Bangkok Named World’s Best City 2011 By Leading Travel Magazine

webfact

Bangkok named World’s Best City 2011 by leading travel magazine

image_20110708185216099750F8-B2C0-C6AA-452B437FAD072D3D.jpg

BANGKOK, July 9 -- Travel + Leisure Magazine has released its 2011 “World’s Best” list, with Bangkok voted as the top city in the world in the annual poll voted on by the American luxury travel magazine's readers, according to Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra.

Ranked top in both the World and Asia, scoring 90.49, Bangkok retains its number one ranking in the world for a second consecutive year after it was voted to Best City in 2008 and 2010.

In voting to choose the World's Best City, respondents were asked to rate sights, culture and the arts, restaurants and food, people, shopping, and value.

The results of Travel + Leisure’s 16th annual World’s Best Awards survey revealing readers’ favourite hotels, cities, islands, cruise lines, airlines, car-rental agencies, spas, and tour operators and safari outfitters.

Rounding out the top 10 on the "World's Best City" list are Florence, Rome, New York City, Istanbul, Cape Town, Siem Reap (Cambodia), Sydney, Barcelona and Paris.

In addition, the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok was voted the number one of Top City Hotel Award, The Peninsula was voted number four, and the Shangri-La number 19.

The top winners in each category will be honored at an awards ceremony on July 14 hosted by Editor in Chief Nancy Novogrod and VP/Publisher Jean-Paul Kyrillos at the new Mr C Beverly Hills Hotel in Los Angeles.

Gov Sukhumbhand will travel to New York to receive the award himself. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-07-09

The holy bible of travel magazines... "Travel & Leisure Magazine". Do me a favour. At least visit Bangkok before giving it an award. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place in small doses but best in the world? Istanbul also? They must have been on drugs when they were writing this up. It's as if they have google imaged the cities on the list and looked to see what attractions they have. Also, if they voted on the "people" of the city, New York wouldn't be in the top 100 let alone top 10. Notice how the award ceremony is held in L.A. Not even in the top 10. Well done Travel & Leisure Magazine. A real waste of your time.

CalzoHoudini, What great city are you from? The people of New York are what makes it N.Y.

The holy bible of travel magazines... "Travel & Leisure Magazine". Do me a favour. At least visit Bangkok before giving it an award. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place in small doses but best in the world? Istanbul also? They must have been on drugs when they were writing this up. It's as if they have google imaged the cities on the list and looked to see what attractions they have. Also, if they voted on the "people" of the city, New York wouldn't be in the top 100 let alone top 10. Notice how the award ceremony is held in L.A. Not even in the top 10. Well done Travel & Leisure Magazine. A real waste of your time.

No criteria for pollution, insane traffic or corruption ?

55555555555555555 good for them. HaHaHa..........seems fishy--as many things are missing here. Was it Luxury holidays ????????? posh tours ??? The HUB of capitols.

Together with the Mandarin Oriental--very nice Posh again--The HUB of hotels. The Thai governer is going over to pay them=== oops== to personally collect the award. Siem Reap above Barcelona and others. Well-this is just after the 3rd in the world by another poll just recently =topic on forum. so this is for 2011-incorporating the Bkk riots and the airport blockade world recession-and foreign exchange poor rates. I would have thought that Thailand for 2010-2011would be by-passed this time. This was stated to be an annual poll.

CalzoHoudini, What great city are you from? The people of New York are what makes it N.Y.

Not that I'm wanting to get in to an argument about New Yorkers but I've spent my share of time in the City so I'm talking from my own personal experiences. I'm from the beautiful city of Edinburgh.

Bangkok named World’s Best City by Travel & Leisure Magazine

BANGKOK, 9 July 2011 (NNT) – Bangkok has been named the World’s Best City 2011 by the globally renowned travel magazine Travel & Leisure while the awarding ceremony will take place on 14 July in the US.

