Abhisit Ready For Political Debate With Yingluck

Lite Beer

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Singapore rates lower on the Democracy Index (both flawed democracies) than Thailand does. That being said ... it has nothing to do with the question of a debate :)

while i would not want to live in Singapore I visit often for business and i think many here and elsewhere would really welcome their peaceful safe life although for me to antiseptic. Id take Singapore's democracy any day against Thailand's constant coup's total corruption and divides and doubt very much if a meglomaniac 100% corrupt and dangerous man like Mr Taksin would ever get the chance to totally ruin a beutiful country like mugabwie idi amin hitler and so many before him have done. Sadly if he gets the chance people who have to stay here will understand much to late since damage will have been done.

Nah .. Singapore is controlled by an entirely different megalomaniac that wouldn't give a new megalomaniac on the block the chance to take over :)

I think Singapore rates lower on the Democracy Index (both flawed democracies) than Thailand does. That being said ... it has nothing to do with the question of a debate :)

while i would not want to live in Singapore I visit often for business and i think many here and elsewhere would really welcome their peaceful safe life although for me to antiseptic. Id take Singapore's democracy any day against Thailand's constant coup's total corruption and divides and doubt very much if a meglomaniac 100% corrupt and dangerous man like Mr Taksin would ever get the chance to totally ruin a beutiful country like mugabwie idi amin hitler and so many before him have done. Sadly if he gets the chance people who have to stay here will understand much to late since damage will have been done.

Nah .. Singapore is controlled by an entirely different megalomaniac that wouldn't give a new megalomaniac on the block the chance to take over :)

Actually this week after an obvious election set back,

Singapores aged megalo. and his number two emeritus cabinet member quit ,

and finally officially retired in favor of a younger grouping.

Interesting times in Singapore .

Actually this week after an obvious election set back,

Singapores aged megalo. and his number two emeritus cabinet member quit ,

and finally officially retired in favor of a younger grouping.

Interesting times in Singapore .

It was a setback --- but it is Lee Kuan Yew's son Lee Hsieng Loong that stepped into the slot. Lee's political party still took 60%. The main opposition party only won 6 seats I think. The Lee dynasty is secure (and Lee Yew is 87 years old after all!)

Infomative and thoughtful post by Geriatrickid, opposed by a few for the sake of opposing, but certainly one of the best posts among the other snarling, sniping, and not really saying anything new....posts

Scorecard.....your unexpected response......

Reconciliation.....to move the country forward in unison with one single thought to bring brand 'Thailand' to the fore.

Step one, which ever way the people vote....do not have coup.....ignoring the voice of the people will continue to cause division.....

Step two...use the political platform to highlight the fact that all politcal parties actually wish to move in the same direction..to stabilise, enhance and improve life in Thailand for all Thai people

Improve education by gradually removing poor quality teachers, and foreign teaching dinosaurs that bring outdated teaching practices, use modern methods to train new Thai teachers, teachers with enthusiasm and quality computer and on line teaching skills, take this new brand of interesting learning practices right out to the furthest corners of the country, invigorate and educate. Having common themes and ambitions will unite a country

Encourage interesting learning, make on line education standard practice, become current and move with the times

Deliver an improvement in general medical health knowledge and issues, diet

Move quickly to expand the information highways to assist in the delivery of the above, and waste no further time time to be leading not following

Live up to the promise of raising the minimum wage, people with money in their pocket are generally more amenable

Invest in the rail infrastructure for Thailand, the link from China to Singapore must also serve to increase supply lines for Thai exports, build a substantial network to attach and resurect the economies of the rural communities.

But above all for true reconciliation scorecard do not ask the opinion of a foreigner........

Ask the people of Thailand...... :D

There should be a debate but about what? and who would choose the topics?

For me the most important subject's would be

1. Reconciliation in Thaiand!

2. The war with Cambodia! or fighting with Cambodia.

Jingluck already indicated Reconciliation is important.

To quote from BBC.

"Yingluck Shinawatra, bidding to become the first ever female prime minister of Thailand, said she planned to use her attributes

as a woman to promote national reconciliation and asked for the chance to prove herself. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13409287

What do you think? what are the real most important topics that neeeed debating on at the moment?

No bashing just serious thoughts, you notice no bashing in my post?

OK, here's my addition:

3. The economy... oil & food prices are quite vulnerable at the moment & could skyrocket at any time. Also, the exchange rates with the dollar, euro, pound & the yuan are a matter of some concern.

4. Corruption... it cannot be eliminated overnight, but how can it be reduced over time?

5. The LM laws. Even if you think that they are necessary, how can they be reformed so as to not be used as a political tool?

