Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

Got mine (pink card) having the yellow book issued in Bangkok easy peazy

What district office (khet), please?

Phra Khanong did mine. Took 40mins, 20 to get all the data and photo and 20 to motivate the machine. They almost disassembled it :)

• Like 1

Got mine (pink card) having the yellow book issued in Bangkok easy peazy

What district office (khet), please?

Phra Khanong did mine. Took 40mins, 20 to get all the data and photo and 20 to motivate the machine. They almost disassembled it smile.png

Great news! I was the first one at Pra Khanong and it took months, including several calls to the Ministry. It is great to see that development took place and all is easy now.

• Like 2

There were some changes in the office, department head moved to another location. Got my yellow book some 4 years ago, was a bit easier that time probably. But it's a huge district, they got things working efficiently.

I tried to use my pink card when buying foreign currency at Superrich today but they insisted on a passport (since I was giving them baht). Perhaps this is just because they want to make sure I am a bona fide traveller before they sell me foreign currency.

Has anyone tried registering a mobile SIM with the pink card? At 7-11 they just stick a Thai ID card in their Electronic Purse gadget to register a SIM, so presumably the pink card would work too.

• Like 1

I tried to use my pink card when buying foreign currency at Superrich today but they insisted on a passport (since I was giving them baht). Perhaps this is just because they want to make sure I am a bona fide traveller before they sell me foreign currency.

Has anyone tried registering a mobile SIM with the pink card? At 7-11 they just stick a Thai ID card in their Electronic Purse gadget to register a SIM, so presumably the pink card would work too.

My wife who is Thai was refused at Super Rich head office when she tried to use her Thai ID. Passport only.

At least they are consistent.

• Like 1

My wife who is Thai was refused at Super Rich head office when she tried to use her Thai ID. Passport only.

At least they are consistent.

That's outright ignorant. Time to call the superior.

No Thai can be refused business because he has no passport.

Few have one, no obligation.

• Like 1

Same as my wife (thai) passport only at superrich no excuses!

pink card won't work at a 7-11 cause no chip in it like a Thai ID....... Unfortunately

Just stumbled across this thread. To save the trouble of wading through all 32 pages, a quick yes or no, is this link just for PR holders or is it available to holders of the Yellow Book?

Thanks.

I had a very pleasant time with "Pu^u to^ng oo", the manager for the department when I did my pink ID card at Amphur Huaykwang. She was very knowledgeable and confirmed to me that only permanent residency holders may get a pink ID card. This is matching the formal documentation she showed me perfectly

Saying that though, if you come in the morning when they are not busy, if you do your homework perfectly and come with all the correct papers the first time, if you already have the yellow tabien baan, if the supervisor woke up on the right side that morning, if you are very nice there are no language problems and most importantly, if the manager doesn't know that only permanent residency holders are entitled to get the card, then you can be lucky and get it anyway

It's a long shot but by all means, do try. A few amphurs will probably issue it :)

• Confused 1

When I got my new Pink ID card a couple of months ago I was told that the head office is the only place that can approve the ID card. While the local office may print it, it ultimately must be approved from the central office (assume the interior ministry). That said this is Thailand and I am sure if I didn't pay proper respect to the local district office officials then they wouldn't have printed it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Super Rich are normally pretty relaxed about rules compared to regular banks. Perhaps the passport thing is Bank of Thailand regulation in regards to buying foreign currency?

I have bought and registered several prepaid SIM cards at an AIS office using Pink card only. They take a photo of it too, for some reason.

A couple of years ago a friend that visits BKK frequently lost his unregistered AIS SIM card. I called AIS and they said he could recover it using his passport but it would also require a police report which isn't required if the subscriber has a Thai ID card. I used my Pink ID and that was acceptable to them.

Something that surprised me at the time was that AIS had at least some level of access to the Govt system because from the 13 digit ID number they knew my name. I saw it on the screen.

Edited by thedemon
  • Like 1

1.) Thai people also have to show their passport when buying foreign currency. I am quite sure it is a Bank of Thailand regulation.

2.) I got a True Move H (4G) SIM card last year, when True offered 4G and AIS did not (yet). At the True shop, they accepted my Thai ID without any question or second thought. That was in Pattaya.

• Like 2

When I got my new Pink ID card a couple of months ago I was told that the head office is the only place that can approve the ID card. While the local office may print it, it ultimately must be approved from the central office (assume the interior ministry). That said this is Thailand and I am sure if I didn't pay proper respect to the local district office officials then they wouldn't have printed it.

Was "a couple of months ago" last year, but any chance? If so, you might consider that Thailand is a rapidly developing country and things change.

• Like 1

Just stumbled across this thread. To save the trouble of wading through all 32 pages, a quick yes or no, is this link just for PR holders or is it available to holders of the Yellow Book?

Thanks.

I had a very pleasant time with "Pu^u to^ng oo", the manager for the department when I did my pink ID card at Amphur Huaykwang. She was very knowledgeable and confirmed to me that only permanent residency holders may get a pink ID card. This is matching the formal documentation she showed me perfectly

Saying that though, if you come in the morning when they are not busy, if you do your homework perfectly and come with all the correct papers the first time, if you already have the yellow tabien baan, if the supervisor woke up on the right side that morning, if you are very nice there are no language problems and most importantly, if the manager doesn't know that only permanent residency holders are entitled to get the card, then you can be lucky and get it anyway

It's a long shot but by all means, do try. A few amphurs will probably issue it :)

So basically if the info that only PR holders are entitled to one becomes general knowledge what will happen to the cards issued to people who don't have PR but have managed to obtain one ?

