Aeon V Siam Commercial V Bangkok Bank

Hey, Chivas

Yeah, a complete report of the numbers that showed up on your bank account would be appreciated. As shown, the fees Halifax charges could no way result in the numbers you posted.

Also, I'm having trouble resolving the lead-in statement to this thread, "For some time I have been advocating that the true cost of using Aeon is hidden behind not charging the 150 baht ATM fee," with the following quotes in your sister thread:

Wife was given the option to decline the [150 baht] transaction...my online account clearly shows 10150 baht withdrawal.

So which is it..... is Aeon "not charging the 150 baht ATM fee". Or are they?

Hey, Chivas

Yeah, a complete report of the numbers that showed up on your bank account would be appreciated. As shown, the fees Halifax charges could no way result in the numbers you posted.

Also, I'm having trouble resolving the lead-in statement to this thread, "For some time I have been advocating that the true cost of using Aeon is hidden behind not charging the 150 baht ATM fee," with the following quotes in your sister thread:

Wife was given the option to decline the [150 baht] transaction...my online account clearly shows 10150 baht withdrawal.

JG,

I consider you one of the more sensible members within this forum but I'm not dispaying my accounts (not Halifax because as JJ is waiting to tell everyone £300 is maximum daily)

Have already told everyone reading what bottom line figure was-now you either accept OR do what I suggested and do the test yourself when rates locked down. To the idiot JJ for final time it doesn't <deleted> matter if Visa Or Mastercard are charging 20% ok !!

Its extremely simple.

To your second question yes AEON in Buriram where informing users of the 150 baht charge prior to final execution in months Ive already mentioned. It was rescinded by whatever means, and subsequently notice put on front of ATM.

It now does not charge 150 baht or attempt to.

End of-AEON are as or more expensive than other providers and quite frankly only a congenital idiot in Thailand would expect otherwise.

DO THE TRANSACTION YOURSELF.

I suspect that the Thai banks charging 150 baht may be bypassing the Visa/Mastercard network fee in order to include their 150 baht fee. So they may use the bank sight bill or TT rate, add their fee and present to your home bank in your home currency.

The Thai banks owning the ATM machines can't change the MC/Visa network fee (nor would it add to their bottom line if they could). This is the fee the networks charge the issuing bank -- normally, 1% (and which the issuing bank can choose to pass on to the card holder). Also, the ATM owners don't mess around with the network's conversion rate. (-- unless using, and declaring, Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)). The exchange rate makes no difference to them -- they get a flat fee per transaction. And, if they charge 150 bt, this comes back when they're reimbursed for the 25000 baht dispersal, i.e., they get 25150 baht -- what was charged to the cardholder -- delivered to their coffers (plus flat fee). They could care less what the exchange rate was that required X number of dollars to buy 25150 baht.

And even with DCC, the ATM owners can't mess with the networks's foreign transaction fee, which the networks get even tho' conversion is now taking place by the ATM owners and their acquiring banks. And, again, this fee is profit for the networks, not the ATM owners, so messing with it makes no sense.

But by screwing you, the cardholder, with their self-declared higher conversion rates, they get a nice spread, by using the networks' favorable exchange rate to repatriate those inflated DCC dollars -- to buy, say, 26000 baht. That neat profit is divided between the ATM owner and his acquiring bank. Now, the networks can still smile somewhat, because their 1% fee is a percent of your dollars -- which under DCC are now, say, $900, not a more favorable (to you) $887.

The exchange rate you get (accept for DCC) is that dictated by the networks. It is pretty close to the TT rate -- in fact, today's Visa FX site posted 29.8 baht to the USD. This is posted 11:00 AM Thai time. The TT rate for the day also hovered around 29.8. Over time, you'll find that Visa rates (again, with USD) are 6 to 7 satang better than the TT rate. MC is 9 to 10 satang below TT.

As I wrote earlier, I'm not sure, as I not there on the ground, but I think that I remember reading a report that suggested that they may be using DCC. Hopefully people on the ground can contribute more accurate information.

Chivas seems to miss the point. It's not about winning an argument in any way that you can. It's about allowing ourselves the most accurate and up to date information so that we can can keep abreast of developments.

What baffles me about Chivas when it comes to his "26 years of financial experience"(he states 23 years on another forum) is why he is using a Halifax Debit card at all whilst abroad. Surely such a experienced financial expert would use a zero rated card??

Also, why doesn't he understand that his bank is carving off 2.75% off the exchange rate, explaining why it appears AEON is giving him a lower rate. But this was explained to him more than a month ago.

I'm still thinking that some of the Thai banks are using DCC and presenting in the home currency. That would cut out the his banks 2.75% cut and go some way to explaining his figures. But as they are incomplete, we can't be sure.

Of what we can be sure is that he refuses to ever admit he is wrong. He will just start another thread or just post the same thing on another forum.

I think there is something pathological about him. Not an easy thing to write, but this is one of many instances.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Hey, Chivas

JG,

I consider you one of the more sensible members within this forum but I'm not dispaying my accounts (not Halifax because as JJ is waiting to tell everyone £300 is maximum daily)

Have already told everyone reading what bottom line figure was-now you either accept OR do what I suggested and do the test yourself when rates locked down. To the idiot JJ for final time it doesn't <deleted> matter if Visa Or Mastercard are charging 20% ok !!

Its extremely simple.

To your second question yes AEON in Buriram where informing users of the 150 baht charge prior to final execution in months Ive already mentioned. It was rescinded by whatever means, and subsequently notice put on front of ATM.

It now does not charge 150 baht or attempt to.

End of-AEON are as or more expensive than other providers and quite frankly only a congenital idiot in Thailand would expect otherwise.

DO THE TRANSACTION YOURSELF.

So Chivas, if it was not the Halifax Visa Debit then which card was it? Knowing the card will allow us to check the exact charges levied.

AEON are not more expensive, it is your bank that makes them appear that way. I clearly illustrated how AEON would be cheapest with a zero rated card.

If you were more honest, you would tell us whether the amount from the two Thai banks were presented to your bank in Pounds or Thai baht.

We don't need to see your accounts. We only need to know the exact charges corresponding to each withdrawal, not just the charges that you decide that we should know.

This is your usual modus operandi. Make accusations, refuse to provide proof, mock anger and then off to begin another thread elsewhere.

Only facts and figures if you please.

In addition, since you know that the discrepancy from the AEON Visa/Mastercard rate is because of your bank, why the statement, ""For some time I have been advocating that the true cost of using Aeon is hidden behind not charging the 150 baht ATM fee,"

That doesn't make any sense regardless of your argument. It is just crass stupidity, especially from someone who claims to have so much experience in the banking industry.

I've read some of your other claims, such as "it is not possible to get the VISA/Mastercard via an ATM". Do you remember that one?

As predicted...OP has vacated the thread without providing vital information. Apparently more interested in scoring points than getting to the truth.

We are still waiting for the designation of the UK bank card, all of the charges corresponding to the withdrawals and whether the Thai bank ATM withdrawals where presented to his bank in Pounds or Thai baht(in other words; are there Thai baht amounts printed on his UK bank statement next to the SCB and BB transactions).