Honda Crf 250L

RED21

Don't be to envious guys it's not all it's cracked up to be no electric in the daytime and cold water showers only ,after 5 years here I've had enough off it and am off back to England after high season to re-evaluate my life and get some stability back.....you know the saying grass is always greener and all that.....

Edited by taninthai

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't be to envious guys it's not all it's cracked up to be no electric in the daytime and cold water showers only ,after 5 years here I've had enough off it and am off back to England after high season to re-evaluate my life and get some stability back.....you know the saying grass is always greener and all that.....

I spent 4 weeks back in the UK recently and realised that the nature and countryside that I took for granted there equals Thailand and in many cases surpasses it, just can't match Thailand for the weather. Here, like you, I also live adjacent to water, trouble is it's got rice growing in it and is full of cobras that like to lie in the shade in our garden.

Maybe you going up hill ,should get 130 display on speedo in gear 5 then 140 in gear 6 gps reading will be about 10% less

yes, i remember its a slight uphill. anyone know what the top speed of the new cbr250? since they have the same engine then they can probably get to the same speed.

The crf is tuned for low down power according to a guy on another forum who has crf & cbr he says the crf accelerates quicker than the cbr but obviously loses out on to end power.

In all honesty if you want to travel everywhere at above 120 you have bought the wrong bike the crf is pretty unstable at them speeds ,maybe you should have bought the cbr think it sits nicely at 150 all day long

The crf is tuned for low down power according to a guy on another forum who has crf & cbr he says the crf accelerates quicker than the cbr but obviously loses out on to end power.

In all honesty if you want to travel everywhere at above 120 you have bought the wrong bike the crf is pretty unstable at them speeds ,maybe you should have bought the cbr think it sits nicely at 150 all day long

I'm not into speed. Just curious with condition of the engine.

Edited by alco

• 3 weeks later...

Allow me me to tap into your experiences here. I've bought a CRF250L but soon found out that I will have too soften up the rear suspension somehow. If I understand correctly this would either mean changing the rear shock (or just it's spring) or putting in a lowering link (which as a side effect changes the shock's leverage and thus the sought softening).

Now if I go for the first option, first thing I'd have to find out is the spring rate of the CRF250L's current shock: Anyone? Second would be to find an aftermarket supplier of a softer version for the shock: Are they there yet? Suggestions?

If I go for the second option, I just would like to hear some experiences from people that have applied a lowering link. I'm looking at a link that will lower the bike 1.75". Are we talking significant softening?

I know, many off road bikers find it already too soft as it is, so you might be curious as to why I'd want to soften up. Well, if you talk any spine language: straight back, deteriorated disk. Small irrigularities on seemingly smooth tarmac are clearly noticable, tension builds, fatigue, pain etc. I hardly ride off road (find the bike great for short commutes and mountain roads) so the the softness would not bother me (nor would the lowering).

So I'm looking for:

- What's the spring rate of the CRF250L standard rear shock?

- Suppliers of softer shocks or springs?

- Experiences with softening effects of lowering links

- Ehh.. any better ideas?

Any help appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Took a couple off heavy drops yesterday seems to have stressed the right hand side footpeg paint flaked off and the smallest of cracksn appeared

post-105817-13577269689057_thumb.jpg

post-105817-13577269902679_thumb.jpg

post-105817-13577270211683_thumb.jpg

Have seen another pic off a crf on a thai forum where this actually bent his frame, mine looks nothing to serious and warranty is not gonna cover crash damage worst case scenario would be having to reweld footpeg back on if it come completely off,suppose you could claim on insurance if it was serious damage to frame.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

• 1 month later...

@ tanithai: My footpegs has that crack appearance worst than yours but i can't tell if its the metal that crack or just the paint. The frame where my foot peg attaches to also have dent. Also had bent shifter but that one is easy to bend back into original shape.

My bike also have deformed radiator as seen on photo. You can see that it is quiet a heavy crash. One of my mates just replaced his radiator after it leaked following a crash. Mine seems to still work fine so no plan of replacement but if i will replace it, i will also consider getting a radiator guards.

IMG_1213_zps8e7047a5.jpg

Sharing my other experience, as i were riding a steep uphill and on the ruts, the chain of my bike got off and got stuck between the spokes and nuts that hold the rear sprocket. Chain must have hit some rocks at just the right angle for it to come off.

IMG_1211_zps1fb30844.jpg

Lol your radiator looks exactly the same as mine except when mine bent it made contact with the fan and the spinning fan put a hole in the radiator,repaired it with liquid metal 3 months ago and it seems fine.there is a rad guard out in america but it doesnt look like it will protect much more just for show.

Just alittle unlucky there with the chain did you manage to get it back on.