Was "a couple of months ago" last year, but any chance? If so, you might consider that Thailand is a rapidly developing country and things change.

"A couple of months ago" was February 2016. This new Pink ID card replaced the original one I received when my PR was approved in mid-2015.

"A couple of months ago" was February 2016. This new Pink ID card replaced the original one I received when my PR was approved in mid-2015.

Interesting, thanks. Can you disclose which local office that was?

Thanks.

It's a long shot but by all means, do try. A few amphurs will probably issue it smile.png

So basically if the info that only PR holders are entitled to one becomes general knowledge what will happen to the cards issued to people who don't have PR but have managed to obtain one ?

Officers working at the amphur are generally afraid of making mistakes, if they find that they have done one, then they will certainly keep quiet

Nothing will happen :)

I went to the local Amphur Office in Udon Thani this afternoon to try and get this card. The pleasant and helpful staff provided one in about 40 minutes at a cost of 60 baht.

The only minor hiccup was getting them to accept "None" in the section for Religion.

There were two other foreigners in the queue ahead of me waiting for the same thing.

Yellow book, passport and Thai D.L. (+ copies) were the only documents needed. P.R. wasn't even mentioned.

• Like 1

Went to my local office in Sisaket, after convincing the staff and a phone call to head office they asked me to wait till all Thais in the Queue had their new ID card before they tried to print mine. Good thinking they tried mine last as computer system had all sorts of problems and they could not get it done even with remote support from HQ.

Not a big deal as they will give me a call when they have it fixed.

One question they asked me during filling out my information was what is my bloodtype.

Next time I'll have that information with me.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Net Suan Luang. Show blue Tabien ban, red and blue book, passport. Take picture and thumb print. Get my Pink Thai ID card for non Thai. Everything in 60 minutes no question asked. Smile from officer. I love Thailand. Very efficient.

• Like 2

Went to Net Suan Luang. Show blue Tabien ban, red and blue book, passport. Take picture and thumb print. Get my Pink Thai ID card for non Thai. Everything in 60 minutes no question asked. Smile from officer. I love Thailand. Very efficient.

Wow, thanks for the update.

Thanks.

It's a long shot but by all means, do try. A few amphurs will probably issue it smile.png

Thai PR holders are issued with an ID number starting with 8. This happens when they start the processing / issue of the initial PR Book after you have received the formal approval letter.

My lawyer acquaintance says 8 is absolutely reserved for PR holders and there are other starting numbers for other categories, meaning some other types of Tabien Baan books (e.g. yellow book).

• 2 weeks later...

I got my permanent residence in October last year (applied in December 2013). I tried to apply for a pink id card at my local baan amphuer in Bang Lamung but they gave the usual answer saying this card is only for Laotians, Cambodians etc. Does anybody have experience in applying in Bang Lamung, Pattaya or Sri Racha?

Second question: I tried to change my bank account information from passport number to 13 digit id with my local SCB branch in Laem Chabang showing them alien registration book, residence certificate, tabien baan with 13 digit id. But they said it's not possible, I don't have a thai id card etc. Could anybody share details on SCB Branches that have changed the account information to 13 digit so I could ask my branch to call that branch?

I got my permanent residence in October last year (applied in December 2013). I tried to apply for a pink id card at my local baan amphuer in Bang Lamung but they gave the usual answer saying this card is only for Laotians, Cambodians etc. Does anybody have experience in applying in Bang Lamung, Pattaya or Sri Racha?

Cannot help you with Eastern Seaboard amphurs, somebody else will chip in. If you come to Bangkok, you can do it here, though.

Second question: I tried to change my bank account information from passport number to 13 digit id with my local SCB branch in Laem Chabang showing them alien registration book, residence certificate, tabien baan with 13 digit id. But they said it's not possible, I don't have a thai id card etc. Could anybody share details on SCB Branches that have changed the account information to 13 digit so I could ask my branch to call that branch?

My experience with SCB Chidlom Branch: No can do. I tried that before I had the pink ID card, maybe they will be more customer friendly when they see the card.

I recall some posts in the Thai Citizenship thread referring to exactly the same issue with SCB. That was a recently naturalized Thai trying to have their account ID records switched from passport to Thai ID card. As I recall SCB said it couldn't be done.

I suspect it may be a technical problem related to switching the ID rather than SCB not recognizing the card. I say that because because I have opened an account at SCB using only my alien (pink) ID card and Tabien Baan. In fact when the bank officer was processing it she showed me the screen where there were 3 options for the ID to be used for opening the account: 1 - Thai ID card, 2 - Alien ID card and 3 - Passport.

It is logical that they would require an actual ID card in order to use your 13 digit ID number rather than just your Tabien Baan because the latter isn't photo ID.

Once you have your alien ID card, if SCB still can't switch your ID then it might be easier to just close that account and open a new one using the ID card only.

I have several accounts with Kasikorn and I had no problem having them all switched over from Passport to alien ID. Haven't tried with any other banks.

I had no luck with SCB (Chitlom branch) when I got my pink ID card and wanted to change my account records. They wouldn't even open another account using the new ID - so I gave up and closed my accounts with them and moved to Bangkok Bank (they didn't care and made no attempt to keep my business). I must say after holding an account with SCB for over 15 years I found them very unhelpful and unfriendly and Bangkok Bank are a lot more proactive at suggesting suitable accounts and even giving the mobile number of the staff to assist. Plus their branch at EmQuartier is super swish and closer to home.