6. Land reform... Anand's committee had some interesting recommendations.

Some of these are real hot-button issues for people in all of the political parties.

Infomative and thoughtful post by Geriatrickid, opposed by a few for the sake of opposing, but certainly one of the best posts among the other snarling, sniping, and not really saying anything new....posts

Scorecard.....your unexpected response......

Reconciliation.....to move the country forward in unison with one single thought to bring brand 'Thailand' to the fore.

Step one, which ever way the people vote....do not have coup.....ignoring the voice of the people will continue to cause division.....

Step two...use the political platform to highlight the fact that all politcal parties actually wish to move in the same direction..to stabilise, enhance and improve life in Thailand for all Thai people

Improve education by gradually removing poor quality teachers, and foreign teaching dinosaurs that bring outdated teaching practices, use modern methods to train new Thai teachers, teachers with enthusiasm and quality computer and on line teaching skills, take this new brand of interesting learning practices right out to the furthest corners of the country, invigorate and educate. Having common themes and ambitions will unite a country

Encourage interesting learning, make on line education standard practice, become current and move with the times

Deliver an improvement in general medical health knowledge and issues, diet

Move quickly to expand the information highways to assist in the delivery of the above, and waste no further time time to be leading not following

Live up to the promise of raising the minimum wage, people with money in their pocket are generally more amenable

Invest in the rail infrastructure for Thailand, the link from China to Singapore must also serve to increase supply lines for Thai exports, build a substantial network to attach and resurect the economies of the rural communities.

But above all for true reconciliation scorecard do not ask the opinion of a foreigner........

Ask the people of Thailand...... :D

I would certainly agree with most of your points but I would label them as development, and reducing the gap, and they do need urgent attention.

Somehow I doubt that your average red shirt leaders, sanan, snoh, chalerm, thaksin and many more would call your points 'reconciliation'. I suggest they see reconciliation as 'lets forgive everybody who has committed a crime (including the TRT 111, and lots more), then let's all get back to the feeding trough'.

Edited by scorecard

There should be a debate but about what? and who would choose the topics?

For me the most important subject's would be

Jingluck already indicated Reconciliation is important.

To quote from BBC.

"Yingluck Shinawatra, bidding to become the first ever female prime minister of Thailand, said she planned to use her attributes

as a woman to promote national reconciliation and asked for the chance to prove herself. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13409287

What do you think? what are the real most important topics that neeeed debating on at the moment?

No bashing just serious thoughts, you notice no bashing in my post?

QUOTE" ....................."Yingluck Shinawatra, bidding to become the first ever female prime minister of Thailand, said she planned to use her attributes as a woman to promote national reconciliation and asked for the chance to prove herself. "

love to hear her discuss in detail what she thinks 'reconciliation' means / what needs to be 'reconciled', her specific approach /steps to 'reconciliation'.

Edited by scorecard

Do you think bringing back Thaksin and, particularly, whitewashing his crimes, will help with reconciliation?

news2011-05-18_08-57-23_255405180002_Nattawut2.jpg

Pheu Thai shrugs off PM candidates’ debate

BANGKOK, 18 May 2011 (NNT) – The Pheu Thai Party has shrugged off the ruling Party's challenge for a debate between its prime minister candidate Yingluck Shinawatra and Democrat Party candidate Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Party-listed candidate Natthawut Saikua has turned down the challenge as the Democrat Party views that it can benefit from the debate.

He said it is better to compete in terms of performances because people tend to support his party on account of performances rather than on the outcome of the debate.

Democrat Party Secretary-General Suthep Thaugsuban has recently commented that people will get Ms Yingluck, the nominee of her brother former Prime Minister Dr Thaksin Shinawatra if they choose the Pheu Thai Party.

Mr Natthawut said Mr Suthep made such a comment without assessing the experience of Ms Yingluck in organisational management in conglomerates worth billions of baht.

He pointed out that her experience plus the knowledge of her brother will be a perfect combination to lead the nation out of the crisis it has been in since the coup took place five years ago.

The Pheu Thai candidate also commented that Ms Yingluck indeed will be different from Mr Abhisit, who has been just a puppet of influential power since he has no management experience at all. He added that there has been nothing but news of corruption while Abhisit was in power.

Mr Natthawut then warned the Democrat Party not to interfere with the new government forming process when the Pheu Thai Party wins the majority of seats in the election, if the Democrat Party really sees Mr Abhisit as a competent and unbeatable candidate.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-18 footer_n.gif

He pointed out that her experience plus the knowledge of her brother will be a perfect combination to lead the nation out of the crisis it has been in since the coup took place five years ago.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-18 footer_n.gif

What crisis?

