Denied Tourist Visa In Laos.

The website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs says this:

Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary.

If I were a "genuine" tourist with already several back-to-back visas and wanted to spend some more time in Thailand, I would enclose a letter addressed to His excellency The Consul with my application in Vientiane. In this letter I would explain why I wished to stay longer in Thailand than the average tourist probably does, eg I appreciate Thailand's warm climate, I love Thai food, I am impressed by the excellent and friendly service wherever I go in Thailand such as national parks and other tourist sites, restaurants, hotels, shops, etc. Next I would assure His Excellency that I do not work in Thailand, that I cover my living and travelling expenses with money I transfer from abroad to my bank account in Thailand or withdraw in cash from my foreign bank account with credit/debit card and enclose supporting documents (Thai bank's credit advice for incoming remittances and/or ATM withdrawal slips). Optionally, I would wax ecstatic about the various places I visited in Thailand during the period of stay afforded me by my last visa (enclose photos, copies of hotel receipts, etc.) and give an idea of what I planned to do during my visit with the new visa. I would close my letter with an offer to provide any additional information that His Excellency might require for the evaluation and approval of my visa application.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like plenty of candidates to be Richard's secretary in Laos. Don't hesitate to apply. whistling.gif

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you are a "tourist: then you live somewhere else, not Thailand. If you are living here (regardless of work or any other encumberance such as a GF, wife or BF) then you need to sort out the proper type of visa for you. There is always the ED option if nothing else quite fits.

Just head over to Suvannakhet and enter through Mukhdahan.

Can you scan and post the page in your passport so we can see please?

I will when I get settled back in CM. No problem.

I wasn't aware there was a Thai embassy there... Wouldn't they see my passport and guess I'd just been unsuccessful in Vientienne? Guess it's a moot point since I'm 2 hours from Poipet right now...But good to know for the future.

Yes actually the Thai embassy in Suvannakhet is a GREAT place for a visa. Nice friendly staff that can speak English and very helpful. Across the road is where you fill out your forms and the people at the shop help you quite well for 30 baht. They never questioned my previous tourist visas in Vientiene. Nice cheap hotels close by etc

To many people who post here; Many of us who actually LIVE here find ourselves between jobs sometimes and need to apply for a tourist visa in order to look for a new job to get the proper "B" visa and Work Permit again so by putting people down here who see back to back tourist visas is not very nice. It's funny how so many people on their high horses do this and forget their first trips to Thailand and what they had to go through. Give the guy a break man and try to HELP instead of calling him down for NOT being a real tourist.

PS, Over the years it has changed from different Thai Consulits around SEA and one year it might be that Phnom Penh is the flavour of the year for issuing visas then the next year was Penang, then Vientiene but for me I tried PP last month and would NOT reccommend it by yourself but to use the visa companies is ok. Also as I have mentioned for me Suvannakhet is the flavour now.

Edited by thailandbluegrass

Hi,

I am a tad worried with alot of people getting refused double entries in Laos as i'm due to go there with 2 double entries in my passport.I was just thinking, could it have anything to do with the paperwork that people present to the consulate staff, ie, a marriage certificate or house documents?.

Could anyone tell me the basic paperwork that is required please?

Thank you in advance,

James.

Hi,

I am a tad worried with alot of people getting refused double entries in Laos as i'm due to go there with 2 double entries in my passport.I was just thinking, could it have anything to do with the paperwork that people present to the consulate staff, ie, a marriage certificate or house documents?.

Could anyone tell me the basic paperwork that is required please?

Thank you in advance,

James.

Sorry guys, im not talking top myself just couldnt see the edit button on my post.

Its getting nearly time for me to leave to Laos by train this evening and was hoping someone could kindly answer my questions given i have 2 double entries in my passport:

1. what does the person do if denied a double visa? I mean just go back to the border and get 15 days?

2. What paperwork is needed these days to get a double entry? would showing marriage certificate, wifes ID and house book be a bad idea?

3. Are all people with previous double entries being denied now?

Hopefully someone could give me bit of advice.

Many, many thanks in advance,

James.

Yes actually the Thai embassy in Suvannakhet is a GREAT place for a visa. Nice friendly staff that can speak English and very helpful. Across the road is where you fill out your forms and the people at the shop help you quite well for 30 baht. They never questioned my previous tourist visas in Vientiene. Nice cheap hotels close by etc

To many people who post here; Many of us who actually LIVE here find ourselves between jobs sometimes and need to apply for a tourist visa in order to look for a new job to get the proper "B" visa and Work Permit again so by putting people down here who see back to back tourist visas is not very nice. It's funny how so many people on their high horses do this and forget their first trips to Thailand and what they had to go through. Give the guy a break man and try to HELP instead of calling him down for NOT being a real tourist.

PS, Over the years it has changed from different Thai Consulits around SEA and one year it might be that Phnom Penh is the flavour of the year for issuing visas then the next year was Penang, then Vientiene but for me I tried PP last month and would NOT reccommend it by yourself but to use the visa companies is ok. Also as I have mentioned for me Suvannakhet is the flavour now.

tbg ---- the point is, if you actually LIVE in Thailand, the tourist visa is not appropriate. Multiple back to back tourist visas tend to indicate to the staff at an embassy or consulate that you do actually LIVE in Thailand. If you do then they want you to have the correct visa.

james --- that being said (the above) I cannot see how presenting a marriage certificate helps your cause for a tourist visa. You should probably look into getting a non-imm-o

But there was a change in the law a couple years ago. Before that, you could only have a maximum 30 days exemption with a possible 1 week extension and after that you had to stay out of the kingdom for a while.