Based on Travel & Leisure’s annual survey conducted on its readers’ opinions regarding the best travel destinations in the world, Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra announced that the Thai capital of Bangkok was ranked first on the list and was granted the World’s Best Award 2011. This year is the third time for Bangkok to receive the award after 2008 and 2010.

The Thai capital garnered a vote of 90.99 percent, followed by Italy’s Florence and Rome with 89.92 percent and 88.45 percent, respectively. Others making the top ten are New York, Istanbul, Cape Town, Siem Reap, Sydney, Barcelona and Paris.

Factors taken into account by respondents in the survey include location, scenery, art and culture, food, shopping, hospitality and cost-worthiness.

MR Sukhumbhand is scheduled to travel to Los Angeles, USA, to receive the World’s Best Award 2011 on behalf of Bangkok on 14 July.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-07-09 footer_n.gif

In the original post, it read that Governor Sukhumbhand will travel to NEW YORK to collect the award (even though the awards ceremony is being held in Los Angeles). Now, a new post. No more "Governor", now "MR" and he is going to LA instead of NY. Great editing in the first article!!

The sad thing is the Thais believe this rubbish.

Bangkok is a great city in many ways, but decades behind hundreds of other cities the World over in manners, pollution, organisation and standard of living.

None of which were criteria in the readers poll, which rate it as a travel destination, not a place to live.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/methodology/2011

I always think of this when I see these sort of headlines........... Times newspaper voted best newspaper ( as voted for by times employees) does not mean a thing. Everyones is different and then there are whi have a different agenda and then the ones who have an envelope under the table. I am sure Bangkok is a lovelly city as are others.

credibility . . . the same magazine voted NZ's Christchurch as the 4th best city in Australia, New Zealand, and South Pacific

I'd put it higher than that; perhaps No.1 in that region and certainly well over & above anything in australia.

Having lived in NYC for a very long time I can tell you passionately that if the people of New York were "spayed and neutered", there would be far less intelligence in this world, not to mention creativity and sophistication. NYC is known the world over for it's intellectual capitol, and as much as I like Bangkok and believe it is a city of note, it pales in comparison to the influence one might gain, from simple osmosis, by living amongst New Yorkers.

'intelligence, creativity and sophistication' and NYC somehow don't gel. That it appeared on the list at all reveals a lot about the reader. Awful place, and where's the culture! On Bkk, take away the totty and it would be way down the list where NY should be. These folks are clearly not well travelled, not even a wisp of Barcelona. What a waste of bandwidth.

credibility . . . the same magazine voted NZ's Christchurch as the 4th best city in Australia, New Zealand, and South Pacific

I'd put it higher than that; perhaps No.1 in that region and certainly well over & above anything in australia.

Having lived in NYC for a very long time I can tell you passionately that if the people of New York were "spayed and neutered", there would be far less intelligence in this world, not to mention creativity and sophistication. NYC is known the world over for it's intellectual capitol, and as much as I like Bangkok and believe it is a city of note, it pales in comparison to the influence one might gain, from simple osmosis, by living amongst New Yorkers.

'intelligence, creativity and sophistication' and NYC somehow don't gel. That it appeared on the list at all reveals a lot about the reader. Awful place, and where's the culture! On Bkk, take away the totty and it would be way down the list where NY should be. These folks are clearly not well travelled, not even a wisp of Barcelona. What a waste of bandwidth.

Did you hear Jack? They had an earthquake and it now looks like a war zone - both Cathedrals and the largest hotel to be demolished, 5,000 homes bought by the govt to stop people re-building. Not to mention the destruction of roads, sewers and other infrastructure, and the almost daily aftershocks and tremors that have most of the population (still there) nervous wrecks. I have a friend who lives there and works in the tourism sector over here at the moment because he has no work and is tired of watching his home slowly fall to pieces.

"..........certainly well over & above anything in australia." yeah, right.

I love bangkok. The city has a life to it. So many things to do. So many interesting people. Great food.

The best hotels in the world. I can stay at a 4 star hotel in Bangkok for the same price as I would pay for a 1 star Hotel in Europe.

