Kbank Issues A T M Advisory To Customers

webfact

Is there any photo of the external hardware? I was told some people also install cameras to steal people's pins also. that's why they tell you to totally cover your hand while entering your pin.

Yes the external hardware is in plastic bags in the photo above. In this case there was an numeric keypad overlay which captured the pin numbers so using your hand to cover the keypad was useless.

I would suggest using security-chipped ATM cards as they are difficult to skim.

Sanuk

Thai ATMs cannot process “security-chipped ATM cards”.

To use my Belgian debit card in Thailand I had to ask my bank explicitly to allow the use of the magnetic strip instead of the chip.

Oh crap I just got my new card in the mail lol . I thought I saw UOB banks that had the chip. I will do some research to find a branch somewhere in Thailand that will only take my new card. Here's a link to some views of the overlays and tricks they use to scam info. Quite impressive.

Is there any photo of the external hardware? I was told some people also install cameras to steal people's pins also. that's why they tell you to totally cover your hand while entering your pin.

Yes the external hardware is in plastic bags in the photo above. In this case there was an numeric keypad overlay which captured the pin numbers so using your hand to cover the keypad was useless.

Sanuk

To use my Belgian debit card in Thailand I had to ask my bank explicitly to allow the use of the magnetic strip instead of the chip.

Oh crap I just got my new card in the mail lol . I thought I saw UOB banks that had the chip. I will do some research to find a branch somewhere in Thailand that will only take my new card. Here's a link to some views of the overlays and tricks they use to scam info. Quite impressive.

I guess the best way to thwart the thieves is to have two bank accounts. Transfer funds to an ATM account only right before you withdraw. Keep the minimum balance in that account for ATM withdraws only.

It's all in the TOS. A lot of banks will protect you from fraudulent charges BUT many also have an * for PIN related ATM transactions.

Stay inside banks and you should be okay. Also subscribe to SMS alerts if your banks offer that service so you can cancel your card right away if needed. I also limit all of my debit cards withdrawal amounts to a low amount except one and that account is one I'm looking at most of the day anyway. Also, for those of us using foreign debit cards as well, you might want to consider switching your transfer methods to the LOS, especially if you're in a situation where it's kind of a pain to get replacement atm cards.

:)

Good luck in trying to find online terms of service for most of the Thai banks' ATM cards and accounts.... And in opening accounts at various Thai banks, I can't recall ever being given or even shown a TOS document at the time of a new account opening.

But more to the point, the general policy used by most Thai banks is to hold ATM cardholders responsible for all fraudulent POS (Point of Sale/Swipe and Sign) charges to their debit cards ... until AFTER the cardholder has called or otherwise notified the bank of a lost, stolen or compromised card.

Sanuk

Thai ATM's can work with "security-chipped ATM cards". At least my card from a major Canadian bank.

To use my Canadian bank card in Thailand i did not have to ask my bank to allow use of the magnetic strip instead of the chip.

Instead, i simply inform them in advance every time i am taking a trip to Thailand, including what dates i'll leave & return.

BTW i use the card at ATM machines inside banks & never had a problem. Except one time i forgot my card, the machine ate it, & the bank retrieved it for me.

Edited by oldthaihand99