I've only noticed one man's self serving crisis.

Which excuse will she come up with for declining?

:coffee1:

Probably inform him if she is elected PM she will be more than happy to debate politics with him.........as the opposition leader.....:)

Purpose of the suggested debate is to help the electorate decide who is best suited to govern, so what use is it, having it after the election?

You are right, the excuse will be weak and make no sense.

Doing her brother's hair?

Yingluck says no time for debate - for now

Yingluck Shinawatra, a sister of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, said she has no time to participate in a policy debate with Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjjajiva - at least at the moment.

Yingluck, who will contest the July 3 election as Pheu Thai's No-1 party-list candidate, said she will be busy with visiting constituents after registering her candidacy on Thursday.

She said she would visit Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai on May 21 and would inform the constituents about the Pheu Thai's policies.

"I'll need time for election campaigns and meeting the people first because I has just entered politics. There is still enough time [for the debate] and I'll make a decision later," Yingluck said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-18

Singapore is not really a democracy at all. It is essentially a benevolent dictatorship, and yes, it would be a good model for Thailand. The problem is finding a Thai version of Mr. Lee to be the benevolent dictator. Thaksin wanted to be dictator, but the problem is he was an evil tyrant rather than the benevolent man that makes such a system acceptable to the people.

The experience of Ms Yingluck in organisational management in conglomerates worth billions of baht.

Possibly I stand to be corrected, however I was, and I still am under the impression that large conglomerates worth millions of baht actually employed financial consultants and management experts to actually run those sensitive areas of the company .

Yet it would seem as if the good lady Yingluck is indeed a multi talented, multi tasking expert in all fields on management according to the comments made by the worthy Mr Natthawut.

No doubt due to the following

Yingluck Shinawatra, a sister of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, said she has no time to participate in a policy debate with Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjjajiva - at least at the moment.

Yingluck, who will contest the July 3 election as Pheu Thai's No-1 party-list candidate, said she will be busy with visiting constituents after registering her candidacy on Thursday.

She said she would visit Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai on May 21 and would inform the constituents about the Pheu Thai's policies.

"I'll need time for election campaigns and meeting the people first because I has just entered politics. There is still enough time [for the debate] and I'll make a decision later," Yingluck said.

The conglomerates must surely be at risk as the steering hand of the skipper Ms. Yingluck is off the tiller ?

What will be the situation should the good lady become Prime Minister of Thailand ?

Will the conglomerates melt away as snow and ice do in warm temperatures ?

Where will her loyalties and priorities be, '' country or conglomerate ?''

I seem to recall from the not to distant past a certain Prime Minister who prioritized his own company rather than the country.

For such sacrifices as he and his family had made for the good of the country he encouraged parliament to legislate for a tax break and a bargain price for a piece of land for his long suffering spouse as a charitable act of appreciation for his efforts and the sacrifices his wife had made for the country. The other taxpayers were asked to pay up to help the country's economy and to show their heartfelt gratitude for the services of the then Prime minister and his wife.

Well I suppose , ''charity begins at home.''.

Edited by siampolee

The experience of Ms Yingluck in organisational management in conglomerates worth billions of baht.

Possibly I stand to be corrected, however I was, and I still am under the impression that large conglomerates worth millions of baht actually employed financial consultants and management experts to actually run those sensitive areas of the company .

Yet it would seem as if the good lady Yingluck is indeed a multi talented, multi tasking expert in all fields on management according to the comments made by the worthy Mr Natthawut.

No doubt due to the following

The conglomerates must surely be at risk as the steering hand of the skipper Ms. Yingluck is off the tiller ?

What will be the situation should the good lady become Prime Minister of Thailand ?

Will the conglomerates melt away as snow and ice do in warm temperatures ?

They could do like what Temasek did after they acquired Thaksin's AIS... they simply eliminated the job she was supposedly doing and that she had simply created on her own when she began working there:

AIS to abolish president's post

Advanced Info Service will eliminate the president's position that is being vacated by Yingluck Shinawatra, the sister of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, according to a company source.

The source said the decision was made by the Singaporean state investment company Temasek Holdings after taking over AIS's parent company, Shin Corporation.

Ms Yingluck had been the president of AIS since the post was created five years ago on her initiative, the source said.

She will be a fine debater. They make ear pieces now that are so inconspicuous that no one will see. Ask george bush for the name of his supplier.

Of course they also make radio frequency scanners, targeted jammers,

a focused narrow beam antennas, that can over ride or scramble with white noise.

Oops, should have drilled facts harder.

