is catching the connection on a peak or dip of speed.

That said, there are measuring results that will give you an average speed over a much more extended period of time compared to a traditional web-based speed test, which probably provide a more accurate, realistic result for a person's connection.

Also, as has been noted before, traditional web-based speed tests don't take into consideration multi-threaded downloading, since they only measure a single file or files going up and down the connection.

Just got a piece of info from True Saleperson at Big C Hangdong. The service going to available at HangDong area another 10+ days. Eagerly looking forward for it

Just make another call to the True Saleperson at Big C HangDong. Service still at available yet at my area. :(

Anyone nearby Hangdong got this Internet service?

Well..... I am gutted.... went to the True shop at Bangna, and arranged for the installation of the Cable 30/3 connection and they said "no problem"... found my house on their map thing, and I thought laugh.gif... happy bunny.

5 days later their engineer turns up, I open the gate and you know what..... He says "can not"...... what do you mean can not.... sorry sir you are more than 100 meters from access point, so can not.....

So am absolutely gutted about that was looking forward to it... All over a few meters of cable..... TBF the salespeople really shouldn't have got my hopes up.

Usually it goes the opposite direction with True Online...

On the phone or in shop, they tell you they CAN"T serve your home....and later if you really pursue it... they discover in fact they can...

You might ask them...if you haven't already... can they run the extra length of cable to your home, or do whatever else is needed, if you're willing to pay extra for the install.... At least, you'd get an idea of what if anything is possible...

Failing that, the alternative might be True DSL...which works pretty well even with their lower priced plans in the 8 to 10 Mbps range...

As the speed ratings of the various plans, and their prices rise, most of the incremental gain is only occurring with local/domestic connections...

Once you get into the international connections realm, paying extra for a 30 Mbps cable plan isn't going to get you double the international connection speed, at least for single threads, of a 16 Mbps cable connection.... Though it would give you added capacity for multi-threaded downloading... All depends on your needs and uses.

In Bangna... you ought to have at least some options...

Usually it goes the opposite direction with True Online...

On the phone or in shop, they tell you they CAN"T serve your home....and later if you really pursue it... they discover in fact they can...

You might ask them...if you haven't already... can they run the extra length of cable to your home, or do whatever else is needed, if you're willing to pay extra for the install.... At least, you'd get an idea of what if anything is possible...

It definitely couldn't hurt to press the issue again, but extending a cable TV/internet line is more difficult than extending a phone/ADSL line. A cable TV/internet line is completely different type of cable compared to a phone/ADSL line. Preaching to the choir I know...this response really just for others.

Where phone line is really nothing more than a twisted pair of small, solid copper wires with outdoor type insulation a cable TV/internet trunk line is P3500 Radio Frequency (RF) cable with a diameter of appox your pinky finger, solid aluminum shielding, stiff like a PVC water pipe (but still somewhat bendable/somewhat flexible), and my guess only installed by contractors versus everyday True technicians. I know when they installed the trunk line in my moobaan it was contractors who did it. And this cable TV/internet line has amplifiers, special connectors, tap points, etc., along the line....definitely not quick and cheap to install. The line that runs from the P3500 trunk line is standard RG11 cable (looks like RG6 TV cable about the diameter of a pencil....RG11 has lower attenuation than RG6) ) and is hooked to a "tap point" on the trunk line. See Post #122 for some pictures of cable TV/internet trunk line components on the poles running up and down the sois in my moobaan. The only type of line that everyday True techs install is probably the RG11 running from the tap point to the residence.

Now, I think the 100 meter limit we keep hearing about is the max length from a trunk line "tap point" to your residence....that is the run of the RG11 line. So if a person is thinking about getting cable internet and thinks cable TV capability may be in the area, he might want to look on the poles near his residence to see if he can spot any line/devices like shown in Post #122, especially, a "tap point" where the RG11 line is hooked/tapped into the trunk line and the other end of the RG11 cable is run to your residence/cable modem. Now a tap point is for cable TV and/or cable internet, so just seeing a tap point don't mean the line is provisioned to also carry internet....maybe the line is only carrying TV signals.

There may be some phone trunk lines on the poles also which are also about the diameter of a finger and have many twisted pairs of phone lines inside....so try not to confuse any multipair phone trunk lines with cable TV/internet lines.....but maybe your area is just 10,000 individual phone lines strunk on poles like spagetti. If any trunk lines run to devices like shown in Post #122 then it's probably a cable TV/internet trunk line.

Seeing if a cable TV/internet trunk line can be spotted on the poles might help some folks determine if TrueOnline cable internet might be available near their residence....look for some "tap points" on the cable TV/internet trunk line and then guesstimate the distance from that tap point to your residence....if less than 100 meters a person just might be able to get TrueOnline cable internet if, repeat, if the trunk line is also provisioned to handle internet. Good luck. I've been on my TrueOnline cable 20Mb/2Mb plan for approx 3.5 months now and other than one 8-hour period about two weeks ago when I lost both cable TV and internet due to supposedly a wide area outage in my part of western Bangkok, the 20Mb/2Mb plan has been rock solid and fast....I'm happy.

Another somewhat simpler way of pursuing the idea Pib mentioned above is to do the following:

Instead of talking to True Online, first call and talk to TrueVisions and ask if they can serve your home with their cable TV....

If they check your address and say CANNOT, they you know for certain you can't get True cable internet... since the cable internet arrives via the same cabling into your house as the cable TV service.

But if TrueVisions says yes they CAN, then I'd head back for True Online and re-engage the discussion. There will be some places where you can get cable TV but still can't get cable internet... But it's probably more common that places that can get True cable TV also can get the True Online cable internet.