We had this discussion last year when the same announcement was made. Travel & Leisure is no Conde Nast is it? A small circulation with vested interests and paid product placements. Bangkok is indeed an interesting city and worthy of a visit, but is it really in the same league as Barcelona, or Paris? Bangkok doesn't have the international convention facilities of Singapore, or New York or London. I suppose those people that enjoy an over crowded polluted city with limited green space, oppressive heat, and a rip off on every corner with lots of hookers and sex for sale, then Bangkok is probably the number 1 destination. Sorry, but the shopping is just as good in Singapore, and Singapore is far more tourist friendly than Bangkok will ever be. As an added plus in Singapore, I can drink the tap water, and a police officer will help me, not try and shake me down. There are so many other cities big and small in Thailand that are more interesting, beautiful and diverse. Siem Reap makes the list? How PC of the magazine. The metro of Paris smells of piss and that I suppose is where the similarity between Bangkok and Paris begins and ends.

yea seriously,

i ve been patted down and had my paperwork and books leafed through whilst 'me, police' 'looking for weapons' more than enough tmes in the past few months, granted the police are supposed to be working but these guys REALLY ARE trying to intimidate with aggression and brutishness.

they almost hate it when they don't find a reason to be paid to go away.

fake cigarette butts and jaywalking 'fines' c'mon!!!

are they even QUALIFIED to be police? and dont get me started on the doctors....

ef

Christchurch in news today - very scenic at this time of year. 'Demolition tourism' is really taking off.

5261586.jpg

Demolition derby: Crews are working frantically to bring down damaged buildings in Cashel Mall.

British and American crews have been brought in to help demolish damaged buildings in Christchurch's battered CBD, but there are still not enough skilled workers or equipment to allow the deconstruction work to continue on weekends. Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority demolitions manager Warwick Isaacs told the Sunday Star-Times that, in an ideal world, demolition crews would be working 24/7 but there was simply not enough capacity to allow that to happen. Work on demolishing the multi-storey carpark next to the Hotel Grand Chancellor was scheduled to begin this week. Once that building was down, demolition crews could move in and start tearing down the hotel itself. Work on pulling down some of the other tall buildings in the red zone, including the Clarendon Towers in Cathedral Square, would begin shortly.

As for Bangkok - it's just a readers' poll from one magazine.

Edited by Atmos

You're all missing the point, it's about value for money. If you have a budget of $100 a day (which is in the range of your average T&L reader), Bangkok offers a more memorable, comfortable experience than any others polled. Can you afford to get a taxi from the airport directly to your hotel in NYC? Can you realistically stay in a five star hotel in Paris? Does Barcelona have sweet smiling reception staff? How much does a cup of coffee cost in London? Is there anything in Sydney as beautiful as the Grand Palace complex?

No criteria for pollution, insane traffic or corruption ?

In voting to choose the World's Best City, respondents were asked to rate sights, culture and the arts, restaurants and food, people, shopping, and value.

Khao San Road included.............................:jap:

You're all missing the point, it's about value for money. If you have a budget of $100 a day (which is in the range of your average T&L reader), Bangkok offers a more memorable, comfortable experience than any others polled. Can you afford to get a taxi from the airport directly to your hotel in NYC? Can you realistically stay in a five star hotel in Paris? Does Barcelona have sweet smiling reception staff? How much does a cup of coffee cost in London? Is there anything in Sydney as beautiful as the Grand Palace complex?

It does not surprise me that Bangkok has been voted the top city in the world once again. I enjoy the history and culture, the culinary scene and daily life this city has to offer every time I stay there.

It is quite reasonable for a vacation compared to places I have been to in many European countries. I do live in New York City, one of the priciest vacation places where the cost of public transportation keeps going up every other month, and parking fees in Manhattan go trough the roof ($36.00 for 4 hours parking in a Midtown garage). You better be prepared to spend lots of money when dining out, go to the theater, the museum or a sporting event.

Value and things to do are the main criteria when looking for a vacationing spot and Bangkok is the perfect choice.