Re-Chrome Bike Accessories

eek

Have some chrome work/accessories on my bike and would like it re-chromed. Does any one know where i can have this done? (and, if you know, any idea of cost?)

Just trying to weigh up if cost wise it make sense to replace the parts, or have the parts re-chromed.

Thank you!

Thanks for the info transam. Might be better if i just replace the parts then. Will think it over. ..and foot doin ok cheers! (Actually ended up having a much more serious accident on a back road after Khun Yuam. Still on the mend, and the aftermath gonna take time, but getting there!)

Baz, that link doesnt seem to be working for me ..sites seems to be down atm..? Will check it out later tho. Cheers :)

The cost effectiveness of replating would depend upon how scarce the parts are and how many of them there are. If original parts were readily available and there weren't many. I would buy new. This wouldn't necessarily save money but there is a gaurantee of quality.

Replating is a time consuming process and the end product is dependant on effective quality control at all stages. You won't fully understand how good or bad the condition of your parts are in until the original plating has been removed. Some areas may need to be welded. The final chrome finish is merely a reflection of the polished the base metal. So it is very important. to remove all flaws before plating. If you're looking for a highly polished finish, then you should go for triple plate (copper/nickel/chrome) the first two should be buffed before the next plating is applied.

Take a look at the companies already suggested in Chiang Mai. Richco offer a powder coat service but should be able to steer you to a company for plating.

If you decide to look around, pay attention to the polishing area and the equipment they have. For your needs they must have a sand blaster as well as machines for polishing and buffing. You will be able to see the plating area but unless it is really dirty it should be okay. Most plating shops look pretty grubby. They will most likely have samples of their work for you to see so you can judge if they meet your needs or not.

Two thousand baht to polish and chrome a rack and side bars seems a little light but hey, if you can get the same kind of price it could clinch the deal.

Good luck

The quality of the chrome shops in Chiangmai is dismal to say the least. I have taken parts back several times only to give up in the end.

They either don't know or more likely don't care as the locals will accept their crappy work and are unwilling to pay to have it done right. To my knowledge no one in CM does triple plating.

I have discussed this with Richco and the response from the chromers is that it is the unwilling to pay factor and Richco sends his work to BKK for quality triple chrome

I now tend to powder coat what I can

• 2 weeks later...

The quality of the chrome shops in Chiangmai is dismal to say the least. I have taken parts back several times only to give up in the end.

They either don't know or more likely don't care as the locals will accept their crappy work and are unwilling to pay to have it done right. To my knowledge no one in CM does triple plating.

I have discussed this with Richco and the response from the chromers is that it is the unwilling to pay factor and Richco sends his work to BKK for quality triple chrome

I now tend to powder coat what I can

So there's no good plating shops in Chiang Mai, or was it that there is a good place but it's expensive?

Who was not willing to pay the price? The plating shop or Richco?

Just curious as I live closer to Chiang Mai than Bangkok. It's a nicer place to visit as well.