It's a simple way of trying to double-check the advice you got from True Online.

Hi Pib,

Below device is just right outside my house. I suppose it is a Signal Tap Point & FeedThrough belong toTrue Cable internet right?

truecable111.jpg

Yeap, that's a signal tap for cable TV/internet. Those 4 little screw-on, silver colored connectors are 75 ohm loads. To connect to above tap, the True tech will unscrew the 75 ohm load, put a screw-on connector onto a RG11 cable, and run the RG11 cable to your residence where it is hooked up to the cable modem and/or TV. If installing cable TV "and" internet they will actually split the signal within your residence....one line running to your TV(s) and the other line running to your cable modem.

As FYI only, those two black pieces of tubing on each side of the tap is heat shrink tubing, which has not been heated-up/shrunk to help keep water/moisture out of the cable connectors. When they installed the trunk line in my moobaan over a l.....o.......n......g six month period I noticed they installed the tubing the same way as shown in above picture and I thought to myself that not a very good way to keep water out as the tubing just loosely fits over the connector. But just before they went operational, there were two guys who came around with a battery-powered wax gun and used that heated gun to rub against the tubing/heat it up so it shrunk tightly around the connectors (no wax was used)....I'm guessing there were approx 400 taps, amplifiers, various connector they did this too. Don't know why they did not shrink the tubing when initially installed all the taps/connectors/amplifiers/etc.,....guess that would have been too efficient....or it just helped to employee two more guys for an additional two weeks or so as I saw these two guys in the moobaan for approx two weeks just climbing poles again to heat and shrink the tubing. I expect during the acceptance review that True would not accept the installation until the heat shrink tubing was shrunk to help keep out water. The installers sure didn't need to leave the tubing unshrunk in case of needing to break the line for power testing as they did power testing by hooking into the screw-on taps...I saw them doing this testing....another case of two different guys going up and down poles for a week in final testing/installation. Yeap, watching the installation of the trunk line in my moobaan left me with a lot of head scratching as to why things were done in such a way that appeared to me to be really, really inefficient....buy hey, maybe there was good reasons for taking 6 months to do a 1-2 month job.

Thank Pib for the explanation

I was lucky today. True was sending their ground crew sale team distributing leaflet and application form around my housing village. Was able to spoke to a sale person and filled up the application form. He told me the service will be available mid of this month. Good New.

I was lucky today. True was sending their ground crew sale team distributing leaflet and application form around my housing village. Was able to spoke to a sale person and filled up the application form. He told me the service will be available mid of this month. Good New.

I hope it is available by mid month, but when they were installing the system in my moobaan the salespersons (who setup weekend sales booths in the moobaan) said the system would go operational in mid March but it didn't and many people in the moobaan were none too happy. The system ended up going operational in mid June. Yeap, going operational in this case went by Thai time which seems to follow the rule of making a late entry is very fashionable....the thing to do...will show up at 10am but shows up at 1pm....will be finished on Monday really means will be done a few days later....you get the idea....preaching to the choir I'm sure.

Don't know what speed you signed up for....but say you signed up for the 20Mb/2Mb plan please don't think you'll be getting 20Mb speed to the U.S./Europe....from testing/posts by different members it seems the real world international speed you will get to the U.S./Europe will be in the 3-6Mb ballpark whether you are on the 10Mb or 20Mb plan....and I wouldn't be surprised that this same international speed limitation/throttle/etc., applies to all the TrueOnline Cable internet plans in the 7Mb to 100Mb range (and probably ditto for their xADSL plans in the 6Mb to 50Mb range). That international bandwidth limitation is there regardless of the plan you sign up for. If you are a torrent user maybe in multi-streams/using a download manager you will get faster international speed to certain servers. As with all internet plans the advertised speed is the local speed you should get.

Edited by Pib

I hope it is available by mid month, but when they were installing the system in my moobaan the salespersons (who setup weekend sales booths in the moobaan) said the system would go operational in mid March but it didn't and many people in the moobaan were none too happy. The system ended up going operational in mid June. Yeap, going operational in this case went by Thai time which seems to follow the rule of making a late entry is very fashionable....the thing to do...will show up at 10am but shows up at 1pm....will be finished on Monday really means will be done a few days later....you get the idea....preaching to the choir I'm sure.

Don't know what speed you signed up for....but say you signed up for the 20Mb/2Mb plan please don't think you'll be getting 20Mb speed to the U.S./Europe....from testing/posts by different members it seems the real world international speed you will get to the U.S./Europe will be in the 3-6Mb ballpark whether you are on the 10Mb or 20Mb plan....and I wouldn't be surprised that this same international speed limitation/throttle/etc., applies to all the TrueOnline Cable internet plans in the 7Mb to 100Mb range (and probably ditto for their xADSL plans in the 6Mb to 50Mb range). That international bandwidth limitation is there regardless of the plan you sign up for. If you are a torrent user maybe in multi-streams/using a download manager you will get faster international speed to certain servers. As with all internet plans the advertised speed is the local speed you should get.

Hi Pib,

True did setup weekend sale booths at my mooban on June this year. During that time, they told me service will operational around Sept/Oct. Yesterday was different than those sale booth. A team of 3-4 saleperson going around the mooban. They bring along application form, leaflet and going around each house and talk to resident there. The sale person was confident that it will be available start mid of Oct. He also leave his name and contact number in the top portion of the form. I have higher hope the server operational (in Thai Time) will not drag for another few months.

About the international link, I am aware every ISP throttled the speed and the published speed is for Thai content. I am happy I can achieve 3-6Mb with the price I paid. Back at my home country, a 1mb link is more expensive than 10mn/1mb package here. "Facepalm"