A couple years ago they changed it to no restrictions on re-entry. You can perpetually leave the country every 4 weeks and re-enter, get a stamp, do the same thing 4 weeks later etc. ad infinitum.

The same thing applies over land...2 weeks, leave, come back...2 weeks etc. etc. etc.

I do it all the time. They never ask me if I am a real tourist or just a pretend tourist.

Now....why would they change the law and then try to stop some people from doing it, and allow others(like me) to re-enter multiple times?

I guess the question is rhetorical because nobody here can answer it.

an thai border official at myanmar golden triangle border told me you can do that 3 times in a row, then u need a visa to re-enter thailand. i am german. maybe this applies to germans ?

Edited by FlyingSaucer

Now such rule exist. Of course immigration can always deny you entry, with our without a visa.

If you stay in Thailand long time on tourist visas or visa exempt entries they can question you about the reason for your stay in Thailand and make sure you are not for instance working.

Now such rule exist. Of course immigration can always deny you entry, with our without a visa.

If you stay in Thailand long time on tourist visas or visa exempt entries they can question you about the reason for your stay in Thailand and make sure you are not for instance working.

You're wrong Mario. They changed it a couple years ago. There is absolutely no limit on back-to-back tourist visa-exempt stamps now.

You're wrong Mario. They changed it a couple years ago. There is absolutely no limit on back-to-back tourist visa-exempt stamps now.

He didn't say there was a rule. He said you can be denied entry regardless of the possession of a visa or not.

He didn't say there was a rule. He said you can be denied entry regardless of the possession of a visa or not.

He said "No such rule exists." He's wrong. There is a rule and there was an official announcement from Thai Immigration when it went into effect.

Yes, you can still be denied entry by an officer but the rule does exist. You can have an infinite number of back-to-back visa exempt stamps.

...Could anyone tell me the basic paperwork that is required please?...

The basic requirements, from the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

TOURIST VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

3. VISA FEE

1,000 Baht per entry

(Visa fee may be changed without prior notice)

As you can see under number 1, if the consular offcial suspects that you might not be using the visa for tourism purposes, he can refuse the visa.

Just returned from Vientienne

I too was refused a Tourist visa (single or double)

Too many back to back

That is the bad news

Here is the good news lol

The exact same reason I was refused a tourist visa is the same why I qualified for a non immigrant single entry visa

So instead of panicking just get a new form and apply for a non o

My guess is that the non o costs 2000bt and the embasssy have to make their money somehow lol

In the end it will cost only 100bt more for 3 months

Tourist Visa(60 days) free plus extention (30 days) 1900= 1900

Non immig O 2000 (90 days)= 2000

Btw You won't get a non imm multi entry i tried that and i had the gf with me so that helped

Based on what did you qualify for a non-O visa?

Funnily enough for all the reasons I failed to get a tourist visa lol

Like I said I did have the TGF with me and that helped

so having too many back to back tourist visas qualifies you for a non-imm O visa?

Based on what did you qualify for a non-O visa?

Funnily enough for all the reasons I failed to get a tourist visa lol

Like I said I did have the TGF with me and that helped

so having too many back to back tourist visas qualifies you for a non-imm O visa?

I would imagine that you would be qualified, but that still doesn't mean that the staff want the extra work. They're not getting the 2000baht fee at the moment for tourist visas, and I do wonder whether this issue will just go away after the end of March when they start charging again. I know when I went to Vientiane a week or so into the free period they were still charging. I put this down to the communication of departments and one hand not knowing what the other is doing, but now I'm inclined to think it's just about money. I don't know if customer facing staff benefit from this directly or not, or whether it's influence from higher up. We'll learn soon enough though.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk of the back to back issue as I've heard of lots of people being refused (and some allowed) their 4th back to back tourist double sixty. I was wondering if a nice letter from an Abbot or Cheif of police to kindly let this person get what they request might help or not, since doing unpaid assistance, or learning about something other than language might qualify for one of the other kinds of visa.

[Edited to correct spelling mistake]

Edited by Shiver

• 3 weeks later...

my friend is on his way back to pattaya (from vientiane). he SMS me, that - after many years of accepting TR Visa - he did not get any more TR Visa. even not a single. he is coming back tonight with 14 days stay and he does not know what to do now. end of the year he will be 50 and things will get better...

regards

Will he be able to qualify for retirement extension of stay? If yes then why not spend a little money on education now and use that as his method to stay until then? If he studies something he is interested in it could be a win/win situation all around.

from pattaya id go to koh kong. there are agents providing at least the single entry for 50 us$. or going to phnom penh, there everyone can get the single entry in one day for 19$ (with agent, just ask at ur hotel).

the agent said he can provide the visa no matter how many visas are already in the passport... payment only if the visa is granted.

you can't complain about the truth, anything more then 6 months = not a tourist.Plenty of options to get your self legal wink.gif

Now explain why they issue triple entry tourist visa'a, with extensions that equal 9 months? Also why this is a more frequent complaint when tv's are free?

The reason for issue is so that travelers can visit/leave/return easily. No tourist visa is intended to be for long term stay - although you may be a tourist for an extended period and use it that way. From my reading most people only got single entry tourist visas prior to the becoming free - and since being free more have received two entry.

from pattaya id go to koh kong. there are agents providing at least the single entry for 50 us$. or going to phnom penh, there everyone can get the single entry in one day for 19$ (with agent, just ask at ur hotel).

the agent said he can provide the visa no matter how many visas are already in the passport... payment only if the visa is granted.

Where is koh kong ? never heard of it ... also isn't the ' free or waived cost ' of TV's finished at the end of February ??

Thanks,.:rolleyes: