New Highway & High Speed Train

Belfastboy

I was reading an article in a UK property magazine, regarding thailand.

They mentioned a "New Highway" between Bnagkok and Hua Hin that would take an hour off the journey...

and also a new bullet speed train between Bangkok and Pattaya..

just wondering does anybody know anymore about this and when each is due for completion...

sounds too good to be true if im honest..

if there is no unexpected delay....

As someone said it is normal for such megaprojects to be delayed.....

So don't stick on 2158......

Contracts and the first 10 billion Baht have already been handed out for the first stage of the Bullet Train. Completion date is estimated to be 2158. :o  :D

There was an idea to build an overwater route to Hua Hin and some money was spent on a study but that has been put back where it will not see daylight again for a long time if recent reports are true.

The bullet to Pattaya is a new one on me but look at the distance (2 hours by car) and the type of traveller (not exactly expense account types and very few Thai) and believe you can figure out the answer to that one too.

and also a new bullet speed train between Bangkok and Pattaya..

Only thing I can think of that would remotely match this description is the high-speed train link between the new airport and Bangkok town.

As lopburi3 says, the highway-over-the-sea to Hua Hin idea is dead for now, but who knows if and when it may be dusted off again. After all, the Kra canal idea has reared its head every few years for the past hundred plus years...

What I had heard was that there was going to be a new hyper link between the new airport and BKK using the existing line as far as Chachoengsao.

In addition to this they were going to upgrade the existing line to a highspeed dual rail line from Chachoensao through to Rayong and beyond so it would eventually cover all of the Eastern Seaboard but this was going to be used mainly for freight. Although there would be services for tourists they would be fairly minimal.

This makes more sense as the Eastern Seaboard is the manufacturing hotbed which is a little stuck out on a limb at the moment, (Just look at the traffic on the Bang Na - Trad highway at times!) and a decent rail connection would help massively in the transporting of goods between the factories, sea port, and the airport.