Allow me me to tap into your experiences here. I've bought a CRF250L but soon found out that I will have too soften up the rear suspension somehow. If I understand correctly this would either mean changing the rear shock (or just it's spring) or putting in a lowering link (which as a side effect changes the shock's leverage and thus the sought softening).

Now if I go for the first option, first thing I'd have to find out is the spring rate of the CRF250L's current shock: Anyone? Second would be to find an aftermarket supplier of a softer version for the shock: Are they there yet? Suggestions?

If I go for the second option, I just would like to hear some experiences from people that have applied a lowering link. I'm looking at a link that will lower the bike 1.75". Are we talking significant softening?

I know, many off road bikers find it already too soft as it is, so you might be curious as to why I'd want to soften up. Well, if you talk any spine language: straight back, deteriorated disk. Small irrigularities on seemingly smooth tarmac are clearly noticable, tension builds, fatigue, pain etc. I hardly ride off road (find the bike great for short commutes and mountain roads) so the the softness would not bother me (nor would the lowering).

So I'm looking for:

- What's the spring rate of the CRF250L standard rear shock?

- Suppliers of softer shocks or springs?

- Experiences with softening effects of lowering links

- Ehh.. any better ideas?

Any help appreciated!

Have you checked the tire pressure, tires are usually over inflated and will result in hard jarring. The difference between 35psi and 60 psi is a shockwave to the skull.

The shock should also be able to be adjusted by turning the adjustment.

Edited by KRS1

Lol your radiator looks exactly the same as mine except when mine bent it made contact with the fan and the spinning fan put a hole in the radiator,repaired it with liquid metal 3 months ago and it seems fine.there is a rad guard out in america but it doesnt look like it will protect much more just for show.

Just alittle unlucky there with the chain did you manage to get it back on.

Thanks for the info. I have to check if the fan blade making contact with the rad! I have seen the rad guard from the US, it is 1/8" thick aluminum which suppose to protect the rad. I am also skeptical if that can do any good during a crash. I'm also thinking of having the local welding shack make one for me using steel bar.

Had a hard time getting the chain out specially while on the steep uphill. Have to remove the front sprocket and bottom chain guard to have more room. Finally got it out by BENDING most of the spokes at the sprocket side. Now i have to re-align the wheel. It should have gone out easier if only the bolts that hold the sprocket can be undone, since the chain got caught between the nuts and the spokes. As I have learned those hex head got rounded the first time you would try to turn it, very soft metal. Now also looking for replacement for those bolts. Any ideas how to remove those bolts and where to get replacement?

• 3 weeks later...

@ tanithai: My footpegs has that crack appearance worst than yours but i can't tell if its the metal that crack or just the paint. The frame where my foot peg attaches to also have dent. Also had bent shifter but that one is easy to bend back into original shape.My bike also have deformed radiator as seen on photo. You can see that it is quiet a heavy crash. One of my mates just replaced his radiator after it leaked following a crash. Mine seems to still work fine so no plan of replacement but if i will replace it, i will also consider getting a radiator guards.IMG_1213_zps8e7047a5.jpgSharing my other experience, as i were riding a steep uphill and on the ruts, the chain of my bike got off and got stuck between the spokes and nuts that hold the rear sprocket. Chain must have hit some rocks at just the right angle for it to come off.IMG_1211_zps1fb30844.jpg

Thesse radiators need protection. My friend has replaced two already from dropping his bike. The bikes fan runs a lot compared to a klx. Do they sell ice type coolant here in thailand?

His fork seals just blew out last week too :(

Edited by yankee99

Alco I get most of my stuff from dirtshop bkk just email them and normally arrives in 2 days from bkk to krabi

there is now a decent rad guard available but I've only seen it in the USA so far it bolts across the radiator and then onto the frame once fitted there no way your rad is gonna bend

Pick it up tomorrow smile.png

Congrats ! Always thought it was a good/fun looking bike

You going to Motard the wheels?

133k seems like a good deal too eh?

I thought they were 137+

Cheers Mania

No, she's staying normal for playing off-road...seeing as I couldn't get the Hyper I've had a rehash of what I want...this will fill one gap, and something else will fill the other gap whistling.gif

133K is a good price, especially since they don't clog the showrooms. Down here in Songkhla / Hat Yai they're 138K.

I'm waiting for the M!

Should be out next month.

133K is a good price, especially since they don't clog the showrooms. Down here in Songkhla / Hat Yai they're 138K.

I'm waiting for the M!

Should be out next month.

I paid 130k incl. all papers, insurance and transportation to my place 35Km away from Bowin 5 month ago. I have seen ads with CRF priced at 125 900 baht just after i bought mine.

Edited by TramsRepus