Do you think bringing back Thaksin and, particularly, whitewashing his crimes, will help with reconciliation?

I think first I would have to accept that there is a likelyhood of that happening.........I'll let others debate and worry about conjecture......

I think first I would have to accept that there is a likelyhood of that happening.........I'll let others debate and worry about conjecture......

You don't think the PTP will try to do that if they get into power?

People who support the red shirts are, in fact, supporting bringing back Thaksin and white washing his crimes.

The people that support the PTP (ie the red shirts) are supporting the PTP policies. One of the main aims of the PTP is to bring back Thaksin and to make sure he doesn't spend any time in jail.

Just the fact that the PTP will *try* to bring back Thaksin will not help with reconciliation. Just the fact that the PTP are talking about bringing back Thaksin will not help with reconciliation.

"Sorry, I can't debate you publicly because I have no relevant experience other than doing what my big brother tells me to. Yes, I know I am being tapped to be the PM candidate for one of the two strongest political parties in Thailand, but please ... remember our motto! "Thaksin thinks ....."

Before every election all the TV channels invite the leading members of each party to debate their policies. If Yinglak refuses to go they should put a puppet in the chair reserved for the Pheua Thai member in the TV studio.

It's that time of the election again.

Get that chair ready.

We'll know if a puppet gets placed in it by June 17th.

Edited by Buchholz

P-NET to hold TV debates for PM hopefuls on June 23-24

BANGKOK, 21 May 2011 (NNT) – The People’s Network for Election in Thailand (P-NET) is prepared to arrange debates for Number 1 Party-list candidates of the contesting political parties on 23 and 24 June, now pending only responses from the debaters.

P-NET executive member Varin Thiemjaras announced that the network would hold a two-day political debate ahead of the election, on 23 and 24 June from 9.00-12.00 hrs at Sripatum University with a live broadcast on television.

The objective of the debate is to provide an opportunity for prime minister hopefuls to present their visions and policies while showing their problem-solving and leadership skills to eligible voters for consideration.

Mr Varin revealed that six medium-sized political parties, which were deemed as potential role players in the formation of the next government, would be invited to participate on the first day. Each party will be given five questions and will be allowed to spend up to five minutes to answer each of them.

One of the five questions will come from the Thai people.

As for the last-day debate, the top party-list candidates of the two giant parties, Pheu Thai and Democrat, would be invited along with two companions on each side.

They will have to answer five questions from academics from various branches within a time limit of ten minutes each.

However, P-NET is awaiting confirmation from all the participants, and the deadline for their replies is set on 17 June.

If either the Pheu Thai or the Democrat Parties chooses to turn down the invitation, the debate on 24 June will be canceled.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-21 footer_n.gif

The objective of the debate is to provide an opportunity for prime minister hopefuls to present their visions and policies while showing their problem-solving and leadership skills to eligible voters for consideration.

The same points made repeatedly in this thread that are reinforced by the PNET objectives.

If Yingluck flat out refuses to debate, it reflects her shortcomings in those critical areas.

Edited by Buchholz

It's good to see this plan to hold some kind of debate progressing, after Pheu Thai and Yingluck had declined The Democrats' offer of a debate. Abhisit will surely participate. If Yingluck declines this one then I hope her excuses will be heavily publicized and criticized - it will be an indication of what kind of leader she would be if elected as Prime Minister - e.g. if something's too difficult, avoid it.

Edited by hyperdimension

It's good to see this plan to hold some kind of debate progressing, after Pheu Thai and Yingluck had declined The Democrats' offer of a debate. Abhisit will surely participate. If Yingluck declines this one then I hope her excuses will be heavily publicized and criticized - it will be an indication of what kind of leader she would be if elected as Prime Minister - e.g. if something's too difficult, avoid it.

She has a month to listen to the voters and prepare......I think she will.......

She has a month to listen to the voters and prepare......I think she will.......

But "Thaksin Thinks, and Pheu Thai Does", so why bother listening to the voters ?

Personally I'd be encouraged to see some sign that she does have her own opinions & policies, and might be able to 'do a Samak', if elected ... but I'm not holding my breath so far.

There should be some hard remarks flying from BOTH sides in a debate/campaign that is this critical to Thailand;s future. Even with 2 people at Yingluck's shoulder I don't think she could hold up her end. The sad thing is, we may never know if I am right or wrong about it.

The same points made repeatedly in this thread that are reinforced by the PNET objectives.

If Yingluck flat out refuses to debate, it reflects her shortcomings in those critical areas.

There are so many threads about Yingluck, I don't get the impression that she is hiding somewhere or escaping journalists.